Joe Bonamassa - Does he have a hit song?

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I will not fight you on that point as I've never heard a single note played by Mr. Bonamassa.
Yes, I've lived under a rock. I know he exists though(I can hear him scraping around in the cookie jar at night).

I just wanted clarification... when you say derivative... do you mean that anything he does, others have done before
already and possibly more famously?

Indeed, that is my long held opinion of Mr. B.
Not an original musical thought.
Why is a cover artist lionized?
Is that what passes for a “guitar hero” these days?
I know there are other youngish players out there who have their own voice.
Let’s make a fuss over them, instead.

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Joe Bonamassa is an amazing musician, vocalist, song writer etc.

He gets some amazing tones and his bands have amazing musicians in them.

Does he have a Hit Song?

Not the songs he gets requests for at a Joe Bonamassa concert.

i mean the songs that will be on the radio for the next 30 years.
Oh boy, here it goes again. Think I'll sit this one out. The last time I chimed in on a thread about Bonamassa, the thread got locked. Was it something I said?

Lynxtrap

Tele-Afflicted
He has had several albums above 40 on the Billboard 200 and at least one in top 10.
I've heard Evil Mama on the radio a few times during the last years, but that is locally and in Europe.
Has anyone had a hit with a blues-rock song in the last 20 years?

Lynxtrap

Tele-Afflicted
Indeed, that is my long held opinion of Mr. B.
Not an original musical thought.
Why is a cover artist lionized?
Is that what passes for a “guitar hero” these days?
I know there are other youngish players out there who have their own voice.
Let’s make a fuss over them, instead.

I wouldn't call him a cover artist.
Lots of people like him, he sells out large venues all over the world. Who else these days can fill places like the Royal Albert Hall playing blues? Good for him, who cares if he passes for a "guitar hero" or not.
Personally I'm not a fan, his playing doesn't really speak to me. But I certainly don't mind others liking him. What he does seems more honest than most music out there today.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
Yes, I've lived under a rock. I know he exists though(I can hear him scraping around in the cookie jar at night).

I just wanted clarification... when you say derivative... do you mean that anything he does, others have done before
I never heard of him until I joined this forum. The first time I heard him on Youtube I didn't know who he was.

I won't try to speak for anyone else, but for me he sounds like he's playing a bunch of licks pasted together. A brilliant technician, great tone, but his playing leaves me flat. It doesn't touch me at all. I know a lot of others disagree, but that's how I see it. It's like looking at a "paint by the numbers" painting, meh.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Hit song defines hit radio, which is now of course pop and rap.

Perhaps some blues radio streaming service.

Opt_234

Tele-Meister
I will not fight you on that point as I've never heard a single note played by Mr. Bonamassa.

you don't live under a rock. bonamossa is just boring and under ground and has extremely narrow appeal (old guitar players)

most people who dont live under rocks havent heard him either

Opt_234

Tele-Meister
He has had several albums above 40 on the Billboard 200 and at least one in top 10.
I've heard Evil Mama on the radio a few times during the last years, but that is locally and in Europe.
Has anyone had a hit with a blues-rock song in the last 20 years?

youre not gonna have hits with musical tropes from the 1940s

warrent

Friend of Leo's
in this year of our lord 2022, people still think number of fans has something to do with talent or relevancy.

weird
So the ultimate goal is to be a talented musical genius, who is extremely relevant but has no fans or audience?

Opt_234

Tele-Meister
So the ultimate goal is to be a talented musical genius, who is extremely relevant but has no fans or audience?

either way, doesn't matter. as i just said popularity has nothing to do with musical talent. some geniuses are famous with a fanbase (Prince), some aren't (Van Gogh). some people who don't even perform or write their own music have massive audiences and a fanbase, even (taylor swift or anyone on the radio)

it's irrelevant, because these two points of data are completely unrelated.