Jimmy Greaves...Legend

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by aging_rocker, Sep 19, 2021.

1. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

I appreciate that the name might not mean much outside of the UK, but today we lost a true sporting giant of the beautiful game, James Peter Greaves MBE at 81.

He had a debilitating stroke a few years back, and his quality of life hadn't been good since then.

He was England's fourth highest international goalscorer (44 goals), Tottenham Hotspur's highest ever goalscorer (266 goals), the highest goalscorer in the history of English top-flight football (357 goals), and also scored more hat-tricks (six) for England than anyone else.

As a boy in the 60s, my grandfather and I would regularly catch the No 58 bus into Wolverhampton to watch our local team Wolves play at Molineux, and I got to see most of the giants of the era - the Charltons, George Best, Bobby Moore, Jimmy Greaves, etc., in their prime.

But I vividly remember my grandad one day saying 'we're at least a goal down before the match even starts, because Greavsies playing today'

RIP Jimmy (and my grandfather, who I'm having wonderful memories of today too) :cry:

2. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Mid sixties I think it was he was living in Hornchurch and had connections to a gents’ outfitters called’ I seem to remember, Footprint. It was a couple of doors along from Regent Sewing Centre in Station Lane where I worked. Saw him many times and exchanged ‘how’s it going? conversations. Straight forward down to Earth bloke as I remember. Genuinely , a legend.

4wotitswurth and aging_rocker like this.
  3. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Meister

RIP Brother!

aging_rocker likes this.
  4. Flaneur

Flaneur Poster Extraordinaire

Wasn't a great athlete.
    Didn't link play very much.
    Didn't always play in dominant teams.

Best scoring record, in all European elite leagues, from 1971, until 2017.

[​IMG]

I saw him play, three or four times, against my team. he did virtually all his work, in the penalty area. Every time the ball came near him, I feared the worst.

Archtops and aging_rocker like this.
  5. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Saint and Greavsie was always worth a watch too.

aging_rocker likes this.
  6. aging_rocker

There's a great quote, I can't remember who said it, I think it was a young player talking to his manager, but it's something like:

"Greaves is lazy, he just hangs around on the halfway line most of the time"

"Yes, and when you can score as often as he does, you can hang around there with him..."

7. aging_rocker

Yep.
    They had their own Spitting Image puppets too!
    upload_2021-9-20_12-21-58.png

RIP The Saint & Greavsie

Archtops likes this.
  8. aging_rocker

It was indeed a different era...the 'half-time smoke' wasn't uncommon back then...
    upload_2021-9-20_12-30-46.png

trancedental likes this.
  9. Flaneur

Flaneur Poster Extraordinaire

A great goal scorer, rather than the scorer of great goals. He made difficult stuff look routine and didn't often have to extend himself, to make a flashy play- he was a step ahead of defenders, mentally. He anticipated what was going to happen and was ahead of the game, literally and metaphorically.
    Closest modern comparison? Ian Wright, perhaps? Lineker was a much better athlete and Shearer was much more powerful.
    He would score even more prolifically, in the modern era. Wouldn't have to take the punishment, under the rules today.

trancedental and aging_rocker like this.
  10. aging_rocker

I love this quote from this article: https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/...bituary-goals-statistics-lionel-messi-1206689

"...Greaves was not playing on the high-tech bowling greens laid out in the Premier League. The pitches were frequently fit for hippos only. Balls and boots heavy with mud were not the lightweight tools with which today’s poster boys are familiar. And the agricultural tackle from behind, courtesy of a lumpy centre-half scything through the bog, is no longer a feature of the game."

trancedental and 4wotitswurth like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.