1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Joe Bonamassa - what's the deal with him?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Ryan0594, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Alcohen

Alcohen Tele-Meister

Isn't it supposed to be the other way 'round for bluesmen? Somebody on here has Elmore Leonard's line in their signature: "I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted."

2. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The guy has basically devoted his life to vintage guitars and the music made with them. Folks can bag on him all day long for marketing, overplaying, buying up every 59 burst or blackguard tele that walks into Norms or GC Vintage, but at the end of the day he's given his everything to that- he's a phenomenal player, and an apt curator of all things electric guitar from the 1950's and 60's. I love that he is a guitarist who collects and preserves the tools from first golden age of rock 'n' roll. He deserves the fruits of that labor and I applaud him for it. He has built a legacy that will be rightly remembered for ages.

I kinda feel bad for him though, because I wonder how much comfort and joy those "old pieces of wood" (as someone called them) will give him compared to having kids and grandkids around when he's old. I will likely never see a real burst in person, but my family brings me more joy than any guitar ever could, and to my knowledge, Joe doesn't have that.

3. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

What’s « best use » for you?
    He’s passionate about his gear and preserves it very well. He’s like a living museum that keep their collection safe and show it to the public on a regular basis, be it on stage or on videos. I don’t care for his style of music but he has provided me many enjoyable moments watching his videos about his collection. How come « they are all not going to best use » then?

Maricopa, zeke54, Greggorios and 3 others like this.
  4. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

he`s a guy with an expensive hobby. I think most of us can relate to that

modavis99, zeke54, Fiesta Red and 8 others like this.
  5. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I don’t get the hate. Even if he isn’t your favorite performer, he’s made a name for himself and has a cool collection of gear. I think it’s a lot of professional jealousy.

Im not the biggest SRV or ZZ Top fan. But good on them for making names for themselves in this business.

6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

He makes music like somebody who grew up in a guitar shop...and I don't mean that in a good way.

7. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

He's single and very rich.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm still waiting to hear something from him that did not come directly from someone else.
    He's a "cover" artist.
    Next.

9. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

yeah, I can take or leave his music but there's no denying his guitar playing ability.

As for the collection, at least he is a massive and really genuine enthusiast, and much of it the gets loved and used... better in the hands of a player than in glass cabinets untouched. Its an obscenely wonderful collection of stuff!

10. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Was SRV? He wrote or co-wrote less than half the songs he recorded.

Maricopa, Spox, teletina and 3 others like this.
  11. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve never been able to get through more than thirty seconds of one of his videos.

teletail and brookdalebill like this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

SRV earned his success in spades.
    He DID write a lot of his stuff, and a lot of it was written by people he knew, played with, and had history with.
    Examples are Doyle Bramhall Sr., W.C. Clark and Bill Carter.
    He also lived poor and rough pre-success, he was not the son of a successful music store owner.
    He lived the blues, and was a respectful acolyte of all the masters.
    Bonamassa is a poseur's poseur.
    It's sad that he is considered the current torch bearer.
    Nice suits, Joe.

13. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Tele-Meister

I'm not seeing the contradiction of collecting guitars and having a family. I don't think his vintage guitars is what's stopping him from meeting a wife. I get that family is more important than material things, but if I will spend my years alone anyway, I'd rather have some nice instruments to keep me company than nothing at all.

Slowman likes this.
  14. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

When he first hit the scene i will admit I dug his stuff, but at the time he filled a niche, blues for the masses, rehashed oldies, though he has a nice fluid style, I liked his playing and likened it to Gary Moore in a way, but then the corporate marketing machine kicked in and that was that for me, albums came by the bucket load, and still do, it's all about the DOLLAR !!!

richiek65 likes this.
  15. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Having a family doesn't work out for everyone either. I'm doing quite well in the family department but I can see the attraction of the alternative occasionally. I've met some people who have stayed single and child free to enjoy the world on their own terms. Actually, one of my kindergarten classmates got married for the first time in his early 50s and he has had the best life of just about anyone I've met

16. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I think you're deluding yourself if you think any successful "musician" is not in it or became in it for the "DOLLAR!!!" to some degree. They are trying to make a living after all.

I respect the guy, he seems nice, well adjusted (serial killer suggestion aside :) ) can play like a monster.

The high-intensity marketing is kind of off-putting but without mainstream publicity and coverage, what is he supposed to do?

The music doesn't especially float my boat either but like most here, I'm mostly past the age where any new music or player will. In that regard, he sort of missed the boat timing-wise with most of us within the blues-rock genre.

Almost everyone here acknowledges he is doing very well for himself. I think that pretty much proves he is selling records, merch, etc, and must be pretty popular to at least one generation of fan.

I do wonder if he had met a kindred spirit, vocalist, Bass player, or other bandmates early on that he couldn't have made music that was more radio, general population appealing.

Very few solo artists just get famous from a solo career, most were propelled into sole fame from a popular band or launchpad. Most.

aadvark likes this.
  17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Clapton and Gilmour have parted with some iconic guitars for charity. Gilmour was dismissive of the need to hold onto to all of his guitars who most would are treasures. It prompted me to sell 2/3 of my limited “collection”.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

brookdalebill likes this.
  18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

He is a gear geek with the skills and audience to generate enough resources to indulge his passion.

Simple jealousy will be driver for many critics.

He might found a museum or a music school one day... next stage, when he matures and reflects.

aadvark likes this.
  19. Telekaster

Telekaster Tele-Meister

As far as I know, he is not married. ;)

20. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

The trope of the suffering blues artist is very worn out.

JB is a keeper of the flame and someone somewhat popular needs to assume this role, so good on him. I've been to his concert, hats off - but I do not intend to buy any of his recorded music. To me and for my old fart sensibility, it lacks some reckless abandon and there is nothing surprisingly new to it. It's a bit academic. But so is Wynton Marsalis and a lot of jazz. Classical is mostly academic. So maybe this is natural progress of any art form of genre... Even "classic rock" is becoming academic.

Maricopa, Slowman, Falex99 and 5 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.