Jimi Hendrix's guitar for sale

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
Wow. The guy playing the guitar certainly isn't any slouch either.
Absolutely, Paul is a great guitar player with a really good theoretical knowledge. I have watched a couple of his video and he really knows a lot... he also makes online guitar courses.

That being said, I have no affiliation with him.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
That's a good looking rooster you're riding. I imagine he's a big help when it comes to rounding up the rest of the herd and running off chicken rustlers.
Algie is the product of experimentation of trying to create a Trex from an embrionic chicken , as you can see it failed but he is a wonderful guard bird and is quite loyal

he's a hit with the hens as well!

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Absolutely, Paul is a great guitar player with a really good theoretical knowledge. I have watched a couple of his video and he really knows a lot... he also makes online guitar courses.

That being said, I have no affiliation with him.
I'll have to check out his vids. What's his last name?

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
doesn't this mean having to change (or at least flip) the nut?

This was also something that crossed my mind. Jimi would've had to have had the nut replaced, in order to play it left handed... OR cut the nut and not worry about the size of the slots i.e. thereby it could be strung either way? I wouldn't think that the case, however, but what do I know. One thing that bothers me about this guitar is the wear on the back. It just doesn't seem right to me, and looks rather contrived. It also looks "new-ish" to me too... at 10M bucks, I'd certainly have some questions that would need answers.

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
OMG! It's just an atypical black Strat from the mid 1960's. Fender probably built hundreds just like it in that period. Jimi most likely played a bunch around that time that nobody knows about. Some of these people have gone over the edge when it comes to these guitars. I have a few that are probably equally as good if not better because all the components are top of the line. Jimi could play anything and make it sound incredible. Who can really prove that this was Jimi's guitar? Unless it is something you can positively identify, I am skeptical.

NickDG

TDPRI Member
>>The Rock'n'Roll Valhalla where you only play the best vintage guitars and there are gigs with a superb audience all the time<<

Whenever I play in front of people (not too often) and it goes okay it makes me happy. But only because I know I'm walking a thin line between being passably good and an outright disaster. My knowing I could never bomb makes me wonder if I'd ever pick up a guitar again. It would be too much like this . . .

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
For the people saying meh, this is just an old Strat, I have to wonder . . . have you lost touch with the joy and excitement that presumably led you to play guitar in the first place? (all those years ago, for a good portion of posters on this forum).

I find it difficult to understand how anyone who retains any kind of love for electric guitar and the magic of making/playing music wouldn't feel even a frisson of excitement for an opportunity to handle or play an instrument of such provenance.

Even more ironic given all the the extended discussions on the TDPRI about "mojo" and the merits of vintage instruments.

View attachment 925886

Right, the way some people around here act is like if they were signing a contract and they had the opportunity to use the pen John Hancock used to sign the Declaration of Independence or a regular Bic pen, they’d use the Bic because pens are just tools for getting ink onto paper.

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic
Because it's never been properly established/proven that it was actually owned/played/burned by Hendrix. There is only anecdotal evidence. Which is to say, none at all.

Correct...the individual who gave it to Zappa shouldn't have been in possession of it in the first place. It's assumed to be from a March 1967 gig because it's been confirmed that Jimi burned a sunburst Strat at that performance. BUT another Strat was sold at auction as the guitar from that performance. Again, with specious evidence.

Plus, the story kept changing. It was supposed to be the Monterey Start, but that's impossible. Then, it was said it was a Strat from Jimi's performance at the Miami Pop Festival, but it's well-established he didn't burn a guitar that day.

The only thing that maybe connects the Zappa guitar to Hendix is that there is a picture of Hendrix holding the Strat before it was burned. You can see the back of the body, and there's a long scratch on the back of it. There is what looks like a similar scratch on the back of the Zappa Strat. Again, not enough there to prove provenance.

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
Correct...the individual who gave it to Zappa shouldn't have been in possession of it in the first place. It's assumed to be from a March 1967 gig because it's been confirmed that Jimi burned a sunburst Strat at that performance. BUT another Strat was sold at auction as the guitar from that performance. Again, with specious evidence.

Plus, the story kept changing. It was supposed to be the Monterey Start, but that's impossible. Then, it was said it was a Strat from Jimi's performance at the Miami Pop Festival, but it's well-established he didn't burn a guitar that day.

The only thing that maybe connects the Zappa guitar to Hendix is that there is a picture of Hendrix holding the Strat before it was burned. You can see the back of the body, and there's a long scratch on the back of it. There is what looks like a similar scratch on the back of the Zappa Strat. Again, not enough there to prove provenance.

It really wouldn't be an issue if these guitars were not selling for so much money. That's is where this is a problem lays in my opinion. Fraud is so prevalent in this world, that I am just about skeptical of everything unless you can dot all the i's and cross all the t's.

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
Whatever happened to the can of lighter fluid Jimi used at Monterey? It's well documented in the film...who has it? That should be equally collectible and may have Jimi's DNA on it as well.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
It's the one he played at the Monterey Pop Festival in '67.

So that's the guitar that channeled that awesome intro to Killing Floor.
Yeah, I'd buy it if I was a Billionaire. Millionaire doesn't quite cut it as I'd be out by too much.

kafka

Friend of Leo's
Is there anything more insane than 10 milli for a guitar? It was played by Jimi. Jimi played a sh*t-ton of guitars. Not like some guys who stuck with guitars for years and years.

Some cool history, no doubt... but that's nuts

Yeah. Jimi wasn't known for his attachment to individual instruments. He'd walk into Manny's and buy, literally, a dozen Strats. He'd have a wall of them lined up when he went on tour, and would just grab one. If one were to buy truly authentic Hendrix Strat, I guarantee you, it would mean vastly more to you than it did to him.

Now, in the 50 years since his death, occasionally someone selling a Hendrix Strat would put out a story that their particular one was special. But AFAIK, you'll never find an interview or clip, or any provenence indicating that Hendrix felt any real attachment to any individual guitar.

Last edited:

lost sailor

TDPRI Member
jimi.jpg

Better now?