1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jimmy Page extra magnets?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by merseymale, Sep 27, 2020.

1. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That is hilariously false.....

OldPup, TG and wyclif like this.
  2. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

"I customized it by applying circular mirrors to make it almost kinetic."

You mock what you don't understand. He is speaking in terms of visual effect, not aural.

3. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

To be fair, we mock pretty much everything around here other than Merle Haggard, and that's only because we're afraid of him.

4. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

He decorated his guitar with mirrors. You really think there was all that much thought put into it?

5. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

AlNiCo doesn't stay fully saturated after it's initial charge. Some percentage of the magnetic domains don't remain aligned once the magnetizing source is removed. If there is a magnet stuck to the under side of the AlNiCo, it will keep more of those domain in alignment on a permanent basis. The overall boost is only about 10%. But then again, you can raise the pickup closer to the strings and that will have the same overall effect. Since AlNiCo is brought closer to saturation, the inductance will drop slightly. All in all, I think the psychological satisfaction of having "modified" your guitar is the greatest effect it has.

Asmith and Rob DiStefano like this.
  6. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I mean he said in interviews that he just threw them on there for looks... they are mirrors not magnets...

Edit: I now see them... interesting.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  7. MrCoolGuy

My favorite too... but only 1 song on LZ1 is original... everyone knows this but still crazy.

Fearnot likes this.
  8. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

Interestingly, I listened to LZI and LZII back to back the other day. I thought that his playing on LZII sounded more like a Tele than on LZ1. A lot of his lead is a bit staccato and spiky and he seems to be running a fair bit of treble on his amps. I think this is must also have something to do with how the album was recorded - the sound just seems a bit thinner and drier to me.

LZ1 on the other hand has a lot of bottom end (likely because of all the fuzz) and is a bit more riffy, if that makes sense. Not necessarily more of a Les Paul sound, but certainly not what I'd immediately associate with Tele. Speaks to the versatility of the instrument I suppose, and I say this as someone who still likes their Tele for heavier stuff.

Just my ears, but if you played me both and asked me to pick which one was predominantly recorded on a Tele I'd probably say LZII for a bunch of the tracks.

spurgie79 likes this.
  9. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Look closely at the picture. There are a couple refrigerator magnets stuck to the bottom of the pickup that is popped out of the guitar. Took me a bit of looking ro see them.

10. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I don't think that's true at all. He is one of the greatest Telecaster players of all time even though he switched to the Les Paul. In the days of the Yardbirds and for the first Led Zeppelin album, he was all-in on the Telecaster.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    rangercaster likes this.
  11. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I agree that guitar players of old had no deep understanding of gear and 'tone'... they were just young guys with lots of young guys' confidence and ego, who used what gear they had available (and the ones we still remember are the ones who used it well....there were plenty who didn't). They mostly didn't have a clue.

Regarding the Fender technician seriously listening to Mr. Page explain his mirrors and fridge magnets...
    ...it's just getting history right.
    George Harrison and Patty Boyd hand painted the Rocky strat. If I paid thousands for an accurate copy I'd expect the same type of nail polish on it...

12. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

Check out the "Heart Full of Soul" vid. Jimmy boy could handle a Telecaster quite well.

13. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

magnets in passive pickups have only one job - magnetize the strings. lots of magnetism is typically not a good thing, all the way to being a really really really bad thing. there's a reason why most will prefer using and enjoying weaker (alnicX) magnets for passive pickups.

MickM and drf64 like this.
  14. MrCoolGuy

Oh... I stand corrected.
    That seems like it would definitely make a difference then. Easy to find out...

15. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

Page used a Gibson Flying V for "You Shook Me" on the first album, so that might be what is throwing you off. The acoustic songs were played with a Gibson J200. Both were borrowed. The rest were the Tele.

16. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was looking at this thread on my phone. it took me three times to find the magnets. :lol::lol:

17. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

His first Fender guitar was a Strat, then got a Tele and all the recordings on the first 4 albums were Tele. The LP's were used live from second tour on and he splits the HB very often.

18. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

19. percy

percy Tele-Meister

I think the first album and some songs on other albums Page played a Tele

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.