1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

John Hammond "Wicked Grin"

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Paul in Colorado, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't listen to much current blues music. Most of what I hear sounds like recycled suburban white guy blues that has little to offer that I haven't already heard. The other day I heard a version of Tom Waits "Heart Attack and Vine" on the radio that made my ears perk up. So I bought it. I got it yesterday and it's one of the best blues albums I've heard in years. Not a lot of flashy lead guitar. If that's what you're looking for go elsewhere. But if you're looking for some honest blues with deep roots, this is the record for you.

Among the players on it besides John are Augie Meyer on keys, Charlie Musselwhite on harp, Larry Taylor on bass and some guitar from producer Tom Waits.

2. neatone

neatone Tele-Holic

cool heads up!..hammonds an old pro…& great talent helpin as well

will definitely look into

ok i see...he does all waits covers..great idea…black mariah is great cut off rain dogs..had keith on guitar

cheers

3. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, probably one of the best interpreters Of Waits' material there is (and is a friend of Waits).

Los Lobos did a great cover of Jockey Full of Bourbon too:

4. BenM

BenM Tele-Meister

Love, love, love, love that recording—one of my top five all time for sure.

5. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

One of my all-time favorite discs-"Buzz Fledderjohn", "Get Behind the Mule" et al, just brilliant! Check out "Player!" by Nick Curran if you want to hear some non-suburban White Boy blues. And anything by James Harman............

6. BenM

BenM Tele-Meister

Nick Curran is great, I also think that Nick Waterhouse bucks that stereotype, if you can dig a little soul flavor in your blues.

7. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

+1 for Wicked Grin - I am a big John Hammond fan. I like all his albums. - He has recorded with some of the best; Bloomfield (piano), Robertson, Eddie Hinton, Charlie Baty, JJ Cale, Bill Wyman, the Nighthawks.

8. mrkenny

mrkenny Former Member

9. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Holic

That album came out quite a few years ago. Great covers of Wait's tunes. I was listening to it a few days ago.

10. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.