1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jimmy Page Mirror Tele vs 50s Custom shop

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by amv74, Jan 18, 2021.

1. amv74

amv74 TDPRI Member

Been gassing for a custom shop 50s tele, probably been looking at 52, just looking for a deal i can afford for one not too reliced, was hoping in the mid 2000s. Friend told me he really liked the Jimmy Page mirror tele, but that was 2500, so i played it but thought for that, i can probably get close to a used custom or discounted new. Well, the GC near me marked a JP mirror down to 1750, and that makes it a pretty good deal. I can’t really get my hands on custom shop easily, certainly not a the same time. The JP seems to get good reviews, i played one that sounded awfully good, i like the neck a lot, probably a bit thinner than a 52. Just wondering on people’s thoughts on this, yes i know this is very subjective, but more into thoughts of the quality of the page vs a custom, maybe some tonal comparisons, not necessarily looking for this one is better type stuff but what they both would bring to table. i last got my hands on a custom about 1 1/2 years ago, so my memory is a bit vague, but i actually thought the page sounded a hotter, but yet nice and clear on the neck. Thank you in advance

2. Coyoteaz

Coyoteaz Tele-Meister

I have a 52 Custom Shop. One of the finest guitars I've ever played and one that i will never sell. The Custom Shop stuff really is a big step up in quality and craftsmanship.

LPTyler likes this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I'd get a 70th anniversary Broadcaster

irie likes this.
  4. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Jakedog likes this.
  5. amv74

amv74 TDPRI Member

i actually have a suhr classic antique t that i love. in fact that guitar got me looking at higher end fender type guitars. there is definitely a difference in the higher end. i played a page and it sounded really good. seemed well constructed....i have looked at anderson too. a friend wants me to look at nash ...nice to have options

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  6. amv74

amv74 TDPRI Member

ps. i really didn’t seriously consider the page till the price dropped to 1750. relatively speaking, i thought that seemed about right for that guitar

7. amv74

amv74 TDPRI Member

i assume you like the neck profile, what are the specs on it? is yours aged at all?

8. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I really like my page tele, I don’t know if it’s gonna scratch an early 50’s itch though

9. amv74

amv74 TDPRI Member

i would take that too!!!

10. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Not this again. Specifically how is the quality any better than say, anything from the AV or AO series (aside from the obvious relic work)?

11. amv74

amv74 TDPRI Member

i am curious if would elaborate. i would be interested in your thoughts. thank you.

12. amv74

amv74 TDPRI Member

this is a little bit of what i am wondering, is a higher in fender production model like a page or AV, on par or close to custom quality...

13. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Once you get beyond a certain point it becomes the law of diminishing returns. Is a CS team built $2000 "better" than a top of the line production model? Or is it just different? I've played my bandmate's two CS Closet Classic guitars and I've got an AO60's Tele and Strat. I prefer the tone and feel of my AO's. If you look it up there's plenty of people who say the AO's are basically CS level quality but without the price tag. Like I said, once you get above a certain threshold it all becomes subjective. Some people swear by CS. I've only picked up one single CS that I've liked the neck on it.

But empirically, "quality" speaking the AO's are impeccable. They've got all the hardware and pickups from the AV series. All they changed was the neck radius (9.5:) and the finishing process was tweaked to be a bit more durable than the AV's. (AO added a poly sealer on the body to help the nitro paint adhere better).

Fretting out likes this.
  14. Fretting out

For my tastes the page tele is perfect, fit and finish on mine is excellent

The neck felt a little slim compared to what I like but it’s definitely comfortable

It sounds decent also

I don’t have any complaints

15. amv74

amv74 TDPRI Member

i can see all that, i thought the page was a bit hotter than the my recollection of the 52 custom ... unfortunately i haven’t been able to get my hands on a AV or AO

16. amv74

amv74 TDPRI Member

fair enough, i appreciate your insight.

17. Fretting out

I can’t speak of the custom shop or av.52 pickups but the page pickups definitely seem less hot compared to the pure vintage 64 pickups that are in the av.64/a.o 60’s

18. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

If you're going Fender, I think CS is preferable to the Page mirror version. With the Page, you're paying as well for the duplication and collector's features, which have zero to do with playability or build quality. I don't like the overcharging for CS production (I buy used to avoid that) but I really do like the the CS guitars themselves. They're quite consistently fine (which they should be, since Leo designed them to be easy to make!)

19. amv74

amv74 TDPRI Member

Well, my thought may be similar, i think the CS may be a bit more consistent than most production models, ie, less likely to get a dud. At this point i can get a page new for 1750, the GC by me has them marked down. I think i can get a non reliced 52 CS for 2900... so this is really coming down to my decision. I do think at 1750, you really aren’t paying for the page name or extras, but probably what that guitar should cost, relatively fair price. If it was a decision of page at 2500, then to me no brainer, get the CS

wildbill59 likes this.
  20. Coyoteaz

Coyoteaz Tele-Meister

9.5 radius. Standard 52 specs. Relic. Only guitar I like better is my Custom Shop 60 Tele Custom. Not because the specs are better, for whatever reason it just has that mojo.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.