Jimi vs. Prince

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Look, Jimi had HUGE hands compared to most guitar players, and Prince was even shorter than me (had an employee that met him, he was short and real skinny). Prince, playing a Telecaster like that...... he had to work alot harder that an average size cat, but the end result was SO MUCH BETTER than most of the guitar playing populace that I have no doubts about Charlie Murphys claims about playing a pickup game against Prince. I'd assume that he worked his arse off to get really good, to compensate for what was assumed of someone substantially shorter than average.

Jimi got an honorable discharge from the army fora broken ankle or something?

So Prince would look like a Globetrotter in that matchup.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
Personally, I'd go with Jimi, but reluctant to have to make the call.

But it does make me wish I could have seen a collaboration between them, because they both had creativity, skill and inventiveness all over the place.

trandy9850

Tele-Meister
Ad Free Member
I hate to be “that guy” but I never understood the adoration of Prince’s guitar playing ability….I’ve never heard him play anything that was difficult at all….certainly nothing that an average guitarist would have a hard time playing.

I always thought that Jimi’s rhythm playing was a thing of beauty.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Neither. After 5 minutes both would declare it a draw, move off the court to the bleachers, grab guitars and write songs together. What incredible music that would have been!:)

Blue Bill

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Since we're discussing a silly hypothetical, concerning personal opinions, I must chime in. No disrespect to Prince, (or whatever you're supposed to call him), but Hendrix invented an entire category of music. He influenced just about every musician since he hit the scene. I don't see where Prince had anywhere near the impact that JH did. Sorry if this sounds unkind, but I see Prince as a Jimi-wanna-be, crossed with Lady Gaga theatrics; entertaining, sure, but not game-changing.

Also in basketball, Prince might get in a lucky shot here and there, but really, no contest.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
I dunno. I'd have to think about it over lunch at Tijuana Especial on Av Constitucion or maybe a lobster lunch at Puerto Nuevo and a Tequila at El Museo or maybe a quail in brown mushroom sauce at Caves de los Tigres in Maneadero. Can't think when I'm hungry.

Last edited: