Jimi's Radio One Strat

TheGoodTexan

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
cover.jpg

Is anyone aware of any other pictures of this guitar?

Questions I've wondered about this guitar for years:
  • What is the specific Fender color?
  • Or is it some sort of custom thing?
  • Is there binding on it?
  • Or is there a sort-of "pin stripe" around the top?
  • Is the finish transparent?
  • Or is all of this just an effect of the lighting?

I've always thought it would be a really cool guitar to replicate in a tribute sort of way. Only hyper Hendrix fanatics would probably recognize a tribute of this guitar, but I think it would be cool.

I've got a raw Strat body just sitting here, waiting to be finished. I'm thinking about aiming in this direction.

fraser

Tele-Afflicted
its likely a regular black strat-
seems he was using one or several at the time period when he was wearing that old military jacket.
weird lighting/ photo retouching accounts for the confusion

Jimi-Hendrix-Sound-Check-Music-Blog.jpg

Jimmy+Hendrix.jpg

might be the same one used at montery even.

jimi-hendrix-OD7L_o_tn.jpg

fraser

Tele-Afflicted
could be sunburst-
that strat on the bbc cover is missing the volume knob,
and im pretty sure the burst hes holding here was missing a knob- hard to see in that pic, but i used to have a copy of that same photo, but in better resolution. im almost positive it was.

tumblr_ly479p6m0R1qb98uxo1_500.jpg

i figure, the haircut and outfit put that album cover photo firmly in the context of jimis first album and concerts with the experience. early- mid 67, and thats when the first bbc recordings were done. (not that that has anything to do with the album art)
he didnt have a lot of guitars then.

i think it unlikely that that was anything other than a stock strat.

Guitarmadcat

Banned
That photo is so heavily (and very poorly, in my opinion) airbrushed and re-touched that it's virtually impossible to tell what the original colour was. As previously mentioned, it's extremely unlikely that it was anything other than a stock Strat of the time.

garyd5158

Tele-Afflicted
could be sunburst-
and im pretty sure the burst hes holding here was missing a knob- hard to see in that pic, but i used to have a copy of that same photo, but in better resolution. im almost positive it was.

i figure, the haircut and outfit put that album cover photo firmly in the context of jimis first album and concerts with the experience. early- mid 67, and thats when the first bbc recordings were done. (not that that has anything to do with the album art)

Who's the guy next to Jimi with the revolver in his hand?

TheGoodTexan

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Since I first posted that yesterday, I've done a lot of internet searching. It does appear that the original of the Radio One photo was black & white, so any color that we're seeing is a hand re-touch. Then yeah, it's probably seen tons of processes after that point.

Well... I might still try to replicate it, just for the heck of it. I think it looks cool.

dog fart

Friend of Leo's
I wondered about that one a lot when the album came out. If you decide to do it, I'd like to see the pics of your tribute Texan.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I love the fact that Hendrix was never sentimental about his guitars.

He'd get production guitars in quantity and use them as tools.

Had he lived, I doubt very seriously he'd be playing a #1 that he had owned for 30 yrs.

Matthias

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I think it's most likely black, too. I spotted it had been hand-coloured, and I suspect the reflection along the upper (lower in Jimi's case) horn was added to emphasise the shape of the Strat. And they didn't do a good job of it.

Slip Kid

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I'd be willing to bet it's the same black Strat played at Monterey. I believe that photo (and few others that I've seen) were taken at a free show Jimi did at Golden Gate Park on the back of a flatbed truck a week after Monterey (according to my Hendrix Concert File book).

fraser

Tele-Afflicted
I'd be willing to bet it's the same black Strat played at Monterey. I believe that photo (and few others that I've seen) were taken at a free show Jimi did at Golden Gate Park on the back of a flatbed truck a week after Monterey (according to my Hendrix Concert File book).

could be- i have a picture someplace, jimi in that jacket,
black strat bieng played behind his head.
pic is taken from behind, you see the face of the guitar, back of jimis head, and the crowd watching.

picture states its golden gate park.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Wow..I didn't even see the gun. I would have been a dead man....

Reminds me of a night I almost was a dead man. I pulled up to a motel to pick up a friend of mine that I had dropped off there earlier. So I pull up with his brother and his brothers best friend because it was in a bad part of town.

Directly in front of us, someone is getting robbed at gunpoint, outside of their motel room. The guy with the gun turns, looks at us, and motions with the revolver to back up. Only I didn't notice that part. So my friends brother says "man, back up!" and I'm like "huh? What? Why? Durrrrrr". No clue why he's wanting me to back up.

So instead of explaining, he grabs the gear shift, puts HIS foot on the brake pedal from the PASSENGER SIDE, and puts in in reverse and says "MAN BACK THE F- UP!"

Yea. I was completely ignorant to the fact that the guy was being robbed and we just had a gun pointed at us. We got out of there FAST at that point. Playing it back in my head afterwards, Im not sure how I missed all of that. I guess I was busy looking for my buddy.

Rufus

Friend of Leo's
I read several years ago that the original b&w picture was hand painted by an artist who took artistic liberties with it.
The guitar body was not bound, as it was made to look after being colorized.

I’m guessing that the backstage photo was taken BEFORE Cat Stephens’ Peace Train, love everyone and everything period…? ;-)

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
could be sunburst-

thats cat stevens w/ gary leeds and engelbert

Is it just me, or do all of those non-Hendrix guys look like Lon Chaney as a different villain?

Even including Jimi, that is a seriously awkward pic.