1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jimi Hendrix

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Harry K, Dec 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Harry K

Harry K TDPRI Member

hey all!
    I’m sure this has already been covered, but I haven’t found it. Anyway, what pedals, amp setting, pickup/tone selections would one use to get a killer Hendrix tone?

2. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Oh, you've obviously never heard of Instant Hendrix drink. It's just a powder you pour in a glass, add water and stir. Drink it down and voila........instant Hendrix tone. No need for any type of gear. Mind you, your brain may never be the same again, if you even live, but that's the risk to sound like Hendrix.

Honestly, I don't know if there any easy way to copy Hendrix tone. I don't think anyone can really sound like him without being able to play like him.

But I will leave this to the Hendrix experts. The obvious requirements are a strat, Marshall and Wah, but maybe there is a way to get close to his sound with simpler gear.

I think there was another thread recently about what gear he used. It might be a flanger IIRC.

Try the search bar.

3. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

As an old Hendrix fan ground "0" would be having a Stratocaster. Next would be studying his playing style to break down how be made some of his famous licks and sound.

As one that spent many hours doing that in my younger years now believe it's for more important just being yourself musically as the Lord made you. Sure, incorporate Some Hendrix stuff in your style, but most importantly be yourself. Platefire

4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I agree. I don't understand all the SRV clones, that are basically human jukeboxes. The greatest compliment I ever got was one time in my car with a friend I put in a cassette and he said "That's you. I can tell by the style." All my favorite players have a unique style that's recognizable five seconds into a song. And that's what I have always attempted in my own playing. Learn from your influences, but don't try to mimic them outright.

Matt G, RoyBGood and Flaneur like this.
  5. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Hmmmmm I saw Jimi three times, up close and personal.

He always used a Strat, Arbitor Fuzz Face, Vox Wha Pedal, Marshall Amps, usually 100 watt stacks but I did see him once using a 50 watt head. He also once used that painted Gibson Flying V and when he did smash guitars it was 2 sunburst Mustangs and 1 Strat.

The first time I saw him (The Music Carousel Framingham Ma) he did Little Wing so beautifully I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Gary

6. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Matt G, Crobbins and Gibson like this.
  7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Hmm, I don't think Hendrix would've had a "search bar" back in the day. Whammy maybe... :twisted:

To the OP: I'd start with a Strat, and then spend at least three years working on his unique blended chordal approach to rhythm and lead. Once you get that going decent enough so yer dog don't laugh at you, add a vibe pedal, and voila! Magic.

Then for his lead work, which frankly is the easier part, add in fuzz. The Dunlop FF Mini Hendrix version sounds real nice, and is not very expensive. But don't start with that. If you do, you'll miss what makes it all sound like Hendrix.

matrix and awasson like this.
  8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Here's a great example of what I mean:

Badger06 and Baldfatguy like this.
  9. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

A few years ago i got to work with an engineer who did sound for Hendrix both times he was in San Antonio:
    Jimi had eight Marshall stacks, the bass player four.
    Three mics: one on the kick, one on the snare and Jimi's vocal mic.
    Sorry, didn't mention pedals but i do remember reading about the importance of the Fuzz Face 30+ years ago.

11. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Afflicted

The only was to sound like Hendrix was to be the man....it's a lot of money wasted chasing your tail.

SonsOfMoog, Anode100 and nojazzhere like this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

WRT the gear you need to "get a killer Hendrix tone", IME it's very difficult to play Hendrix licks on a Strat neck pickup through a clean amp and not get an obvious Hendrix sound.
    You could fail by using a high gain amp sound, but the basic starting point for his gear based sound is a Strat neck pickup through a clean amp.

Actually a lot of his studio clean sounds were through a Twin Reverb, so a Marshall is not required.

The rest is well covered above AFAIK.
    The gear was not special to him, it's his playing that made him sound different.

To my listening experience, and I've spent a lot of time listening to Hendrix, he played clean an awful lot, and only added screaming FF gain for certain sections.

SRV OTOH used a much dirtier sound more of the time, which kind of differentiates the two, even though SRV did cop a lot of close duplication.
    So don't think the SRV version of Hendrix when trying to dial in a nice full clean Strat neck pickup tone.

Work on the technique and feel instead of buying special gear.

Edit: No Texas/ Hot/ Blues Strat pickups either. Low wind clean clear pickups are correct.

13. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

This ^ ^ ^

I mean his phrasing and chord inversions are the magic but for the instant Hendrixy vibe, for me it’s a riff full of double stops on the neck pickup into a clean amp.

14. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Not to hijack this thread, but it sounds like you have some amazing anecdotes behind your reply. I hope you might be persuaded to share them with the forum someday?

rze99 likes this.
  15. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Hendrix sounded about the same with his first DanElectro as he did in latter days.

Zeonoid likes this.
  16. Harry K

Harry K TDPRI Member

He sounds just like himself when he played a Gibson in Sweden. Anyway to get that tone from a tele, or is is essential to have a strat?

17. ebb soul

I honesty think thou a Strat would help any guitar with relatively weak or at least tall thin pickups should get close.
    He played teles some and likely rolled some tone down.

18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

remember other than the equipment listed by Gary in Boston is the fact his tone was in his hands not in his effects , he used minimal gear cranked very loud, but because of his huge hands he was able to choke chords using alternate hand positions , this had nothing to do with his effects or amp settings it had to do with style and technique, he experimented constantly even to the unorthodox (he has Eddy Kramer place a 10"speaker in a vat of water to sound like he was playing under water ,it didnt work, he was a master at playing the tracks backwards and played lead remembering where he was in a tune even in reverse , so to answer the question of the tone it was not so much the marshall plexi's or the strat ( but he did do his own set ups before each show including rebending the vibrato arm) it was the sum of all the parts not just a tone acheieved .
    a prime example of this is listen to Voodoo chile , both by Hendrix and immediately by SRV no where near the same but damn fine tunes by both!

19. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

I think a lot his of tone, style, approach and capabilities, etc, were largely attributable to those mutantly long fingers! Us mere mortals can only dream of being able to bar two or even three strings with the thumb and still have enough finger length to span ten to twelve frets for licks! Being able to naturally pull of that kind of stuff could change one's whole perspective of the fingerboard. I mean, c'mon, being able to play your own chord rhythms while soloing on top of them at the same time? HOLY CRAPOLA!

And yepper, I'll bet he still sounded like Jimi, on any guitar he picked up and plugged into any amp!

Stubby Fingered,
    Gene

20. ebb soul

Sources claim a Pignose in the studio, but in any case I think of his tone largley in studio terms and it certainly did not sound like someone relying on the 'advantages' a vol/ master vol amp has.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.