Jimmy Vaughan or CP 50s for biggest neck?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bill Clay, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Bill Clay

Bill Clay TDPRI Member

Hey everyone, I know there have been numerous threads over the years that have tackled this question or a variation of "what's the biggest strat neck I can get" but I haven't found anything definitive and thought it was worth checking if anybody has come up with any new information or opinions in the past few years.

I'm looking for the biggest neck I can get on a MIM strat (American and Japanese are all out of my price range so no MIJ ST-54 for me)
    It seems like conventional wisdom suggests the Classic Player 50s or the Jimmy Vaughan are going to be the biggest thing I'll find, and I've heard things about the Robert Cray but it sounds like it got skinnier and skinnier over the years with no one really being certain of when each change was made to the model so buying one online would be a real crapshoot.

I'm not concerned with radius or fret size or shape, those don't ever make anywhere near as big of an impact on comfortability as just having something substantial to grab so that's not a deciding factor, neither are the electronics or other appointments of the guitar.

So does anyone have some knowledge on which of these two models (or one I haven't mentioned) has the most mass?

Or are they the same neck as I think some have suggested before?

Also, I know that an Allparts TMO partscaster is probably the smartest thing to do, but at this time I'm really interested in exploring what Fender offers. Thanks!

2. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Don't know exactly on the Cray and Vaughan other that seems the Cray CS model went to a
    slightly smaller profile at the time the MIM version was introduced. The MIM was made to be
    like his '61 Strat neck so guess the CS one was also. Cray also had Fender quit using the
    Texas Special pickups on the CS model and helped design ones for both the CS and MIM
    models.

I have a CS Texas Special Stratocaster from early 1990 that has the late '56 style boat neck
    and it is right in there with the CS Nocaster in thickness although it is "boat neck" (big mild V shape).
    Jimmy Vaughan had this particular one #010 when he was doing the "Family" LP with Stevie.

My MIM Cray model is big for a '60s RW board type but not as big as my CS Texas Special one. It is around 15 years old or ~ 2005 or so.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  3. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had an SRV guitar (‘92) and it had th biggest neck of any Stratocaster that I’ve owned.

4. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I own a couple of Jimmie Vaughans and have played quite a few more, none had anything I would remotely consider a big neck.

5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Buy whatever guitar you like and put an Allparts SMO-fat or SRO-fat neck on it.

Wobbles, kingofdogs1950 and JRapp like this.
  6. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

^^^ This. Well satisfied with my Strat and Tele Allparts Fat necks (well, I did shave the Tele down a little).

7. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

The JV is big, so is the (discontinued) Kenny Wayne Shephard rosewood neck. The Robert Cray neck varies from what I've heard, its still big but not always as chunky as the JV or KWS.

I have both the KWS, and Cray necks and used to have a JV. The KWS is the biggest.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  8. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

I have 2 x Jimmy Vaughans and a CP50s.

I can't notice a difference. If they are different, it's very subtle.
    IMG_20200527_114934.jpg
    IMG_20180720_143407.jpg

9. Bill Clay

Bill Clay TDPRI Member

Thanks so much for the replies so far, still interested in anything anybody else has to weigh in with. I know it's going to be a fairly subjective thing; we've already had person say Jimmy Vaughan necks are big and another person say they aren't, that's just how it goes.
    Just to reiterate I'm pretty much exclusively interested in MIM offerings for price reasons. Learning about the Kenny Wayne Shepherds was a nice revelation but those have gone up too high in price for me

10. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The early Jeff Beck Strat necks were supposed to be really big and fat, I've never played one. Warmoth makes a couple big necks, boatneck and 59.

11. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.