John Fogerty finally gets the rights to his songs back

ETMusic777

Tele-Meister

John Fogerty Regains Control Over Creedence Clearwater Revival Songs After Half-Century Fight​

“I’m the dad [of these songs]. I created them,” he says. “They never should have been taken away in the first place. And that hijacking left such a massive hole in me.” With the support and love of his manager and wife of 36 years, Julie Fogerty, he says he had gotten over the anger that plagued him for decades over Zaentz’s treatment, but the longing to own his songs never went away.

What is this catalog worth, if used in advertising etc? A few hundred million? It does not sound like he is looking to pimp out his music for cash this late in his life. Perhaps his estate will years from now though. Good for him to get some piece of mind after years of struggle.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
“I’m the dad [of these songs]. I created them,” he says. “They never should have been taken away in the first place.

They weren't taken away; John signed them away early on.

If I recall correctly, drummer Doug Clifford's dad was an attorney, and Clifford said he's have his dad review Fantasy Records' proposed contract for the band. Fogerty took Clifford at his word, but I suspect his dad never got eyeballs on it. Clifford wanted to be a rock star, and he told Fogerty after a few days the contract was good to sign. John blames Clifford for that, but he signed it, which gave ownership and publishing rights to Fantasy.

John was a bit naive to the legalities of the music biz--as were many musicians back then. Perhaps the most egregious example of this is what happened to the band Badfinger. Horrible.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs." -Hunter Thompson

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member

If I recall correctly, drummer Doug Clifford's dad was an attorney, and Clifford said he's have his dad review Fantasy Records' proposed contract for the band. Fogerty took Clifford at his word, but I suspect his dad never got eyeballs on it. Clifford wanted to be a rock star, and he told Fogerty after a few days the contract was good to sign. John blames Clifford for that, but he signed it, which gave ownership and publishing rights to Fantasy.

John was a bit naive to the legalities of the music biz--as were many musicians back then. Perhaps the most egregious example of this is what happened to the band Badfinger. Horrible.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs." -Hunter Thompson
Well yeah he signed but he was conned into signing without being told "we will now own all your artist output, cool?"

A key here that is still in place is that if you sign any agreement prepared by a lawyer, and you did not pay that lawyer?
As in the lawyer writing a contract between two parties?

The lawyer always writes the contract to the advantage of the guy who is paying.

Wheelhouse

Tele-Holic
Zaentz can't dance, but he'll steal your money, watch him or he'll rob you blind.

It's such a catchy hook, you just have to sing it 35 times.

I always felt for Fogerty. He may have been obsessed about it, but he had a reason. I can't imagine hearing your own songs played on the radio & TV, over and over for years, knowing that you have no right to them at all. People like Zaentz are trash, and all contracts should have expiration dates.

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
The complete quote: "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thomson (my emphasis)

Bob

bsman

Friend of Leo's
The complete quote: "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thomson (my emphasis)

Bob
Misquote - it was about the TV industry and isn’t quoted correctly: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjhofLF48L8AhWJtIkEHdmWBtkQFnoECBQQAQ&url=https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2013/04/24/thompson/&usg=AOvVaw39xmwh-qX1XdCP4PB28aPI

That said, I always thought Fogarty’s decades of pouting, ranting, and raging - even to the extent of allowing his brother to die without reconciling shows a small, mean spirit.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I wasn't there at the time, so who knows what was said. But I'd be fairly comfortable that Fogarty was deceived at the time as to what was in the contract. Seems unlikely he'd knowingly give all his rights away. That's not always a crime, but it's usually fraud. Meanwhile, Zaentz is known for underhanded dealing and screwing people over. So...

Congrats to him for finally getting closure on this.

bender66

Poster Extraordinaire
Glad he got his rights back. I don't blame him for being bitter. He got royally screwed, but he wasn't alone. The Beatles & the Stones were, also. Most earlier artists had it even worse. 😞
...and the Stones turned around and screwed other artists over as well. The Verve/Richard Ashcroft recently got the rights back to Bittersweet Symphony after the Stones bled it out. The U2/Negativeland fiasco was another, albeit it was just wrapping up a band in litigation long enough that they cease to exist.

Bo Didley...
Little Richard...

It eats it's own.

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic
The rights to the songs weren't part of the initial Fantasy deal. It was just a bad deal that paid little in the way of royalties to CCR. After CCR broke up, Fogerty did two Blue Ridge Rangers albums for Fantasy, and still owed them several albums under the initial deal. He wanted out, and signed over his publishing so they would void the contract.

...and the Stones turned around and screwed other artists over as well. The Verve/Richard Ashcroft recently got the rights back to Bittersweet Symphony after the Stones bled it out.
I believe it was Andrew Loog Oldham who went after The Verve. The main hook of 'Bittersweet Symphony' is from Oldham's 'orchestral version' of 'The Last Time'--he released an album of Stones songs given this treatment:

bender66

Poster Extraordinaire
I believe it was Andrew Loog Oldham who went after The Verve. The main hook of 'Bittersweet Symphony' is from Oldham's 'orchestral version' of 'The Last Time'--he released an album of Stones songs given this treatment:

...who was/had been managing/producing the Stones , & sued on "their" behalf. Allen Klein had a hand in it as well. Of course all made a ton of money off it over 20 yrs before they returned the rights.

loudboy

Tele-Afflicted
That said, I always thought Fogarty’s decades of pouting, ranting, and raging - even to the extent of allowing his brother to die without reconciling shows a small, mean spirit.
He screwed himself out of millions, and a rightful place in the pantheon of the true greats, by refusing to do any CCR songs and mucking things up in the courts, when the Big Book of Classic Rock was being written in the AOR days.

They were the possibly the biggest act on earth, from '69-'71, but then there was a solid decade where CCR got no airplay and had no visibility, which is a big part of the reason Fogarty plays small theaters now, instead of stadiums.