1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Joe Bonamassa: Why haven't I heard this guys music before?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EdgarHF, Aug 26, 2009.

1. EdgarHF

EdgarHF Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I downloaded You & Me a couple days ago. All I can say is, wow, why haven't I heard this guy before. I've seen his name floating around but I always hear hype about artists, but this guy is the real deal. I am now downloading Sloe Gin from iTunes. I am hoping its just as good.

2. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I really like his playing. I think he deserves more attention. He makes an appearance as a young mad in the movie about Tom Dowd.

3. TeleJelly

TeleJelly Tele-Meister

I just started getting into him, he is a very fresh and energetic player! I downloaded his LIVE From Nowhere in Particular CD and after rocking out to that I went and purchased his Live DVD Live from Rockpalast from Sam Goody. It is very good! I hear he has another live DVD Live at Royal Albert Hall slated for release September 29th.

4. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

I have the Rockpalast DVD. Joe kicks major ass! The reason you haven't heard from him is that he plays blues, and that doesn't get airplay.

5. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

If you hear a "name floating around" search on Youtube, Google, MySpace, iTunes or whatever floats your boat.

You're not gonna hear anything new on TV or the Radio you have to look for it.

I'm on the hunt everyday... :D

Joe Bonamassa - Blues Deluxe

6. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Dead on! I've got the Rockpalast DVD and almost all of his CDs. The latest one, The Ballad of John Henry, is great too. He is a dynamite player, even if he has forsaken Teles for his now beloved LPs.

7. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

8. FenderBenderNY

FenderBenderNY TDPRI Member

He's a super nice guy too. He's from my home town, and his dad runs a pretty good vintage guitar store out in Hamilton. I've met him once or twice when I was younger and he was always really cool to talk to.

9. addisj

addisj Tele-Meister

I love his cover of 'Walk in my Shadows'
    Great intro, he writes some great riffs too. just not to sure on his soloing.

10. wylde4canes

wylde4canes Tele-Holic

Yeah and i prefer his tone with fenders too, his LP tone is a little syrupy.

I read somewhere he felt like the fender through a fender tone had been done to death, and he wanted to set himself apart from that.

Great picker, good showman, love his stuff.

11. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

He and John Mayer should get together and do a "white guy hoarse soul voice" sing-off. :) Don't they sound alike, or what??!!

They're both INSANELY talented guitarists and singers. Maybe if John did a couple of pop songs and had some hits he'd be better known too. Just saying!!

I only really started listening to him a few months ago, and can't believe it took me so long. I must be jaded into thinking I've heard it all.

12. Jerolin

Jerolin Tele-Holic

I love Joe's stuff. Especially the song "Bridge to Better Days".

13. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

As good as Joe and John are, when I think of a great young blues player my mind still goes to the late Sean Costello. Alas, we won't be hearing anymore from him, sadly.

14. Jason S

Jason S Tele-Meister

I like Joe a lot. He reminds me of the guys I used to listen to when I was young.

15. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Och, tamale! I should pull my head out of my pocket more often. I just finished reading the article about "vocabulary" as opposed to keys and scales, and this guitarist is clearly a demonstration of the idea. I gotta learn to use the YouTube better.

16. z6stringer

z6stringer TDPRI Member

I just caught Joe here in Philly on 8/14 at the World Cafe from the front row center... I could have tied his shoes!!! He was ridiculous... incredible player! His cover of ZZ Top's "Just Got Paid" is unbelievable... he is the real deal fo' sho'!

17. upinthemteles

upinthemteles Tele-Meister

Thanks for mentioning Sean, I've never heard of him. Watching him at the Living Room on youtube right now, he is so fresh and original, really plays his soul out.

18. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

I gotta plug my man Jonny Lang, too, who has matured into a great showman and band leader. Saw him at HOB about 6 months ago and it's what turned me on to Telecasters. He was playing a custom, I think, anyway it was HH and had painted headstock, all brown, and was smokin'. Already have 6 tix (whole family) for the late Sept HOB show and can't wait. Weird thing was that you couldn't tell if he was using a pick or his fingers...a very unusual picking style. Ultimately I did see that he had a pick but it was oddly hard to tell. I appreciate that he didn't go the SRV imitator path and does his own thing. It was a great show. And to stay on topic, Bonamassa is in heavy rotation on my Slacker portable (get one of those but that's for another thread sometime).

19. ceedubya

ceedubya TDPRI Member

Joe definitely rocks I saw him live back in 2002 he blew everyone away even the headliner. Thanks for the tip Sean Costello i'll be checking him out. Here's one of my favorites from Joe "The River" if you like some slide work also check out Burning Hell and Traveling South.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jom6eH_5R0&feature=related

20. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah, I really dig Costello.

Personally the Bonamassa stuff isn't my cup of tea. It's a little too wanky for me, but that's just my taste talkin'.

Sean though...awesome.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.