1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

JMI Era AC10 twin

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by CV Jee Beez, Aug 4, 2019.

1. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

Just got back from GC Hollywood and tried one of these. I had a 64 AC30 and loved it but, I echoed a common refrain, .."it's too loud."

The AC10 is great for this. The beautiful clean tone you love in an AC30 without the supreme loudness.

An interesting thing. The amp did NOT break up at 3 o'clock.

2. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

I believe that the original AC10s are intentionally "crippled" by using a different resistor value on the input jacks which keeps the signal level down a bit (possibly so as not to compete with their AC15). Changing the resistors to the standard value makes quite a difference in gain compared to stock.

Very nice sounding amps with the EF86.

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The AC10 uses 220k ohm input resistors. There are other differences....plate resistance and cathode resistance...that have effect on the signal there. The AC15 uses 68K input resistors but uses different plate and cathode resistances, too. It would be interesting to see what goes on there IF a person wanted to change things.

tizianod and CV Jee Beez like this.
  4. plexi69

plexi69 TDPRI Member

I have a JMI AC10 head with the EF86 circuit. This head is loud enough to compete with a deluxe reverb depending on what cab I use. I have felt that all AC10's were capable of this power , that they are held back by the crummy little speakers that the combos had. Great amps!

LordByron and CV Jee Beez like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.