1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Joe Cocker just destroyed my perception of life.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by coolikedat99, Nov 14, 2016.

1. coolikedat99

coolikedat99 Tele-Meister

A little backstory...

I've always had an inclination for the more technical things in life. Math came easier than creative writing. Drilling holes came easier than designing a solution to a mechanical problem that required the drilling of said holes.

Don't get me wrong. I always admired those who were more adept at less restrained activities, I just wasn't one of them.

This carried into my musical preferences, and I let it steer me away from what music is all about.

I focused on my scales, on getting that solo just right, on impressing audiences I performed for.

Then I watched Joe Cocker at Woodstock.

Boom. That was it. I decided that I was going to stop hyper-analyzing everything and just start experiencing things in a more relaxed way.

The ease with which Mr. Cocker could get lost in the simplest of songs inspired me to finally become that chilled-out guy who chooses to be in the moment more often.

I am absolutely enthralled with the benefit this attitude has made in my life recently. It's allowed me to finally connect with people easily. I can finally improvise in songs with no fear of judgement. I can finally enjoy the arts as venues for expression- not avenues for the ego.

I'm sure most musicians have had similar moments and I just wanted to share how I happened upon mine.

Thank you Joe Cocker!!! :D

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Congratulations. That's a good place to be if you're going to play music.

3. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

You could do much worse than emulating Joe Cocker. Not copying but feeling the freedom he sang/performed with

Fiesta Red likes this.
  4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's the way it has to be if you want to enjoy playing music..

Fiesta Red likes this.
  5. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

Rolling Stone called him "the magnificent Joe Cocker", and rightly so. His early albums before he damaged his voice are incredible. Later, what he couldn't do technically he more than made up for with sheer heart and soul.
    I knew a guy who married Joe's ex-wife, with whom Joe remained friends, and my buddy said Joe was one of the nicest people he'd ever met.
    I was not at all surprised.

Fiesta Red and Frank'n'censed like this.
  6. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

Joe Cocker moved me. I remember seeing him for the first time in the Woodstock movie and I was blown away. Saw him live with the Mad Dogs and Englishman Tour at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. Great night. BTW Leon Russel was part of that fantastic group of musicians.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

That's cool.
    He brings a lot.

8. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

That reminds me of a story. Many years ago I was asked to join a band that already had one guitar player. He wasn't bad, but I thought his playing was uninspired. One night he talked about a solo that I'd played, and he asked which scales I was using. Even though I had majored in music in college, I just had never thought about improvisation in those terms. And so I answered him as honestly as I could, "I don't know. I was just playing". Not long after that, the poor guy was let go from the band.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I fully agree with with loving the soul onslaught approach to music that Joe carried so well.
    Unfortunately it requires a great deal of tech approach to apply to guitar playing, and if one wants to play like Joe sang, they will need to delve deep into the math and "designing solutions to the mechanical problems that required the drilling of said holes".
    Nothing wrong with all that, and if one can separate and isolate the "hyper analyzing" for the woodshed, in order to put pure emotion into performance, I'd say they've reached perfection.

For my own playing, one thing that helps is I generally consider mistakes to be a sign that I or whomever am/is pushing the limits of our abilities rather than playing it safe for perfections sake.
    Yet in order to push our own limits we need to work hard to find them, reach them, and understand them.
    Then we need to learn to not injure ourselves while at our limits.
    As well as to follow and cooperate in a musical collaboration.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the OP?
    Was it more about just learning to relax and go with the flow?
    Not about delivering performance so powerful that drunk people stop drinking and trying to hookup?

Playing music should be like a contained volcanic eruption!
    OK I'll calm down now...

10. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

When I first saw Joe Cocker, which for me was also in the Woodstock movie, I was wondering what planet he was from. After a few minutes of that, I was wondering how he could be SO into the music that nothing else mattered. Not his appearance, not the way he sang, not the many, many thousands of people watching. It opened my eyes as to what being cool was really about.

Fiesta Red and Honest Charley like this.
  11. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

I'm a big Joe Cocker fan. And he was a man of science -- he was a plumber!

Otis Fine likes this.
  12. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

I've got to admit that I didn't quite get him the first time I saw him in the Woodstock movie,
    but after a while, it was more a case of "well, why not?". He was, as bowman pointed out, so into the music
    that nothing else mattered.

13. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

This Ray Charles song made me a Cocker fan.

P Thought likes this.
  14. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I once read a comment from a guy who taught music a lot who said that some students suffer from "id lock:" They can't let go, they are always thinking too much about the process and not enough about the doing. I certainly think that applies to me: it does not seem to have applied to joe

15. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

The op's first post speaks to the lasting qualities of a great performance that some 50 years later it can make such a profound impact to a listener if they are truly listening.
    Getting to a point where you will push your boundaries without over thinking or worrying about mistakes is very liberating. If you are wanting to see an extreme example of squeezing the soul out of a performance just watch The Voice or other such dreck.
    Its why everyone on those shows ends up sounding exactly alike. Stevie Wonder could go on one of those shows and end up sounding like Beyonce' for the over-analysis. Think about what they are doing.

Could you imagine Joe Cocker as a contestant[emoji23]
    I tend to get wrapped around the axle when writing sometimes. It takes a "Joe Cocker moment" sometimes to snap out of it.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  16. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

To the OP....Knew that the first time I heard Joe in the '60's.

17. coolikedat99

coolikedat99 Tele-Meister

I guess I didn't realize so many others had noticed the same thing about Joe. Very cool indeed.

Also, I find this to be too true. Nothing worse than performers forgetting that they're human, haha.

18. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

One of my favorite artists to play. When he sweats soul comes out.

19. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

An associate of mine turned me onto a fairly recent, live in the studio, DVD, of his...very impressive!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.