Job Offer - Should I counter?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ftbtx, Nov 21, 2019.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Do you have job that you’re happy at now?
    Is the offer better than you earn now?
    Do you think this job will be more rewarding or has a higher ceiling?

You can propose an amount or you can respectfully ask if the offer is negotiable as you were expecting a higher offer.

ftbtx likes this.
  2. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Get what you are worth going in, but, don't price yourself out of a job...

ftbtx likes this.
  3. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

It’s normal. Do it. Don’t counter for double, but whatever you were hoping for, I’d counter for a little more and see what they say. They might come back again at your initial “hope”

ftbtx likes this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

If he is frozen at the entry rate, you could ask if other items
    are negotiable. More vacation in year 1.
    Sanity is nice to have.

ftbtx and boris bubbanov like this.
  5. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

It really depends on the type of job and the size of the business. If it is a huge business - and the managers want to hire you... arguing with HR doesn't hurt.

On the other hand, if it is a small business and the manager is the HR... it kind of changes things.

ftbtx and boris bubbanov like this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I agree generally, but there's a certain percentage of employers that just don't work that way. And if you counter you won't be hired.

This would be specific to the 15% of whatever it is of this kind of employer. They can be strange like this, then double your salary within 3 years. You've simply got to find someone who knows your employer. The higher the hiring guy is to "The Top" the more likely he is to be "this" guy. If the guy doing the hiring is well removed from the top, sure, absolutely counter.

Woops, I should've read the post right above mine before I posted. Says the same thing.

ftbtx and mabinogeon like this.
  7. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic

do they know what your current salary is??

If they do, its probably a really bad idea to ask for more when they know they are offering you $30K (holy crap!!) more that what you make now

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I once went to work for a humongous sign company as a neon glassblower. Two shifts in the neon shop, with five glassblowers per shift.....that's a lot. The company had great benefits compared to other shops, and had much better job security than any others. They offered me a slightly lower hourly rate than I was accustomed to, but they could guarantee 40+ hours a week on a consistent basis. The supervisor said (when I started) that there would be a "likely" raise after a 90 day probation period. I really liked the job. At the end of 90 days, I approached him about a raise, as he had indicated, and he hemmed and hawed, and said they couldn't at that time. I didn't get or act angry, I just said I was very disappointed in him and how he apparently couldn't be relied on as a man of his word.....but I was going to stay on and simply do the best job I was capable of......I shook his hand and left his office. About two or three days later he stopped by my work station, and said he had reconsidered his actions, and offered an increase....not quite as much as I wanted, but better nonetheless. I thanked him for his words of confidence and went back to work. I think he was so used to working with people who often exploded in anger or had unrealistic expectations that he was caught completely off guard. We had a pretty good work relationship from then on.

boris bubbanov and ftbtx like this.
  9. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

Most places I've worked seemed like they immediately went down the tubes after I started.... hmmm..... yeah, never mind.

CK Dexter Haven, nojazzhere and ftbtx like this.
  10. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

here is the thing--> is it a place that can negotiate? if, yes, would you take the job if you counter and they say 'sorry, it is our best and final'?

That is where things get emotionally crazy. If you counter ONLY counter if you will be okay if they say 'no dice'... just realize if they say 'no dice' and you still take it... that creates some odd thoughts and emotions for you AND them.

If you really want 40K more than you currently make and are willing to walk over it, go for it.
    If you are good with them saying 'nah, best and final' and taking it... go for it.

all things have echoes and ramifications... but, it is just money, so if you want it, you'll need to ask for it.

My general rule is do not negotiate if you cannot walk.

nojazzhere and ftbtx like this.
  11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Salary is just one part of an offer. How is the health care plan? Is it a high deductible plan? What is your contribution to it? What your employer pays in isn’t taxable under most circumstances. What you pay is still taxable. How does coverage compare with what you have now? 401K plans and employer contributions vary. Make sure you’ll be making good progress toward retirement. Is there a pension plan separate from the 401K? Does unused sick and vacation time roll over from one year to the next? Do you know anyone working there? Are they happy. There are a lot of questions for sure, and there are more you should be thinking about than just these. You should have answers that you like before you accept an offer.

ftbtx likes this.
  12. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I countered: we negotiated: I got a good bit more than was offered initially. Go for it!

ftbtx likes this.
  13. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Hi,
    Yes, I have a good job now, just no room for growth. I asked for 12K more and a couple extra days off. This way they can negotiate down a little and feel good about it and I still get what I want.
    The job has been vacant since July, so I have some leverage. I stated I was impressed with the offer and benefits, but felt my skills/experience are worth the higher amount.

Thank you all so much!!! I'll let you know how it goes. Waiting for a call back now.

14. ftbtx

It's a large business and I'd be a site manager

15. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Hold up here!! You really want the job, it's closer to home and it pays $30,000 more a year more than you're making right now,,, and you're Bitchin you want More?!?!

Have you ever read the story about the dog with a bone in his mouth, that looked in the pond, and saw a bigger bone, dropped his to grab the bigger bone,,, guess what!!
    You're in Texas, don't make me have to come to the Westside and hurt you:cool:

nojazzhere and ftbtx like this.
  16. ftbtx

Not bitchin, just trying to figure out the protocol. I spent most of my career in military/government service, where the pay scale was the pay scale. So negotiating is kind of new to me. But I hear what you are saying, laugh. If you make it out here, the first couple rounds are on me.

getbent and Shuster like this.
  17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

just remember if you take the job and they agree to the salery request , there is an expectation for you to do what they wish , I left an extremely lucritive job that was carreer building because the "We own your soul and your private life " factor was too strong and all my peers who were much younger than me all have grey hair and shares in greecian formula, My ex boss had a heart attack last christmas he was 8 years younger than me. BTW at 63 my hair is the same color as it was when I was 20 , with less that 3% grey.

18. ftbtx

Thanks for the advice!!!

24 track likes this.
  19. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

A story:
    Spouse, highly regarded in her field, was being recruited by two conflicting interests.

Spouse didn't know that whichever interest got her, would also get a huge grant because, unbeknownst to spouse, the grant relied upon her work.

The grant had a lifespan.

Spouse negotiated with the one she believed offered the greatest job security. Her only criteria: A parking spot.

Five years later the grant ran out, and despite spouse being very well liked and regarded amongst her coworkers, they let her go (there's more involved of course, things like unwanted 'overtures' from supervisor and the color of her skin...but we'll leave that for another time)...

The point:
    Spouse could have negotiated a golden parachute of biblical proportions, she didn't even think about it.

And after she got her parking spot it was too late.

nojazzhere, DrPepper and ftbtx like this.
  20. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

401k matching? Will they pay your portion of health care benefits? An extra week of paid vacation?

ftbtx likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.