1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jimmie Vaughan: Texas Flood

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by chemobrain, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I seen both and I am a fan of both. Just two different styles, that's part of the beauty of the blues. I seen Jimmies son Tyrone, another good guitarist, in The Royal Southern Brotherhood at a small venue outside Philly. He shares duties with another really good player I knew of from his solo work, Bart Walker. I passed some words with him after the show. With that linage he has to feel some weight. I showed up with some expectations and I wasn't disappointed. I plan to make a point of keeping an eye out for him.

2. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Of the little I've heard of Jimmie, he strikes me as having a much more distinctive style because he seems to play a little behind the beat alot. It's like he's always a nano second off/slow. When he's doing it, it doesn't sound like anyone else. Here's a good example of what I'm talking about:

xafinity likes this.
  3. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Less is more..

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  4. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Anson is who got me into the blues..my dad would take to see him and the Rockets at Poor David's pub in Dallas...none better.

SnidelyWhiplash and Fiesta Red like this.
  5. exactopposite

exactopposite Tele-Meister

This is the first time I've heard Jimmie in many years. it's not really my thing. Mind you I was just watching SRV at El Mocambo thinking about how much he was over playing.What I consider to be "just right" for me is somewhere between the two. When you drive you use the gas and the brake (and the clutch too if you got one). Jimmie sounds more like coasting along to me. Everybody likes what they like though.

6. dogwatermike

dogwatermike Tele-Meister

I think my favorite Stevie song is Tin Pan Alley.... My fav Jimmie song is probably Dengue Woman..... I like both, but as noted, way different styles.... I saw Stevie twice in the mid '80s in San Diego... wow! Great versions of Texas Flood ...thanks for posting! Great way to start the day!

7. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

You have to understand the blues to get Jimmie...rock blues he is not...he is taking his style from my old band leader Mr. Ervin Charles....and he will tell you that.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  8. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I'm really diggin' this version. Fantastic! :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.