1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Joe Barden or TV Jones Pickups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by h2odog, Mar 11, 2017.

1. h2odog

h2odog Tele-Meister

IMG_3329.JPG
    My current project guitar. I'm debating which pickups to install: Joe Barden Danny Gatton Pickups or TV Jones Starwood. Any thoughts/ preferences? I play a variety of styles (praise/ worship at church, blues, rockabilly, classic rock, jazz, country). Which would you go with or would you go with something else?

Attached Files:

drlucky, GreatGaudy and therealfindo like this.
  2. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Dang, that guitar is beautiful! Sorry that I can't contribute to the pickup discussion. But what a guitar!

h2odog likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

TV Jones!!!

h2odog likes this.
  4. TmyBmore

TmyBmore Tele-Meister

The Bardens will get you a trebley, Tele/Gatton sound. Maybe not the best jazz sound but good for everything else on your list. Don''t know anything about the Starwoods. What type of sounds are you looking for? Tele/punchy, warm etc....

h2odog likes this.
  5. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

The Barden Gatton bridge pickup is very bright, go with modern.

h2odog likes this.
  6. h2odog

h2odog Tele-Meister

I want to retain the Tele sound as much as possible, but not overly trebley with a nice balance between bridge and neck.

TmyBmore likes this.
  7. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'm most intrigued these days with the TVjones set, the price for admission is pretty steep, but a pretty build like that and I would splurge.

h2odog likes this.
  8. GreatGaudy

GreatGaudy Tele-Meister

If looks are everything (and they are, according to that pic) I'd go with BOTH !
    ..rail on the bottom and open face neck...how cool is that ???

h2odog likes this.
  9. TmyBmore

TmyBmore Tele-Meister

I think 3/4 of the people on TDPRI want exactly the same.:)

h2odog, Felino, Jakeboy and 1 other person like this.
  10. h2odog

h2odog Tele-Meister

:) Yes, it's that elusive tone that can't easily be described but you know it when you hear it.

11. stratguy23

stratguy23 TDPRI Member

Sorry I can't help with pickups, but that guitar is gorgeous! What did you use for finish?

h2odog likes this.
  12. TmyBmore

TmyBmore Tele-Meister

What I'm interested in is the Mojotone Quiet coils. I have a set of 58's in my Strat and they will remain there. I haven't tried the Kinman's but people say good things about them too. If you get the Starwoods give us a report!

h2odog likes this.
  13. h2odog

h2odog Tele-Meister

Thanks! I used Colortone Stain from StewMac.

14. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I'd have to respectfully disagree. Danny played a lot of jazz with his Barden set and that tone knob. I'm interested in the TV Jones as well. Let us know what happens.

h2odog likes this.
  15. TmyBmore

TmyBmore Tele-Meister

Yes, he did play a lot of jazz but not with a typical jazz tone. If you want jazz tone put a humbucker in the neck. (and yes the Bardens are humbuckers, but meant to sound like a tele.)

h2odog likes this.
  16. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I hear ya but I guess what I'm saying is that teles aren't the typical choice for a jazz guitar. Having said that, I do believe its possible to get a good jazz tone from a tele sized neck pickup ala Juilian Lage. With that in mind the Bardens would probably be as good as any tele sized neck pickup which the OP will be using in his build. I've seen video somewhere of Gatton using the tone knob to approximate an arch top sound on his tele neck pickup. Its not a ES 175 but still sounds cool. I don't think the OP can go wrong with either set he is looking at.

TmyBmore and h2odog like this.
  17. TmyBmore

TmyBmore Tele-Meister

To Jazz purist "If it ain't a big hollow guitar, it ain't Jazz!". I don't abide by that but I'm not a Jazz purist.lol Since I don't know squat about the TV Jones, I can't comment. The Bardens would be a fine choice. I would take Tele12's advise and go with the modern version. EQ can work wonders. I'll check out Juilian Lage when I get the chance. Beautiful guitar h2odog.

h2odog likes this.
  18. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Danny dimed the treble and often turned the amp around from what I've seen, so I don't think he was very representative of anything besides himself. The Bardens can definitely do all of those things but this isn't even a Barden vote, just interested to see if anyone goes the TV Jones route!

They seem to use considerably finer wire which makes them at least a little novel, besides for the poles used as well.

h2odog likes this.
  19. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Al Anderson plays a Sadowsky with three Bardens. Here's some quality audio:

And I know you said you play in church, so forgive this song about drinking. It's one of the best, most brotherhood of man, badass drinking songs I've ever heard. Every TDPRIer owes it to themselves to check out the videos of this guy. Just a towering player and songwriter.

h2odog and drlucky like this.
  20. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Educate me: The only two Barden players I can think of are Gatton and Springsteen, and I don't really like their tone. Is there another fairly well-known example that would change my mind? Based on these examples, I'd try almost anything other than Barden. But I'm guessing I'm missing something.

h2odog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.