Joe Bonamassa - what's the deal with him?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Ryan0594, Feb 8, 2021.

1. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

He must be doing something right if he can afford the stuff he buys

2. Joshtheguitarguy

Joshtheguitarguy TDPRI Member

Somewhere in this cold universe. Or am I an alien?
    Same here. A lot of blues gets boring after a while. I always find it amazing when people can keep the blues-rock thing fresh, but that is hard to come by. We need more people like Chris Buck and Samantha Fish.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  3. DeckerPhan92

DeckerPhan92 TDPRI Member

Most modern electric blues players sound the same to me. Also if you want to see an over the top guitar collection from a whatever guitarist was the Dave Amato episode of Gibson's series called The Collection.

4. Whitebeard

Whitebeard Tele-Meister

His upbringing cultivated the gear head/collector in him. Father owned a music store so he learned the "art" of buying right. If you've ever bought an instrument and used a trade in you will know what I mean. So yes, his museum is filled with "holy grail" pieces. I've always felt like you whenever I've been in a wealthy person's home where a Steinway grand sat unplayed because the child it was purchased for when it was taking lessons has long since moved out and become a doctor, lawyer, homemaker etc.. Or the people just bought it because it was a cool looking piece of furniture that fit in that particular place in the house and a salesman rightfully told them a Steinway will not depreciate in value. Like the "Real Don Steele" used to say "if You Got, Flaunt It". The Real Don Steele TV Show (May 11, 1974) - Part 4 - Bing video

5. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Amazing Guitarist.
    Steeped in the tradition.
    Knows his stuff.
    Making investments in the properties that he understands.
    Wears suits on stage to give you your money's worth.
    Otherwise not a flashy dresser.
    Mostly seems to be an average "Joe."
    I have too many guitars. I can't seem to keep them all well played. Different reasons for this, depending on the guitar, but one thing is for certain, I will have a really hard time recouperating my expenditures should I need to sell my stuff off.
    Not so for Joe.
    He's a wiser investor.

Edit: I have an old amplifier that he needs.

6. Chris Martin

Chris Martin TDPRI Member

I find Joe Bonamassa just reminds me of a recurring phenomena which is the cycle of a new blues hero emerging every ten years or so.
    The problem being there must be a law of diminishing returns.
    All of those posting on here do not state their age but I am willing to bet the majority of Bonamassa fans are younger than 40 although there will be some older ones who despite knowing they have heard it all before still appreciate someone keeping the blues going. The older, previous generations have all had their heroes that have come and gone.
    BB King toured for thirty years with a great band before age slowed him down and he became a 'nostalgia' act to be wheeled on at some all-star jam.
    Hendrix was sometimes a blues player, but like many others, he died too young.
    Clapton was at his peak in the '60s has then spent fifty years sinking into mediocrity.
    Green was even better but self-medicated himself out of the game.
    SRV was already moving away from the raw blues he started with into jazzier territory when that chopper went down.
    Roy Buchanan had flashes of brilliance, but managed to sabotage his career every time he got nearly famous.
    Etc, etc
    Then there are those who make a name for cranking it out fast and loud but still basically copying their heroes; and here I put Bonamassa alongside Gary Moore; good but nothing new.
    The point is some of us have heard it all before so many times and there will only be so many licks you can pull out of a pentatonic scale (however fast, or loud) before it gets repetitive; so while a young impressionable fan may think Bonamassa is doing something special, I have yet to hear him play one original idea in all of his recycled 'blues-by-numbers'.
    No thanks, I'll dig out my Johnny Guitar Watson or Albert Collins records or JJ Cale for the lighter blues and Texas Flood when I am in the mood to turn it up.
    As for his guitars?
    Why not?
    Many big name players have collected guitars over the years and yes, as tools of the trade they are probably tax deductable, unlike Clapton's Ferraris, but at least when he gets bored he can, like Eric (and Dave Gilmour) did recently, sell some off for charity.

Jim622 and aging_rocker like this.
  7. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    I think your whole post is on the money, except this part. Joe’s audience is older than 40. These links have pictures of his concert audiences, and you can see similar age represented if you tune in when PBS airs one of his concerts (or look on YouTube). [​IMG] https://www.gigwise.com/news/108732/joe-bonamassa-takes-on-bouncer

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detai...-guitarist-joe-bonamassa-news-photo/504144056

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/concert-reviews/joe-bonamassa-august-2018/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  8. KIRK BRYANT

KIRK BRYANT TDPRI Member

Ok sorry I’m late, had to make the popcorn.

Now, I’m in before the lock.

I’d have half the gear and a couple more ferraris and Lambos. Then again I’ve always wanted a Koenigsegg, Regera anyone?

https://www.koenigsegg.com/car/regera/

9. mjet260

mjet260 TDPRI Member

Wait wait - I wasn't begrudging him. He can do what he likes with his money. I was just speculating that to have a collection of guitars that rivals Norm's Rare Guitars, you'd need a lot of cash sitting around. And he's not the mega-celebrity broadly speaking that I'd assume is rolling in millions, at least not if playing music is his primary means of support.

10. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

Post #3 + popcorn = everything you need to know.

I don't judge Joe B. I've seen enough including his interviews and his background to know that he deserves my respect, gratitude, and latitude.

Re: the collection, not much different than collecting a vault full of rare coins you can never spend, or a room full of expensive jewelry you can never wear out of the house, or a warehouse full of cars you will never drive, etc.etc.etc.....

11. Jazzerstang

Jazzerstang Tele-Afflicted

Yeah. I’m just not a fan.

12. richiek65

richiek65 Poster Extraordinaire

I know what you mean, but I can hear plenty of soul (or whatever you want to call it) in this

13. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Afflicted

As has been stated several times, Bonamassa has been horse-trading guitars since he was a boy. His father owned a music store.

14. Chris Martin

Chris Martin TDPRI Member

You may be right about that age thing then, sorry, I have been so underwhelmed by Bonamassa's playing that I have never wanted to go to a show. But I guess there are enough then of the second category I mentioned, the ones who for lack of anyone else in town this week will still think they are getting some 'real' blues. Rather like as the Beatles or the Eagles are no longer touring, the tribute bands will still draw a crowd.

smartsoul72 likes this.
  15. swervinbob

swervinbob Friend of Leo's

Wow. I gave up on this thread after about page 2.

16. Jimbodiddley

Jimbodiddley TDPRI Member

I admire his knowledge and passion for vintage guitars. I've learned a few things from his videos.

His dedication to preserving and promoting the legacy of the classic blues and blues-rock players on whose shoulders he stands, is admirable.

His playing impresses me to no end, but rarely moves me.

1stpitch likes this.
  17. 1stpitch

1stpitch TDPRI Member

That's it.

Jimbodiddley and SRHmusic like this.
  18. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

19. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Afflicted

I skipped directly to the end, here, didn't read the stuff in between, and ... I still feel dirty.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  20. NHFlyCaster

NHFlyCaster TDPRI Member

Sometimes too many notes, ha ha ha!
    Seriously though, what's to complain about. Joe plays a lot of the gear. I like that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.