1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Joe Strummer 59 esquire announced, how much can I expect to spend?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by mimmo, Jan 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Joe is my guitar hero and even if it's not very punk-y, I like the idea of getting one of these Esquires.
    I've sent a couple of emails to Fender but got no answer, so I thought I could share my question here.

If you had to guess, what price point would you put this guitar at?

I know that the Fender Custom Shop can release amazing tributes, ultra precise down to the smallest detail and it can fetch 10-15K USD and it's not for my wallet; I could however afford a "cheaper" version.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Fendereedo, jays0n and petrels73 like this.
  2. mimmo

In order to celebrate the great Joe, I have the chance to get a pristine AV64 in sunburst colour, in very good shape, at a great price.

Since the main telecaster he played was originally a '66 sunburst one, the AV64 is a good candidate too.

My doubt is:
    1) to get the 64 now at a good price, knowing that these do not pop up on the used market very often, or
    2) to wait for the 59 esquire with the risk that the price would be out of reach.

What would you do?

mojek likes this.
  3. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I looked it up to see if I could find any info for you. None so far, but there was some info on a Mike McCready 1960 Stratocaster from the Custom Shop, priced at $17000 USD.

I would probably just get the AV64...

4. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

We're talking about this Esquire, right? Is that a '59 with the rosewood board?
    Haven't seen any announcement, but this is the one I think of ("1 May Take A Holiday" :) ) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oldfish, Martian, Old Plank and 2 others like this.
  5. mimmo

Thanks for chiming in.
    Yeah I saw that too, 17K is pretty scary isn't it? No way I would pay this amount of money, I'm just trying to figure out how much the 59 Esquire would cost.
    Fender CS van go really far..

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  6. mimmo

Yes, that's it. I really love this guitar but the price can be scary and I have an AV64 at a very good price available.

Decisions, decisions...

tce63 likes this.
  7. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

roll your own, save $$$$

8. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Right on. The finish on Joe's Esquire is pretty easy to replicate, and its all done with auto paints.

nojazzhere and mimmo like this.
  9. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

No idea about your market(s). If you get the AV64 now, would you get a similar price for it if you sold it later?

That way, you'd have a nice guitar in the meantime, and be able to flip it and get the Strummer if it works out, or keep the AV64 and customise it to look the same if the Strummer model turns out to be too expensive.

Pax/
    Dean

10. mimmo

Good point. Yes, the 64 costs way less than the new Chrissie Hynde and is in pristine conditions so I will likely sell it at the same price at least.
    I am really fighting with myself: a 59 esquire is a great idea, but I am quite sure that Joe would tell me that taking inspiration from someone else is good, trying to copy anybody is not good.

In other words, a mid '60s telecaster in sunburst would probably be the best way to go: similar enough to his Ignore Alien Orders telecaster without being crazy obsessed identical.

Then I will wait for the esquire, if I can't resist I will pull the trigger - otherwise I will be more than happy with the 64.

Jakedog and TokyoPortrait like this.
  11. mimmo

I thought that only the Ignore Alien Orders telecaster had the auto paint treatment, that is interesting.

Anyway, I've just spoken to the seller and told him that I am going to buy the 64.

We'll see in the future if the esquire speaks to me.
    Thanks guys for your help!

12. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

How much do you suppose the actual Joe Strummer paid for the actual guitar he actually played?

That Cal Webway and nojazzhere like this.
  13. mimmo

Well, I know that he could buy the actual telecaster with the money he got from a black woman he got married with, just to give her the English citizenship.

So from this perspective he paid a lot! :twisted:

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I seem to remember a story that in the early days they had better gear than their contemporaries because they would just "nick" it

15. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

Steve Jones, the guitarist in the Sex Pistols, was a habitual thief and there are numerous stories of him helping himself to equipment in connection with concerts by established artists. For years it was assumed that he stole his iconic alpine white LP Custom from either Mick Ronson or Paul McCartney, but more recently he admitted that it was acquired legally. Other guitars that passed through his hands were definitely stolen though. Johnny Rotten claimed their PA was stolen from Keith Richards, but who knows. It's almost certain that Jones' Twin Reverb was pilfered from either a Bowie or Marley gig.

So maybe you're mixing up the Pistols and the Clash. I don't recall tales of the Clash using stolen gear (and it's not that long since I read Viv Albertine's biographies that would surely have spread light on the subject, as Mick Jones' main squeeze during that period).

hemmings, djh22 and mimmo like this.
  16. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

How much can you expect to spend?
    Too

mimmo and Marc Morfei like this.
  17. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I read an interview with Joe Strummer in Guitar World back in probably 99 or 2000 or so where he said that was the only guitar he had used his whole life and it "sounded real ****." But we're talking 20 years of memory there, so I could be wrong.

mimmo likes this.
  18. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

Baker is about as close to the horses' mouth as you'll get, at least regarding the Clash days '76-'83

https://thebaker77.wordpress.com/20...red-joe-strummer-fender-telecaster-the-clash/

The Clash/Pogues/Latino Rockabilly War/Mescaleros

'66 Sunburst Tele, overpainted Black, rw neck <- the only guitar that mattered :)
    '59 White Esquire, "1 May Take A Holiday", rw neck <- his #2
    ?? Blonde Tele, rw neck <- backup #3?
    late 70's Black on Black maple neck Tele <- gift from CBS, apparently not up to scratch

101'ers

Gretsch White Falcon

And that's about it I think, except for video props etc.

For amps, originally a Twin Reverb, later a Music Man HD-120.

oldfish and mimmo like this.
  19. mimmo

Very good information.
    I can only add that Joe also owned a MIJ Squier Telecaster - I know it because it has been auctioned a few years ago and reached 25K USD. Not bad for a Squier.

In a interview Joe claimed that the esquire was the best sounding guitar he ever had, unfortunately I can't recall where I read this.
    And yes, the 66 black Us the one close to the AV 64 I am talking about.

20. mimmo

The Queen of all questions! :confused:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.