1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Jim Campilongo" spec 59 Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by el_extranjero, Sep 5, 2008.

1. el_extranjero

el_extranjero Tele-Holic

I just got word from Jim Campilongo, who recently got a Fender endorsement, that he is expecting a replica of his 59 Tele from Fender. I've included the specs as he sent me below. I would be interested in one if they're made. I personally would rather see one in the "Muddy Waters" price range rather than the "Merle Haggard" price range, but in either case it would be nice to see a run of them. Hell, Avril Lavigne has a signature Tele!!! Jim CERTAINLY deserves one!!! :D

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  2. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Groovy! Jim desearves a sig.

3. teleflyer

teleflyer Tele-Meister

Oh, yes

a Campilongo Sig would be somethin'....

well, thinking about it, it is a MUST..

well, am pretty sure it's gonna happen someday at a theatre near all of us....

it's gonna happen friends...

it just has to happen....

4. mkern

mkern Tele-Meister

It is great news and what's even more cool is that Jim Campilongo himself announced it in a thread started last weekend by a new member TMOCK.

5. Jim Campilongo

Jim Campilongo Tele-Meister

Thanks you guys!

Almost three months ago - when I was in LA playing with Martha Wainwright, I visited Fender Custom Shop with my '59.

David Brown, Fender luthier measured every nook and cranny with tools I didn't even know existed. Putty, weird radius measuring tools and more! It was a thrill to see an artist like David Brown work. He's also a Tele fanatic and a really nice guy.

So, now a '59 model being made for me by Fender and I should have it next week.

it will have the same small neck my tele has, the identical *back*neck wear (the fingerboard is nice & new), the same pick up output with some improvements like...a bridge plate with the "lip" cut off. This way, there is better access for the picking hand to lay into the low strings. I always hit the darn chrome! The headstock will have a good generous dip for behind the nut bending. It will also have a modern style jack that I personally find a bit more stable. It will be grounded to the max too, with overkill shielding features.

All that said, basically it's basic! Hopefully it will be a great toploader tele that's easy for me to play.

I'll give a review next week when I play it.

6. teleburst

teleburst TDPRI Member

Congrats on the signature model, Jim.

I've always wondered how stuff like this works. Did they come to you asking to make a sig. model or did you go to them?

7. Jim Campilongo

Well, it's not a signature model yet, but who knows, they may make a limited run.

I think the "custom" started as during a conversation I had with Shane Nicholas/Fender Amp division. He basically hooked me up with David Brown.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  8. teleburst

teleburst TDPRI Member

Either way, that's got to be a really cool feeling to have them make a guitar for you to your specifications.

9. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Well congrats to you Jim. You made it. ;)

10. teleflyer

teleflyer Tele-Meister

"basically it's basic"...

Jim, thanks so much for sharing this with us...

kind of exciting to follow such a venture...

for folks like me who are admirers of your art

I also like the "basics"..the specs you share with us on the one hand are "basic" in their reduction to "pure Tele", but that "pure, basic 59 Tele" in itself again is highly sophisticated..

back to "basics" back to "tone" that is what Teles always have been for me, and want to say, your unique "rediscovery" of "tone" is a wonderful tribute to the "very basic true electric guitar" a Tele is..

less is more..

11. Telehackster

Telehackster Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations on the endorsement and the new guitar, Jim. As others have pointed, these are well deserved.

I'm looking forward to reading your review of the new guitar.

12. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats on the new Tele, Jim!

I hope they've built in the correct amount of "dissonance!" :)

13. Jim Campilongo

I asked them - but you know how it goes, they never put in enough! :lol:

14. robt57

Did they borrow your fingers for the duration? :)

15. benadrian

benadrian Tele-Meister

Will it have the chipped pickguard?

Ben

16. Jim Campilongo

I played my new Custom Shop Tele yesterday during a 6 hour rehearsal. My role was as a sideman and I really couldn't "go crazy". I'll have some more info after I play the Custom Shop Tele in my band at the 55 Bar tonight, and then the Living Room on Monday.

Basically -I love it.

Anyway - It's *THE* lightest Tele I've ever played - The guitar with the strap, hangs comfortably and is very balanced. The neck points up naturally. All the strings stayed very in tune, and the intonation was great.

It has a rich, wooden sound with all the bass I want.

The neck feels like home. Nothing I attempt to play on the Custom seems difficult or awkward. It's so close to my '59 neck, it's almost weird.

One can't really tell from the photo, but my 59 has deep "holes" that my fingers get "stuck" in sometimes. It's a pleasure to play a new "glassy" neck with the same easy feel as my old neck.

Love the "cutaway bridge". On the bass strings, I always seem to pick the the chrome lip, so my "guitar life" just became easier.

Sorry the pictures aren't a little better quality ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  17. collinsman

collinsman Tele-Afflicted

Nice axe ! Send up some sounds clips if you can - enjoy.

18. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the pics, dig that wall of princetons.

19. robt57

Yea, I'd love to hear exactly what "rich, wooden sound with all the bass I want" constitutes. Especially as it applies to Jim's interpretation. ;)

20. Telehackster

Telehackster Tele-Afflicted

That is a lovely guitar, Jim, and I suspect we're going to be seeinga lot of it! I'm glad they made this one for you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.