Jimi Hendrix's guitar for sale

El Marin

Friend of Leo's
OH, that place

I bought my first electric guitar at Hanks in 1983... a 335 copy

And between 2012 and 2015 I went to Enterprise Studios, that chained door behind Hanks for rehearsals

nation

TDPRI Member
Doesn't gel. Look at 9.33 of the video and see the wear dot at the upper bout. Different shape and wrong spot.

EsquireBoy

Friend of Leo's
I get that, and nothing wrong with that. If you had the money, and wanted to buy it, that's your thing.

If you own it and want to sell it, and can find a buyer for 7-10 million, good on ya. Just don't try to jive me with "the energy that comes from this guitar" BS.
The way I see it is this: « the energy that comes from that guitar » is the inspiration you get from playing your idol’s guitar. It’s in your head, but in this case the guitar is what makes you unleash it.
That’s just one way amongst many other ones of getting inspired. But it happens to be the 10 million $ one :lol:

knavel

Tele-Holic
Ironically, I was in that very shop two days ago at the same time this video was released. It was my first time in Denmark Street in years because a Portuguese pilot I know is a massive Hendrix fan and was in town with his airline. He wanted to go that specific shop given it's Hendrix association.

I didn't see that Strat but I did try out the USA Epiphone Texan on the wall in the background and wasn't too excited by it.

I saw this clip after my friend went back to Lisbon. I don't know a lot about Hendrix and I was surprised he had a Strat this early with the small headstock.

My friend says there are some Italian music shop guys who claim the guitar is not Hendrix's. I have no opinion but if I were thinking of spending such money I would have the thing in a lab and every expert on the planet consulted.

Here is what my friend sent me, I make no claim one way or another but I do believe it's certainly an issue. I can't imagine that if someone were to claim a mid 60s Strat was Hendrix's for the money involved they couldn't get a relatively simple thing like the L Series serial number right.

Also I didn't see in the video that the guitar is for sale as per the topic of this thread but maybe? What struck me in the video were the Kluson looking tuners. If this were F series I would expect F tuners? But in 1965 there were all sorts of transitional features so I don't know.

Unfortunately my personal favorite Hendrix thing, the Handel Hendrix house which anyone can afford and enjoy, is closed till 2023 for a massive refurbishment to the Handel part. My wife isn't even a Jimi fan but thinks it's one of the coolest things in London.

IMG-20211204-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20211204-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20211204-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20211204-WA0001.jpg

Last edited:

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
Also I didn't see in the video that the guitar is for sale as per the topic of this thread but maybe? What struck me in the video were the Kluson looking tuners. If this were F series I would expect F tuners? But in 1965 there were all sorts of transitional features so I don't know.

The guitar actualy is for sale, it is mentioned in the video at 8:10, when it is said that it will probably go to private collection.
Paul also specifically says that it will be sold in the first comment under the video:
Screenshot_20211205-104241_YouTube.jpg

In this comment he also says that the guitar was thoroughly examined by Fender master builders.
I for sure am no expert in vintage guitars, but it seems to me if something was not correct like you wonder, they would have probably noticed that already... I dont know, just thinking out loud. This guitar was also displayed in lots of museums for everyone to see.
Also if this guitar is not Jimi's guitar, then someone else has the original one and he probably knows that 100%. I would expect that person then to claim that he has the original guitar.

Just my 2 cents.

knavel

Tele-Holic
The guitar actualy is for sale, it is mentioned in the video at 8:10, when it is said that it will probably go to private collection.
In this comment he also says that the guitar was thoroughly examined by Fender master builders.
I for sure am no expert in vintage guitars, but it seems to me if something was not correct like you wonder, they would have probably noticed that already... I dont know, just thinking out loud. This guitar was also displayed in lots of museums for everyone to see.
Also if this guitar is not Jimi's guitar, then someone else has the original one and he probably knows that 100%. I would expect that person then to claim that he has the original guitar.

Just my 2 cents.

And a good 2 cents at that. Indeed I skimmed through some of the video and certainly must have missed the comment at 8:10 and I didn't read the comments to the video. I happily stand corrected about the "for sale" aspect.

But I am also a litigator of a number of decades and part of this is questioning "experts" so I should state I am by nature inquisitive.

First, "Fender master builders" means little to me in the context at hand. They can certainly help with confirming it's a vintage Strat, if the finish is original, etc. But no one is questioning that it's a mid 60s Strat as far as I am aware. But a mid 60s custom color Strat is a --what $25K guitar?--not a $10m one. The only way to really verify it's this mid 60s Strat is through meticulous study of actual historical sources. The Italian dealers I cited above actually attempted that whether they were correct or not.

Second, I went to the V&A show if it's the one I'm thinking of. I know a curator at the V&A and could confirm this but my impression is that it was a 1967 show, not a Hendrix show and they may well have just taken the guitar on the basis of what it was represented to be, since it was just a cog in the whole production. Ditto the Handel Hendrix house. Just because one is expert on sourcing vintage stereo systems that can be seen in photos when Hendrix lived there, it doesn't mean that he or she has done or is capable of doing the sort of forensics required to authenticate not that a guitar is a 65 Strat, but that it was Hendrix's 65 Strat.

Again, I just think it's an interesting question concerning the provenance not that I agree with those who raise the questions. For instance, the fact that Heritage Auctions pulled the sale--if that itself is true--could mean anything. Standing alone it's not dispositive.

The root of any problem here is that the person who really was the most authoritative very unfortunately died in 1971 before these sorts of thing mattered; or else we may have seen a Jimi auction in recent times like with David Gilmour where provenance wasn't potentially such an issue.

Finally, one thing that strikes me as odd is if the guitar is restrung right handed, doesn't this mean having to change (or at least flip) the nut? If it were my guitar and worth millions I sure as heck wouldn't risk any breaking, touching, changing to the instrument.

archtop_fjk

Tele-Holic
For the people saying meh, this is just an old Strat, I have to wonder . . . have you lost touch with the joy and excitement that presumably led you to play guitar in the first place? (all those years ago, for a good portion of posters on this forum).

I find it difficult to understand how anyone who retains any kind of love for electric guitar and the magic of making/playing music wouldn't feel even a frisson of excitement for an opportunity to handle or play an instrument of such provenance.

Even more ironic given all the the extended discussions on the TDPRI about "mojo" and the merits of vintage instruments.

View attachment 925886

Why is Jimi playing a left-handed guitar right handed in the photo?? o_O