Jimi...Sept 18th 1970

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tdub, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Tdub

Tdub Friend of Leo's

Today is the anniversary of his passing. His music will forever live on.

And this is very cool...

2. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

he'll be forever remembered.

if he hadnt had died then, what would his mark be like on the world now, makes you wonder

3. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Rave on Jimi.

4. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I just checked out your version of "Red House" on your You Tube page, really good and you have some voice too. Are you using a Blues Junior or Pro Junior? Can't tell from the video.

5. Tdub

Tdub Friend of Leo's

Thanks dude. That is a Blues Junior.

6. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, I was sitting in The Cafe waiting to go to Home Room 228 that morning.

Tommy, wow.
    Funny whenever, whoever, wherever some Guitarist thinks that they're all that I think of Tommy Emmanuel and smile contentedly.

Regarding Jimi - I think he'd be playing mostly Acoustic too. Between almost going deaf during his breakout years and because of his love for for The Folk Music Scene which even during the height of Foxy Lady he always stayed pretty close to Folk Music.

7. LordOfTheString

LordOfTheString Tele-Meister

41 years later and I still am trying to mimic his chops! What a true legend that is still heavily missed in our industry!

8. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

The greatest. Some of us remember, but some of us are too young to remember what a true innovator he was. Basically, there was electric guitar Before Hendrix and then electric guitar After Hendrix.

I remember being so upset when I heard the news of his death that I cut out of school--I couldn't deal with it, or much of anything else that day.

9. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

I remember driving to school while listening to Paul Harvey and he announced that Jimi had died.When i got to school and told my friends the bad news no one believed me.By lunch time they all knew he had died.

10. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I think that's the neighborhood directly behind me. We go walking over there all the time, and although I've never been in that little galley way of back yards, it looks exactly like that from the street.

I think I'll try to find a land mark in that video and see if it is.

How cool would it be to find out that Tommy is friends with someone around the corner from me? Friends enough to be hanging out jamming on their back porch? :cool:

11. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

A bandmate's older brother called us into his bedroom. He dropped the needle on Foxey Lady. After 4 seconds, I knew that the game had changed. That record was so powerful that I could not buy it. I could only listen in small doses, which I would do at friends' homes. It was the first time that I was afraid of music. Or, more accurately, afraid that by listening to it, I was decreasing its potency. For years, I have felt that about Good Vibrations, A Day in the Life, Schoenberg's 4th string quartet, among others.

Reading a recent bio, I felt that Hendrix had been pushed to exhaustion. Since his stage act seemed to retain certain basic components, he was becoming more show biz as time went on. He was in a trap from which he could not escape as Jimi Hendrix. He seemed like such a sweet, almost guileless person.

As I listen to him today, he never ceases to astonish me with his phrasing. When I hear people talking about him in terms of his wildness, fire, and stage act, I believe that what they are really speaking of is his phrasing. But few people have a language in which to communicate how his phrasing affects them. If it didn't affect them, would they still be talking about his death decades later? It's the notes, man, the notes. Not all that other stuff that anyone can do.

12. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The most influential guitarist of all time IMO.

13. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I was born in '72.

I'm a HUGE Hendrix fan.

When I listen to him, I like to remind myself of what guitarists were not around when AYE? came out.

14. krapyajleinad

krapyajleinad Former Member

Damn on my birthday too. I hope wherever he is now he is all well.

15. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

He didn't have anybody to turn to that wasn't out to take more of his money.

His phrasing set a Gold-standard that guitarists are still measured by.

I remember hearing the Clean intro on Rainy Day, Dream Away for the first time. You could have knocked me over with a feather.
    Then the Wah-Wah work on Still Raining, Still Dreaming.

Music that has spoken for itself over and over for all these years.

16. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

R.I.P. James Marshall Hendrix . Not my favourite guitar player of all times but the only one who brings tears to my eyes , sometimes .
    I can listen to Jimi only when i'm alone these days .

17. nattaruk

nattaruk Tele-Meister

I remember the impact watching Hendrix for the first time had on me. It was a grainy black and white amateur clip shown on the OGWT, but my jaw hit the floor. Pure music seemed to flow from him.
    I had only been playing for a few months; he both inspired and intimidated me. He still does.
    He demonstrates the difference between playing, living, feeling the notes and performing the musical score.

18. axeornot

axeornot Tele-Meister

Jimi - a true original...A very young man who still had so much to say musically. What a loss. I hear so much of him in so many players.

19. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Hendrix got the thickest tones ever from a Strat. He sounded like he was hooked directly to the power grid instead of an amp.

Jimi really used controlled feedback as part of his sound.

With his huge thumb he could cover the whole fretboard and do things most cant.

100 years from now his music will still sound as awesome as it did 41 years ago.

He really made the guitar sound ELECTRIC.

Also one of the best wah wah and rhythm players.

20. axeornot

axeornot Tele-Meister

Well said...and it's all accurate!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.