Jimmy Page with a black Tele, 1983

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by darylcrisp, Jun 11, 2021.

1. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

Jimmy Page/Eric Clapton/Jeff Beck - ARMS - London 9/20/1983 REMASTERED/UNCUT

Geo likes this.
  2. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

That's his brown B-Bender Tele. Great stuff for sure (but I wonder how much was patched in post-production).

drmordo likes this.
  3. greenhornet

greenhornet Tele-Meister

That's Page's ____ brown Tele...

4. Ed Driscoll

One interviewer dubbed it "Botswana Brown" in the early 1980s, and it absolutely stuck. I've read books on Zeppelin where the author seems to think it's the official name for that color.

5. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

Isn't that the guitar that has the Neck from the Dragon Tele?

6. Ed Driscoll

That's what Page told Guitar World in 1998: "I salvaged the neck and put it on my brown Tele string bender that I used in the Firm [in 1985 and 1986]. As for the body, it will never be seen again!"

Geo and drmordo like this.
  7. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Holic

Mocha brown is the color

8. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

More like stool brown. It's fugly.

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think it's black, I think it's the ugly re-sprayed (I think) Telecaster he used on The Firm albums and the tours. I also think it might be the neck of that dragon Telecaster on a different body.

[EDIT: I just now read the responses above me... Oh well, I guess we all read the same articles!]

10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I think it twangs real nice. And this is when Page was probably at his worst in terms of drug impact. G-B bend at the end

Ed Driscoll and Dismalhead like this.
  11. Ed Driscoll

If I'm understanding what Page wrote in his Anthology book, it's an early 1950s Tele body, likely repainted by/for Gene Parsons, that was fitted with a Parsons stringbender in 1976 (there's a photo of the metal plate that goes above the portion of the body that needs to routed for the mechanism, that's stamped "MADE BY GENE PARSONS IN U.S.A. 1976.") And per the Guitar World quote, sometime after the 1977 American tour, the original all-maple neck was replaced with the slab rosewood fretboard neck from Page's Yardbirds and early Zeppelin-era 1959 or '60 Telecaster.

12. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Holic

As I was watching the first song and we got past the opening, I found myself thinking "Wow, I forgot that he once could actually play". Before you think I'm crazy beyond redemption, if you had visited my college dorm you would have seen Zeppelin posters on two of the 4 walls and all 9 of the original albums displayed.

And then circa 1986 I got to see my hero play live for the first time in my life with The Firm. What a complete and total crapshow. The BASS PLAYER (Tony Franklin) got the biggest pop of the night when his bass solo briefly verged into a few bars of "Purple Haze". Jimmy Page's "contribution" to that night was being a B+ rhythm guitarist for each song. The "solo" for each song consisted of 15-30 seconds of incomprehensible *noise*. I was so thoroughly disappointed that I completely wrote him off.

I had previously postulated that Page last practiced guitar somewhere around...1978...there's some dreadful stuff out there on the internet. THIS video convinces me that he *must* have practiced for at least a few days to perform this gig in 1983. Its still not "all that", but miles ahead of what he served up with The Firm circa 1986.

13. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

For decades I have believed that Page essentially forgot how to play guitar in the late 70s. Even Coda and In thru the Out Door are pretty iffy with regards to Page. I think the heroin tore him down to nothing, and he never recovered. Very tragic IMO.

That said, I love the first The Firm album and would love for it to be remixed without the 80s crapola.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  14. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Holic

I so agree with you! I read a "positive" review for "In Thru The Out Door" published at the time of its release that said Page played with "Spartan Efficiency". That's a giveaway right there--what made him noticeable was his ability to play on the edge--you weren't sure where he would go but you couldn't wait to find out. "Spartan Efficiency" was code for "they removed any of his nonsense from the released tracks". John Paul Jones *carried* that band to the finish line on that album. "Carouselambra" is a *monster* track.

I owned lots of Zeppelin posters and memorabilia once upon a time. That stuff disappeared "Little by Little" over time.

drmordo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.