Jimi vs. Prince

Pcs264

Tele-Meister
Whew!!! I was horrified when I first read the title of this thread, but then I saw that it was about a hypothetical game of hoops between the two. I'm fine and mildly entertained by that. But if it had actually been about guitar playing, how could that even be a question??? Prince's best role if he was in the same band with Jimi would be "Roadie". 😂

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Jimi smoked cigs and other things
Prince would wipe the court with him.

Music-wise, Prince was immensely the more interesting of the two, IMO.
But then hippie druggie boomer stuff kinda leaves me cold

Prince was objectively the better singer, I don't think anyone can seriously argue otherwise.

don't smoke, kids. and don't do drugs. drugs killed both of these amazing musicians

Last edited:

regularslinky

Tele-Afflicted
Basketball: Prince, in high heels and a purple silk blouse.

Musically: Jimi was a great guitarist, performer, and producer. Prince was a great guitarist, vocalist, bassist, drummer, keyboard player, performer, songwriter, producer, arranger, etc. Once in a lifetime talent.

Robert H.

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Jimi and Prince? Hoops? Who’s a better musician - Jordan or Kareem? Prince was from Minneapolis. Jimi was from Neptune. Not fair.
Musically, Prince was a brilliant musician who wrote, played, sang and changed the industry. Jimi was a brilliant guitarist and, at times song writer, who’s virtuosity on guitar eclipsed every other popular instrumentalist. Can’t think of a more influential musician in the last 70 years. (Maybe Bob Marley)

Last edited:

old soul

Tele-Afflicted
Given jimis lifestyle, he was in really good shape, and he had spider hands almost like he had marfans, or something.
Prince, I've perceived as almost impish, but not meaning it I'm a bad way at all- I really like his music and creativity.
3 seconds on the clock, I see prince squeezing between jimis legs, spinning around on those high heel boots and doing a lay-up with a shy-boy pouty face with jimi standing there saying 'dig'

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
I hate to be “that guy” but I never understood the adoration of Prince’s guitar playing ability….I’ve never heard him play anything that was difficult at all….certainly nothing that an average guitarist would have a hard time playing.

I always thought that Jimi’s rhythm playing was a thing of beauty.

Indeed. Jimi's sense of rhythm was up there with Clyde Stubblefield and Jabo Starks. To paraphrase Little Richard: so funky it wanna make my toes stick upin my boot.

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
I dunno. I'd have to think about it over lunch at Tijuana Especial on Av Constitucion or maybe a lobster lunch at Puerto Nuevo and a Tequia at El Museo or maybe a quail in brown mushroom sauce at Caves de los Tigres in Maneadero. Can't think when I'm hungry.

Ever tried the Caesar salad at Caesars? I was mildly disappointed (it's different than what I thought a Caesar salad was supposed to be) but I can say I've had one at the place that invented it.

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
Whew!!! I was horrified when I first read the title of this thread, but then I saw that it was about a hypothetical game of hoops between the two. I'm fine and mildly entertained by that. But if it had actually been about guitar playing, how could that even be a question??? Prince's best role if he was in the same band with Jimi would be "Roadie". 😂

Oh I dunno, back-up singer.... maybe?

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
Jimi smoked cigs and other things
Prince would wipe the court with him.

Music-wise, Prince was immensely the more interesting of the two, IMO.
But then hippie druggie boomer stuff kinda leaves me cold

Prince was objectively the better singer, I don't think anyone can seriously argue otherwise.

don't smoke, kids. and don't do drugs. drugs killed both of these amazing musicians

I agree with the part about the drugs.

mindlobster

Tele-Afflicted
I hate to be “that guy” but I never understood the adoration of Prince’s guitar playing ability….I’ve never heard him play anything that was difficult at all….certainly nothing that an average guitarist would have a hard time playing.

I always thought that Jimi’s rhythm playing was a thing of beauty.
I always thought Prince's strength was in being pretty good at a lot of things. That's a gift in itself, he's a bit like Todd Rundgren in that way (Todd was one of his heroes). There's nothing Prince does that he's the world's best at.

nickmm

Tele-Holic

Attachments

• nirvana-hanson-t-shirt-thumb.jpg
    nirvana-hanson-t-shirt-thumb.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 9

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
In honor of the Tom Petty vs. Dire Straits thread I thought it might be time.....

Jimi vs. Prince - hoops one on one, half-court. Jimi has the height at 5'10"-ish vs. Prince's 5' ....whatever. But Prince has the slick moves to the hoop. On the other hand, Jimi has that beautiful three-pointer though.

(I used to know a guy who liked to challenge people to one on one FULL COURT!) But for Jimi and Prince, hey they're musicians it's not like they have the conditioning for that. So half-court to 20, one point per. Winner gets the Title as the Coolest Dude... ever. Musician, Sportsman, bragging rights.

This is an important thread, I've been obsessing on this scenario for months.
;-)
Prince, hands down.