Job Offer - Should I counter?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ftbtx, Nov 21, 2019.

1. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Hello all,
    I received a job offer this morning. It is a good offer, but I was hoping for a little more. Is it acceptable, or frowned upon, to counter the first offer?

Thanks for the help,
    FTB

2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

If you’re interested but need a better deal, then counter.
    However, be ready to move if they agree to your offer. If you don’t follow though, you’ll be labeled a flake and you’ve damaged your name.

TeleTucson, AAT65, nojazzhere and 3 others like this.
  3. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

counter - yes! or take the job and go to work every day with a bad feeling, knowing you are worth more.

4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I guess it depends on how close it is to your expectation and how good a fit is this job? Do you really want this one? Get your foot in the door and prove yourself. Also, what about other details? Instead of money, some things may be looked upon better:

-Maybe ask for a salary review at 90 days or 6 months instead of immediately more money. This looks better. "I'll prove to you I'm worth more".
    -Can you negotiate early vacation credit prior to one year?

Matt G, stormsedge, NewKid and 3 others like this.
  5. mabinogeon

mabinogeon TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

I'm sure they're expecting a counteroffer. Happened to me - I asked for an extra 10% and got it. You won't get it if you don't ask.

Matt G, TeleTucson, bender66 and 2 others like this.
  6. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

Another option - tell them you appreciate the offer you want to work for them (flatter them a tad) but that you believe you're worth more, and why (you can say how much or not). Ask how you can show them that you're worth more and arrange for a 6-month review with the understanding that, if you reach those metrics, a raise would be considered.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    ftbtx likes this.
  7. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Are you hungry ?

BB, beagle and ftbtx like this.
  8. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

It's your best shot at it now. Counter and see what they say. If you are reasonable they will move. Just like any other horse trading.

9. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

Good advice here. Counter - gently. It's an employee's market these days.

TeleTucson, Wildcard_35 and ftbtx like this.
  10. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Just a few thoughts to consider:

I was wondering if you consider there are "long term" prospects at this place of employment. But that concept may not have any real application anywhere
    any more. If it does, then ask your prospective employer, what are the prospects for advancement here?

Have you looked into what a similar job pays elsewhere? Can you confidently state, "Other companies pay X for this same job, and I know I'm worth at least that".

You generally should be confident that you will make for your company at least three times what they pay you, either by saving money or by finding new opportunities and making those happen or by whatever other measure you choose to adopt.

I was offered a certain sum once upon a time, I countered, they accepted and I've been at the same place since 1997.

As always, be careful what you ask for.

good luck with whatever you decide.

Wildcard_35 and ftbtx like this.
  11. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Thank you all for the advice, I truly appreciate it! I really want the job, it is closer to home than my current job, pays about $30k more and I believe has more upward mobility.
    It will involve a lot more work though. I think I will research the average salary and maybe try to get another $10k if I can.

Thanks again!!

12. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

First, if you're currently employed and in a pretty stable situation give it a try, but gently, like others have said here. It couldn't hurt. But if you're not employed or not in a good situation, maybe not. Sorry to be so wishy-washy but it depends on your current situation.

ftbtx likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I would counter if I knew the offer was on the low side or my qualifications were on the high side.

I also find the response may be promise of a review soon where we agree on my value in the job.
    Until they have you working they don't know what you're worth, even if they know you can do the basic job.

My last job for a company went like that, I asked for top going rate, they offered a little less and a two weeks review.
    After two weeks the rate I'd asked for was already in my second check.

Matt G and ftbtx like this.
  14. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

Oh, just read your reply. Accept the offer!

ftbtx and tery like this.
  15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

IMO your only opportunity to negotiate is now. I’ve never seen the “six month review” thing work. I’ve never seen any employer budge for anyone, no matter what they prove over six months.

To truly negotiate, have an acceptable range and a solid, demonstrable story about why you’re worth it. If that’s your range, be willing to walk away from the opportunity if it’s outside the range. Even if they say no thanks, they might call you down the road.

Conditions in my business sector changed significantly and I took a *huge* pay cut just to get working again. They’re getting far more value from me than they’re paying for, but my bottom line was to work. It doesn’t weigh me down, I just do it.

ftbtx, joealso and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That ought to blow you right out of the tub. I'd say you probably can't stand success if a 30k raise, and less travel time doesn't do it for you.

stormsedge, NewKid, Ricky D. and 2 others like this.
  17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I read job advice somewhere that seemingly sincerely suggested that you should ask for a million dollar salary

ftbtx likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I went to work in an entirely different field from my former type of work in 1995, I took less, actually a lot less to get my foot in the door. Within 90 days I was given a substantial raise. Within a year, I was making more money than I was at my former means of employment. It only got better from there.

ftbtx and joealso like this.
  19. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

Keep in mind that whatever rate you start at is the rate from which all future raises will be calculated.

20. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I have seen it go both ways.

I had a guy that told me one day he wanted a raise. I told him that his performance was such that he would not be seeing a raise in the near future. Unknown to me he went to the big boss and told him that he had another job offer that would pay him a dollar more an hour, but he was willing to let his current company match it. The big boss stood up, held out his hand as if to shake on it. The dude thought he was getting a raise (he was not worth a raise BTW) and as they grasped hands the big boss said, "thanks for your efforts, good luck on the new job."

The guy walked past me on his way to the parking lot. I asked him what he was doing as it wasn't lunch time and he told me what had transpired with the big boss. I told him I understood and that I hoped everything worked out the way he wanted. That was when he looked me dead in the eye and told me he did not have another offer for a job. He said that he had made it up based on what a friend of his had said to do to get a raise. I told him he needed to get better friends and that I guessed he had voluntarily quit since he was leaving? He said he could not go back to work for us now, he would be called a liar (I am not sure he ever really figured out that by making up the other job he was lying to begin with). I laughed a lot that day.

I on the other hand had a good job and another company came asking about my services. I gave them a salary range that I would expect and if they could make an acceptable offer I would consider it. They came in with an offer less than the range I had given. I went back to them and asked if they had not understood my salary range? They said they had understood so then I asked for the fringe benefits that must come with the salary they offered since it was low. Company car? No I was told. Four weeks of vacation? No, you will get two weeks after a year I was told. Country Club membership? They laughed and said that was not included. I told them that if the offer they presented did not have any perks added to it I would not be working for that base salary. They were stunned. I then told them my salary number which was $10K higher than the bottom of the range I had given to them previously and if you want me then this is what it is going to take. They came back with a revised offer that was at the bottom of the range I had previously given. I asked about perks again, and they told me no perks. I told them to have a good life. A week later they came back and gave me the number I asked for. I asked if there were any perks and they told me they would start me with two weeks vacation that I could take as soon as my hire date. I told them they had an employee. I spent ten years there, helped build that company into a great company and left when I felt it was time to leave. I took another job with a company who asked what it would it would take for me to come to work for them. I asked if there were any perks... :)

ftbtx, joealso, KWal and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.