Joe Barden vs. Callaham vs. Glendale Tele Bridge Assembly for American Standard

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by TeleFunk Man, Feb 2, 2019.

1. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Why is the JB like 1/3 of the price of the Callahan and Glendale offerings?

I know the JB is Allparts, but I'm sure all 3 are made in Asia at least some of the parts. Is there a huge difference in quality / material? What about tone?

2. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’m pretty sure Callaham and Glendale make their own bridges, hence the higher price and excellent workmanship.

I suspect - but don’t know for sure - you are correct about the Allparts Joe Barden bridge. Made in Asia.

Out of the three I can highly recommend Glendale. High quality, great customer service, but for tonal changes, what are you looking for?

:) Peter

Greggorios likes this.
  3. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

Another to consider is a Rutters. I believe he makes them himself in the USA. They’re very nice and well made.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  4. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

I'm sorry I'm not answering your specific question about those bridges, I'm giving more a generic answer.

I have a Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele (with the pretty hot Alnico 3 bridge pickup) that I wanted to put steel saddles on instead of brass but I also decided to just replace the whole shot instead of just the saddles. I went with Genuine (wherever those are made) Fender parts and noticed the "Fender" stamped plate was much lighter and thinner than what Fender uses on the Squier CV 50s

So I mixed and matched to see what happened:

Steel saddles on the light plate - very thin but twangy, D,A and E strings not much punch

Steel saddles on the heavy plate - similar twang but better volume off the lower strings and better sustain.

Brass saddles / light plate - less bright and not as twangy, actually very even and balanced.

Brass saddles / heavy plate - very full and warm, but now the three unwound strings would not cut through while playing live.

So my plan didn't work and I ended up putting the steel saddles on the stock CV plate with the Alnico 3s and used the CV brass saddles on the thinner Fender plate on a Partscaster with Alnico 5s.

That works for me...your mileage may vary.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

5. TeleFunk Man

Hey thanks for the suggestion. Just ordered the Rutters Modern Bridge set Aluminum E/A, Brass saddles.

8barlouie likes this.
  6. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

No problem. I replaced a Wilkinson bridge on my Kirn Tele with a Rutters and was very happy with it.

7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

You won’t be sorry.

TeleFunk Man likes this.
  8. TeleFunk Man

I see his modern 3-saddle does both string-through and top loading. Don't need the top loading but it's kinda cool. He doesn't have any pics showing the aluminum E/A Brass saddles bridge so couldn't really see what I ordered other than the stock mordern bridge photo he has. I'll have to do a Google search..

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Sure, all the Rutters and Glendale and Callaham stuff are USA made. Made in California, Texas and Virginia respectively.

Maybe the Rutters in Toploader form is your best choice:

http://ruttersguitars.com/uploads/Rutters_Modern_Bridge_1.jpg

Most important on the wound strings; the G. Why? Because the through holes on this Fender model are hiked so far up the body. You're IMO up against an issue where if the guitar is intonated and the saddles are really high enough to get your fingertips under there, the string comes up almost vertically and wraps too much around the saddles. So, IMO you're better off falling back and doing the toploader thing. The angle isn't quite so severe on the B and little E strings - they can go either way.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Greggorios likes this.
  10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

What is so weird is, the takeoff bridges off the '08 and newer American Standards command top dollar.

upload_2019-2-5_20-23-20.jpeg

Very few places you can find these, so don't throw yours away. You might want to keep it handy for when you sell your guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.