Joe Bonamassa - Does he have a hit song?

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
I think of Joe (when I think of him at all) as a kind of 'modeling guitarist' - with a rotary switch on the back of his head labeled 'Clapton', 'Kossoff', etc. etc...

He has undoubted talents, but originality isn't one of them.

warrent

Friend of Leo's
some people who don't even perform or write their own music have massive audiences and a fanbase, even (taylor swift or anyone on the radio)
You do realize Swift either wrote or co-wrote every single song she has ever recorded. And she was responsible for a boom in guitar sales because wait for it, she plays guitar on stage.

regularslinky

Tele-Afflicted
I didn't even know he made recordings. I thought he just toured and did endorsements and tutorials. I've seen a couple of gear videos, didn't do anything for me. Apparently he makes a lot of money though, and I have a drummer friend who is a huge fan.

TeleMark

Tele-Meister
I like him. Seems like a pretty good guy to boot. Definite gear head who can chat guitars all day..
He grew up in my area. First time I saw him was the Student Union snack bar when he was about 13. Kid can play. I really never listen to him, and don't pay attention, but he's made quite a career for himself doing what he apparently loves, which if I'm not mistaken is sort of what we are all supposed to aspire to.

I'm sure he reads threads like this on guitar forums and then spends the rest of the day crying in his warehouse of vintage guitars and amps. 😭

deytookerjaabs

Friend of Leo's
Joe B gives the people what they want. Modern shred blues landing the big notes on the 1 through guitar calendar worthy guitars.

Culture and audience is what's different. Redd once said in an interview that back in Canada he knew of a few incredible guitar players that played original ideas when he was coming up, but the guys who nailed BB King got all the applause/attention!

Joe B has certainly tried to expose some elite pickers to the world....but is the world hungry for them?

Opt_234

Tele-Meister
He grew up in my area. First time I saw him was the Student Union snack bar when he was about 13. Kid can play. I really never listen to him, and don't pay attention, but he's made quite a career for himself doing what he apparently loves, which if I'm not mistaken is sort of what we are all supposed to aspire to.

I'm sure he reads threads like this on guitar forums and then spends the rest of the day crying in his warehouse of vintage guitars and amps. 😭

he does visit forums and addresses them in interview iirc

Opt_234

Tele-Meister
Joe B gives the people what they want. Modern shred blues landing the big notes on the 1 through guitar calendar worthy guitars.

i dont think many people do want thats

that style of playing is just so boring because A), it's dinosaur ****, and B) hes not even that good at it. the people who were actually good at it are ****ing dead or 90 years old, so he becomes the best by default

deytookerjaabs

Friend of Leo's
i dont think many people do want thats

that style of playing is just so boring because A), it's dinosaur ****, and B) hes not even that good at it. the people who were actually good at it are ****ing dead or 90 years old, so he becomes the best by default
Enough want it to buy pricey tickets, I'm not stating it as an absolute like it's everyone's cup of tea..but he's carved out his niche.

captain_jack

Tele-Meister
you require "backup" for things that are obvious and self-evident? yikes, what is that like?

The statement you were responding to was obvious and self evident. So yes, you're dismissing it requires some evidence to make sense.

If you dislike her music that's fine, but it's not a reason dismiss it. If you have some other resaon for saying what you did, please share.

Opt_234

Tele-Meister
Enough want it to buy pricey tickets, I'm not stating it as an absolute like it's everyone's cup of tea..but he's carved out his niche.

i mean yes, but that "pricey ticket" thing kind of solidifies what im say, you know.

its not actually blues, its a status symbol for old rich people who work at law firms and ****

kids playing math rock are more blues than someone like joe B

all that aside, joe has some sick guitars

Opt_234

Tele-Meister
If you dislike her music that's fine, but it's not a reason dismiss it. If you have some other resaon for saying what you did, please share.

i don't dismiss or necessarily dislike it.

im just saying she doesn't write her own ****, she's a pop-star barbie like britney spears was

a pretty girl singing songs some old dude wrote

Opt_234

Tele-Meister
so all those songs where she is credited as the writer were actually written by who?

ghostwriters. not a new phenom, its how the music industry has worked for a super long time

additionally, one look at the Beatles catalog would be just a single example of songwriting credits not being accurate