1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Joe Bonamassa - what's the deal with him?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Ryan0594, Feb 8, 2021.

1. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

also now I'm gonna go buy a shirt and his newest record just because i can :lol:

2. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

and while we are at this... let's add PRS guitars to the thread. More than two birds with one stone.

3. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Who?

JazzDreams likes this.
  4. Big Twang Theory

Big Twang Theory TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I'm always puzzled at how the mention of him in forums brings so much debate. He's basically relic'd guitars in human form. Lol

His music is not my cup of tea, but more power to ya if it's yours. As far as his collection? I certainly don't begrudge him for that. If I woke tomorrow and my bank account suddenly had many more zeros after the amount, I would be doing the EXACT same thing.

5. goodguy

goodguy TDPRI Member

Not a big fan of his music but Joe seems like a really good guy. Genuine about his love for gear and preserving its history. He’s also pretty free about sharing his knowledge and access to his gear. He earned everything he has through hard work, practice & intelligence.

knopflerfan likes this.
  6. Frank Entele

Frank Entele TDPRI Member

I wonder if he’s ever been scammed? You know, Uncle Joe’s estate left an old guitar, hardly played, under the bed wrapped in a sheet kind of thing?

Nah, he has ‘people’ to authenticate before he buys, I’m sure....

7. jayiron

jayiron TDPRI Member

Have you not read on the “bonnaseum”?!?! He collects this stuff so it can go to different places and be shown, even at his homes, and he does play the stuff, but it’s of historical value to him and other musicians, so he shares the stuff!

8. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

He basically grew up in a music store and has been collecting forever.
    He is those 'people'.

BluesGuitarMart likes this.
  9. soundcloset

soundcloset TDPRI Member

Dust Bowl is his only radio-ready song I know, or I should say, his only song I've heard on the radio, and he does PBS fundraising concerts, but he plays really REALLY well, and speaks at length on the gear and it seems, mostly politely and patiently. I imagine my excess gear would increase without the limiting factor of a near-zero budget.

10. smokey9701

smokey9701 TDPRI Member

I guess he's just a collector or is he a hoarder. Is there a difference?

Skydog1010 likes this.
  11. fuman

fuman TDPRI Member

He works really, really -- REALLY -- hard. Let's not forget that part.

12. franblanc

franblanc TDPRI Member

Joe is way above the type of collector that collects Kurt Cobain's cardigan. Hendrix's strat is sitting in a glass case in a bank vault somewhere. It was bought by the CEO of Microsoft for 2million so he could (try to) look cool. At least Joe appreciates and plays his collection..and he has put the guitar practice in, four decades and counting.

richiek65, Big_Bend and 8barlouie like this.
  13. stylemessiah

stylemessiah TDPRI Member

Cant wait for the follow up "My Dads better than your Dad thread"

14. 1stpitch

1stpitch TDPRI Member

I haven't read the whole thread, yet, so my apologies if this is a repeat, but in my opinion, JB is a very talented guitar player, BUT, nothing he plays has any soul to it. No feeling at all. Nothing. For pop, that's ok. But for blues, which he is most closely associated, it's a requirement. Also, he has no direction; he's all over the map. He would make a great session player, and that's about it. Again, in MY opinion.

Fire away.

teletail and Spooky88 like this.
  15. Stratman2252

Stratman2252 TDPRI Member

16. Stratman2252

Stratman2252 TDPRI Member

Ridiculous. Criticize when you can do better. Check out Blues deluxe on Blues deluxe. He smokes jeff becks version. As for equipment, That is what guitarists do. We buy vintage gutars and amps and pedals etc. It is an addiction. Pretty sure he will hve a Joe B museum when he retires or passes away. I have only one complaint, he plays too loud. Not his fault. He is on stage playig a nice volume thru small Blues Fender amps... about 22 watts. But the sound man cranks the mains up to ridiculous volume as is often the case with Soundmen. I always complain to the Manager and often scold the sound man asking them to take off heir earphones and hear how ****ing loud it is. Stupid loud and painfully loud. No excuse.

Spooky88 likes this.
  17. Spooky88

Spooky88 TDPRI Member

I've seen JB twice. In smaller venues years ago. As he's progressed in his career I've noticed his albums and "sound" has gotten more "processed". Great player and showman, yeah. Soulful? Meh....

18. rogermaltby

rogermaltby TDPRI Member

Go to one of his shows . . . he takes those priceless instruments and amps on the road . . . it's a treat to see and hear and I applaud him for doing that. And remember that it's his money and he can do what he wants with it; so I'm grateful that he spends as he does and doesn't lock those bursts etc away, never to be seen nor heard by thousands of people

19. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Uh look see..Tom petty to Mike Campbell, Neil Young, Keef.... Every blues rock major act out there has it all.... So would I.

20. Andy ZZ

Andy ZZ TDPRI Member

At the very least, he is not a rapper.
    az

willie ray and pkjensen like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.