Jimmy Page Tele Tone

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by freddie, Mar 6, 2008.

1. freddie

freddie Tele-Meister

I wonder how Jimmy page got his early Zepplin Tele tone? It was a wicked sound for sure and all those classic tracks he used a tele on. Maybe it was the pick ups he used? The Les paul and strat get alot of credit in rock, but the Tele has done some of the most famous guitar parts ever.

'Whole Lotta Love' still slays me and 'Born To Be Wild' well that's just rock like rock will never be again.

freddie

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  2. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Born to be wild was Steppenwolf - not Zeppelin.

3. freddie

freddie Tele-Meister

I know that and I just assumed everyone here did sorry, but John Kay used a Tele for that song I was trying to say.

freddie

4. byrdbrain

byrdbrain Tele-Afflicted

An important part of the equation was his little Supro amp.
    Read more about his equipment here.

5. sprucemousse

sprucemousse TDPRI Member

i started a thread on this a while ago.

use the search function and type jimmy page telecaster in

6. piecul

piecul NEW MEMBER!

J. Page tele sound

I bought a second hand tele about 1 year ago.It sounded very similar to that J.Page "zeppelin".It was set up with 10'52 gauge strings,and they had endballs painted black-I saw 1'st time a strings with endballs painted like this!It is rare I think!Those strings sounded perfect!Wide range of frequencies,high volume,strong twang,long sustain,long life,etc.When I set up my tele with new strings it always sounds worse!Anybody knows what strings they could be?!

7. RockinCarl

RockinCarl Tele-Afflicted

On the first record "that" tone was Jimmy's STOCK 58-60 Toploader through a small Supro and a Tone Bender. Jimmy's Tele WAS modded- the dragon paint job, and the flattened radius, but the electronics that produce the tone were stock.

A vintage styled bridge pickup in the 6.0-6.5k range would get you in the ball park of Jimmy's Tele tone. But remember- There still the amp, the tone bender, the mic placement in the studio, and the hands.

8. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

"I know that and I just assumed everyone here did sorry, but John Kay used a Tele for that song I was trying to say.

freddie"

Sorry I don't think John Kay used a tele on born to be wild - Michael Monarch (or who ever was guitarist at that time) used an Esquire).

9. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Tele-Meister

+1

10. freddie

freddie Tele-Meister

Good interesting info!!! Thanks

I'd never try to imitate Pagey lol... nobody can anyway. Is an Esquire is a Tele or not...I'm not sure on that one, but it looks like one without the second pickup so some of us think of it as a Tele.. We here know the difference and respect both models. John Kay said it on a British music channel show here about guitarplayers, I didn't think twice about it. Good info Chabby thanks for clearing it up.

Pagey got some evil and sweet tones for sure, but so heavy and molten for a Tele

freddie

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  11. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Like, VOX tone Bender ??

I was farting around with wiring in my Schecter VS Strat and a Rotary a few years ago. I just wired the bridge HB to the Rotary so I could use the 6 positions to run each coil, or both coils [HB] in 3 of the positions, and the other 3 reversed the polarity of the same 3 positions. It got real interesting when using the #2 switch position and the reverse phasing in conjunction of the middle PUP.

It created one tone which nails Page's 59 LP, with the out of phase sound with the push pulls. Which also resembles his Tele's sounds. Maybe that is what he was looking for when he had the push/pulls put in that 59 LP.

I was a Bass player until one day I borrowed a guitar off my sis's boy friend when I was 15. It was a Guild Thunderbird which I played so much [what bass?] it was given to me as a present.

I had Zep one and two and that guitar and a lot of late night time figuring out al the songs. Page knocked my socks off, and I never played bass again.

Problem is that it took me a LONG time to shake sounding only like Page. People would be impressed at first, and then realize it was all I could do. So as far as "nobody can anyway" I disagree to my detriment. ;) I stopped playing for 25 year and started again about 6 year ago. I sound a lot NOT like page now, I mean to say I do not sound only like Page anymore. ;)

12. A0nut

A0nut NEW MEMBER!

I realize this is extremely old but I love the way his telecaster sounds. I've been trying my best to capture that sound. Im close, I think so at least. I do have a video of me playing if you want to check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeJ7gdxsHyI In the video im using a Squire Telecaster. Amazing guitar, in my opinion. Anyways thought id add my 2 cents to this. Thanks!

13. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

whole lotta love isnt a tele

he only used a tonebender on 3 tracks (dazed, how many more times, you shook me)

14. abieber

abieber TDPRI Member

1967 nos .47 tone cap Don mare zepotone pickups are an exact rewind of Pages 1967 tele

15. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Treble boosters were also a big part of Page's tone. Once you play through one it becomes apparent.

16. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Here's my take, or how I get that rocking tone.

Tube amp.... tweed style... that gives good old school overdriven tone. If the amp has a Tone control, turn it up to 60-70% or so.

Turn it up... maybe not to 12 but at least to 7, 8, or 9.

Tele on the bridge pickup.

Roll back the tone control until it's all the way to the bass side.

Turn up the volume on the guitar all the way.

Now, start playing and roll the guitar's tone control up until you can hear the change... maybe just a little more. Too much treble kills it.

That's my take.

17. Stringbender11

Stringbender11 Tele-Meister

Page rocks! He's probably my favorite guitarist out of many that i like. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.