Joe Bonamassa - Does he have a hit song?

superjam144

Tele-Afflicted
bea-dance-party (1).gif

C'mon gang let's go listen to some Taylor.

DougieLove

Tele-Afflicted
I have tons of respect for JB and his talent. Dude can play. Regardless of "originality" or piecing tired licks together, he can play.

I just think he suffers from the same lack of songwriting ability as Rory Gallagher, Robin Trower, Joe Satriani, and others. All great guitarists, but if they just would have teamed up with a good songwriting partner...

gmann

Friend of Leo's
Joe Bonamassa is an amazing musician, vocalist, song writer etc.

He gets some amazing tones and his bands have amazing musicians in them.

Does he have a Hit Song?

Not the songs he gets requests for at a Joe Bonamassa concert.

i mean the songs that will be on the radio for the next 30 years.
Does Danny Galton have a hit song?

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Come to think of it, does any guitarist have a hit song? Duane Eddy maybe. George Benson, but he had to sing to do it. Uh... there's gotta be some (Classical Gas? Nahh...), but not much comes to mind.

loudboy

Tele-Holic
Grammys are pretty commercial, but I don't think they equate to hit songs.
The Breezin' album was a massive hit. #1 on the Pop, Jazz and R&B charts, and 3 million copies sold, which is a lot for anyone, let alone an instrumental jazz record.

The title song and "This Masquerade" were big single hits, with "Masquerade" winning the Grammy for Song of the Year.

He's won 10 Grammys in all.

Cadillac_Mike

Tele-Holic
He's definitely a heck of a guitarist but what bugs me is it doesn't sound like he's really bringing anything fresh to the table to deserve even a fraction of the recognition he gets. It's like "you're playing 70 year old blues licks on a '59 Les Paul with half the soul or conviction; OMG, here's a million dollars!"

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
He’s a blues rock artist. Who was the last one of those to have a radio hit? Kenny Wayne Shepherd, 15 years ago?

People in this genre don’t make radio hits. That’s nothing against him, but the blues haven’t been relevant on the radio rock/pop scene in nearly 20 years. Even 20 years ago, it wasn’t the norm.

Even when Mayer reached out into blues, his radio plays from those songs were nil compared to his pop music.