Jimi Hendrix's guitar for sale

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
people fawning over what is basically a bone stock tuxedo strat of it's day is kinda weird.....

if there was a distinguishing feature like his pen knife signature scratched into the front or it was the burnt one, I could understand..

would you buy an unsigned Picasso?...:twisted:

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I sort of fast-forwarded through the video. Is it up for auction now, or does a music store in London own it, and willing to sell it if a collector coughs up sufficient megabucks?

I didn’t watch this video but last time I saw this guitar it was owned by a French music shop

Edit: I’m wrong that’s a white one, I thought it was the same guitar

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
Call me a fuddy duddy, but I would not give a penny more than $300 for that guitar. Never been much of a celebrity worshiper or collector...and I sure am not a fan of "reliced" guitars, naturally or otherwise. Also don't care much for Strats.

Now if it was Roy Clark's Tele in mint condition...I might go as high as $450!

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
I remember hearing All Along The Watchtower for the first time. It was 1975. I was eight years old. That’s the song that made me take up guitar. I’d love to have something Jimi owned but the price of admission is a little steep. Too bad.

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic
Zappa posed with the burned Strat on the GP cover long ago. He fixed it up, embedded some piezos in it, used it live sometimes, & afterwards I don't know.

It's a burned Strat, but it's not the Monterey Strat. Jimi smashed it into pieces, and the only known extant piece is 1/4 of the body on display at the Experience Music Project. The one Zappa owned is a sunburst Strat that was most likely burned at a March 1967 gig. Dweezil Zappa has it today. He's put it up for auction twice, but it never drew the opening bid he was looking for.

Ebidis

Friend of Leo's
Zappa posed with the burned Strat on the GP cover long ago. He fixed it up, embedded some piezos in it, used it live sometimes, & afterwards I don't know.

Dweezil has it now. Converted back to a standard Strat setup. He plays it live sometimes.

Not the Monterey Strat. Different color, and the Monterey strat was smashed into two or 3 pieces. Also, it's whereabouts are accounted for.

It has been speculated that the Zappa Strat was from the Miami Pop Festival, but it's true provenance is questionable.

Tenderfoot

Tele-Afflicted
For that kind of money, I would insist that Jimmy's DNA be verified to still exist on the guitar. Given the melodramatics of the video, they should have had a sound track of Jimmy playing Voodoo Child playing in the background.

Gibson

Friend of Leo's
For the people saying meh, this is just an old Strat, I have to wonder . . . have you lost touch with the joy and excitement that presumably led you to play guitar in the first place? (all those years ago, for a good portion of posters on this forum).

I find it difficult to understand how anyone who retains any kind of love for electric guitar and the magic of making/playing music wouldn't feel even a frisson of excitement for an opportunity to handle or play an instrument of such provenance.

Even more ironic given all the the extended discussions on the TDPRI about "mojo" and the merits of vintage instruments.

iu-10.jpeg

Sparky472

Tele-Afflicted
For the people saying meh, this is just an old Strat, I have to wonder . . . have you lost touch with the joy and excitement that presumably led you to play guitar in the first place? (all those years ago, for a good portion of posters on this forum).

I find it difficult to understand how anyone who retains any kind of love for electric guitar and the magic of making/playing music wouldn't feel even a frisson of excitement for an opportunity to handle or play an instrument of such provenance.

Even more ironic given all the the extended discussions on the TDPRI about "mojo" and the merits of vintage instruments.

View attachment 925886

it’s for nothing to do with the guitar. It’s the money.

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's

It wasn't the prospect of owning a celebrity's guitar that generated the excitement, let me tell you...

Well, you're just star-struck. Most of the rest of us are at least a little more realistic...at least we don't let idol-worship empty our bank accounts.

View attachment 925886
"Mojo" is indescribable, at least by me, but it is tangible. A player doesn't put mojo into a guitar simply by owning or playing it, unless his DNA has spawned a kind of bacterial growth or mold in the wood that favorably changes the tone over time...OR, he modified the guitar that favorably changed the tone....BUT, even then, it's near- impossible to change the basic character of anything - living, animate, or inanimate once it's cast from the mold/womb/assembly line.

In other words, this guitar for this kind of money is sucker-bait...or dentist-bait...

Ebidis

Friend of Leo's

View attachment 925886

It's not that I wouldn't like to play that guitar, I would. To me, it's the fact that people fetishize and worship a guitar just because it belonged to a certain person, or is of a certain "vintage".

Jimi obviously did not worship his guitars, he went through them like potato chips.

I love guitars as much as anyone here. I just think that ten million dollars is way beyond crazy money for any guitar, and the reverence that is shown in the video is just outright odd to me. It has now ceased to be a guitar, and has become something akin to a holy relic.

GoldDeluxe5E3

Tele-Afflicted
It's not that I wouldn't like to play that guitar, I would. To me, it's the fact that people fetishize and worship a guitar just because it belonged to a certain person, or is of a certain "vintage".

Jimi obviously did not worship his guitars, he went through them like potato chips.
Absolutely. Well said.

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
The fact that there are people that can throw around $7~10 million, or others who can throw around $7~10 billion, on stuff like this is a sad, sad commentary on where we now are as a society.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for private property and people being able to own whatever they can afford . . . I’m just sad that so many of these folks seem to choose to spend such massive sums on such essentially unimportant items as a pure vanity project rather than use to the funds in a more responsible fashion. Narcissism at its finest.