Joe Namath

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
I wouldn't be so sure of that, the pay scale then was a lot different than today. for instance, the Steelers dropped 4x Superbowl winner Terry Bradshaw because he wanted $100,000 a year.

It's based on the number of years that they played: Namath played 12 or 13 years so he gets around $7,000 a month which isn't too shabby. Plus, he has other endorsements, speaking engagements, etc.

BTW, Montana was great but Brady is the GOAT. Me, I'm old so I'm more of a Johnny Unitas fan myself and, at one time, he was the GOAT. It's a totally different game than it was at one time and keeps evolving.

Regardless, everyone is sick of Namath pushing Advantage plans but Shatner does as well. I'm tired of Selleck and Reverse Mortgages, Mr T and Ernie Hudson pitching CarShield. Of course nothing is as awful the personal injury lawyer commercials which are incessant in Florida.

chulaivet1966

Friend of Leo's
Of course nothing is as awful the personal injury lawyer commercials which are incessant in Florida.
I hear you....

The one showing all the time here is the Camp Lejeune water issue inviting old Jarheads from 3-4 decades ago to chime in and make their (fruitless) case.
I'm going to go out on a fragile limb and say....I believe only the attorneys make money with these sort of solicitations and that's where it ends.

But....that's just me. :)

ChicknPickn

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
If I recall correctly, he and Farrah Fawcett were in a Noxema advertisement in which Farrah coos "Let Noxema cream your face."

If you see anything objectionable about this, it's on you, not me.

1670451130420.png

Last edited:

ahiddentableau

Tele-Afflicted
I'm fascinated by Namath, especially the whole 60s sex god thing and how it didn't necessarily lead anywhere. The Mark Kriegel biography is a fun read if anybody is interested.

tele12

Poster Extraordinaire
Namath was tops in swag but was that really the case on the field? I'll defer to you and other folks who were there to see it, but off the top of my head I would think Johnny U and Fran Tarkenton were far better QBs on the field than Namath.

From what I barely remember and can research, it looks like Johnny U ruled the early/mid 60s and Fran's best years were in mid/late 70s, so Joe could arguably one of the best in late 60s early 70s.