1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jimmy Page: The Firm: Jimmy's Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by joe_cpwe, Dec 5, 2020.

1. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

From Jimmy Page's Facebook post today, not sure if I can share the link.
    Yeah, I follow Jimmy Page on Facebook and he posts regularly.
    One of Facebook's few redeeming qualities :)
    FWIW I saw both Firm tours in the 80s, really good stuff.

On this day in 1984, I played in Hamburg with The Firm.
    During The Firm's first tour of Europe we played Hamburg Audimax. The setlist included:
    Closer
    City Sirens
    Make Up Or Break Up
    Morning After
    Together
    Cadillac
    Prelude
    Money Can't Buy
    Radioactive
    When we were flying home from the American ARMS shows, I asked Paul Rodgers what he was going to do next. He said that he didn’t actually have anything planned. Neither did I, so I suggested we do something together. And that’s how we founded the Firm.
    Forming a band was the most logical thing to do. We were playing so well together, and really getting on so that it just made sound sense to continue. From what we’d been doing on the ARMS tour, including ‘Midnight Moonlight’, we had material ready to hit the first album.
    This is the equipment I used with the Firm when we recorded The Firm and Mean Business. There is the brown Telecaster string bender and my old AC30, which I’d had from the Led Zeppelin days. And then two foot pedals: a Chorus and an Overdrive. I still have one of the old Telecaster touring cases.

130221904_10158793769217612_3763544072581352781_o.jpg

130283912_10158793769212612_1926934819597189546_o.png

DonM, wacolo, swervinbob and 6 others like this.
  2. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

still have my tour t-shirts.....although I'm quite a bit bigger now :)

20170221_083642.jpg

20170221_083723.jpg

LPTyler, Fretting out, Henley and 2 others like this.
  3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, he used that ugly brown Telecaster for The Firm. He said it was the original paint, I'm thinking it was a respray. He also had a foot controller for his live rig. It had, if I remember correctly, three pedals inside of a metal housing, with the knobs exposed, and foot switches on it. It was pretty crude-looking. I'm remembering all of the stuff from a Guitar World article back in the day.

4. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic

I'll just drop this here.

DonM, Arafel, Ed Driscoll and 2 others like this.
  5. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I thought I'd read a while back the brown one was related to to the mirror/dragon tele...maybe the neck from that one is what's on the brown body?

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  6. 3-Chord-Genius

I think I read that recently also. I think the original body disappeared, or was ruined by a tech, or something

joe_cpwe likes this.
  7. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

I always thought the brown paint might have been a George Harrison rosewood Telecaster homage, but if it was, Page would have likely said so in his new Anthology book, which has some great photos of his key gear.

joe_cpwe likes this.
  8. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

The other guitar player in my college band and I were massive Page fanatics, so we caught both of the Firm's tours, and Page's solo Outrider tour, when they hit the Philadelphia Spectrum. The solo concert in particular was quite good. With the Firm, Page was still effectively "relearning to play guitar on the job" after Zeppelin broke-up. Page in the '80s reminded me a lot of Miles Davis during that time period: both men were coming back after long, drug-related layoffs, and both were somewhat coasting on their laurels -- but what awesome laurels they were.

drmordo and joe_cpwe like this.
  9. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I saw the Firm in Lakeland Florida Civic Center, I imagine ‘84-85 tour. A great show. Don’t recall who opened.

joe_cpwe likes this.
  10. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Indeed! The story goes that a friend of his “refinished” the dragon as a surprise and totally botched it so the neck from the mirror/dragon ended up on his bender

joe_cpwe likes this.
  11. 3-Chord-Genius

I think Fender should do a J.P. signature model of the Firm Telecaster. It's the only one I've seen that ugly color, and it won't be any less recognizable than the mirror telecaster, and people leave the mirrors off that anyway.

The Firm era didn't last long, but he had a unique tone during that time, nothing like Led Zeppelin, and even had a few radio hits.

joe_cpwe likes this.
  12. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I'm pretty sure there wasn't an opening band.

I agree, a JP ugly brown tele with a b-bender would cool ss hell.

13. UPtele

UPtele Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I prefer that ugly brown to the mirror and dragon crap on his sig model

14. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

That brown might look cool with a tortoise guard.

joe_cpwe likes this.
  15. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

Meridian Green and Gene Parsons reworked Parsons' original mechanism, so that Fender could manufacture B-Bender-equipped Teles on an assembly line. That's what I have in 1998 Fender Nashville Tele in my avatar. If Fender ever did make a Firm-era Tele, I wonder if they'd release it at two price-points: the Green-Parsons B-Bender mechanism where all the parts on the silver plate that attaches to the body, and the Custom Shop version, where the parts are attached to the body itself, as Gene Parsons does individually in his Stringbender shop? (Page's two B-Bender teles are the latter.)

Mechanism attached to cover plate:

[​IMG]

Mechanism attached to body:

[​IMG]

joe_cpwe and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  16. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Same. Pretty sure I’ve read more than once that the ‘dragon’ neck went on to the brown Tele. And that he still has the messed up other body lying around.

Pax/
    Dean

joe_cpwe and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  17. 3-Chord-Genius

I just find it interesting that Fender has the dragon model and the mirror model, but in my opinion, the ugly brown Telecaster from The Firm just has so much more coolness, for some reason. It's almost as though he needed a guitar for his new band project, and bolted together whatever crap he had laying around, recorded two albums and toured with it. It's an instrument that largely gets overlooked when people think about Jimmy Page. I was going to say perhaps that's why Fender hasn't done anything with it but on the other hand, that mirror guitar..

stale facet, joe_cpwe and UPtele like this.
  18. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I have to say I think The Firm is a band that started great, then dove straight into the ground with their second album. But that first LP lived on my turntable for a few months after I discovered it back in the late 80s.

I would LOVE to get my hands on the digital multitracks of that album and remix it so it doesn't sound so '80s. I think it would be much better regarded if the mix wasn't so horribly dated.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  19. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I saw one of the tours, also, at the Spectrum in Philly, but don’t remember too much about it. I think I rose-colored those Firm albums because of my Love for Zep, but they were trying their best to do something new, so power to ‘em. It had potential, Jimmy Page & Paul Rogers, coulda been a contender!

Brendan likes this.
  20. 3-Chord-Genius

I actually thought the better album was the second one...:confused: but yeah, if I could get a hold of those stems, I could do a totally modern sounding remix. Pretty much everything from that era sounded cheesy.

joe_cpwe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.