Jigs, fixtures, and tools oh my!

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by RogerC, Dec 4, 2018.

1. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I know we've had this kinda thread here before, but I couldn't find it anywhere, so I thought I'd start it again since the holidays are upon us, and I know we're all looking for what to put on our Christmas lists :D.

So what are your favorite jigs or fixtures? Is it one you've built or one you'd like to have? How about tools? Is there a tool you've found indispensable or would like to have for a particular job?

Since I won't be doing any building during the winter, I want to take that time to outfit my shop with things that will help my processes be more efficient and precise, and I figured this would be a great group to get some ideas from!

Royal Tele likes this.
  2. RogerC

I should start, I guess...

I've already built a Scheltema neck jig, but it's cobbled together from plywood, so I'm going to invest in having it made from 3/4" aluminum. I've got a local machine shop who can take care of it for me. I'll be meeting with them on Friday to discuss the project. I'm really looking forward to it.

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

It would be hard to top those aluminum radius beams and an arbor press.

4. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I like these kinds of threads :)

After pulling this router sled together almost two years ago the base has warped/swelled in my damp garage, and in use it’s too short to route a full length neck.

upload_2018-12-4_17-30-7.jpeg

The plan is to get a nice big chunky worktop for the base and two new 1000mm rails to replace the 600mm rails.

So basically... start again!

5. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

And I’d like to make the leap into building a pickup winder; trying to source reasonably priced Jag pickups in the UK (non fender) is tricky - if I can wind my own, problem solved!

telemnemonics and RogerC like this.
  6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted

I need a table-saw...but that's an expense that will be put off until after I retire. Probably will get a Sawstop.

My brother just gave me his Stanley 45 multi-plane. It is dusty & dirty but is all there. They're horrific to set up but if you need to make that special cut, there it is.

RogerC likes this.
  7. lumberjim

lumberjim TDPRI Member

I made a truss rod neck jig on Sunday. Cost about $120 all in. The rail clamps are from Lowe's, $40 ea. Made by BORA. They take a 1/4" bolt head.
    IMG_20181202_154200.jpeg

One $22 Aztec board for rails (slippery smooth and straight edged)...4 brackets that fit over the first nut, and vinyl wing nuts, washers all around. Adjusts both directions, and clamps onto whatever board you want for the right height.

IMG_20181202_154330.jpeg

Use short 1/4 x 20 bolts as stops to make sure I stay inside the end of the line. IMG_20181202_195848.jpeg

IMG_20181202_181954.jpeg

Worked out well.

Barncaster and telestratosonic like this.
  8. lumberjim

lumberjim TDPRI Member

Only 4 pics at a time I guess IMG_20181202_203228.jpeg

Attached Files:

9. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I wish Santa would bring me Dust Collection and Air purification. The current set up isn't cutting :D it. Although another Rigid shop vac would be o.k. maybe one of those WEN air things :lol: too

Barncaster, rdwhitti, moosie and 2 others like this.
  10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fun thread!

The best jig or fixture I have in my shop is my new Roubo style workbench. It's just a top at this point, still waiting on leg vise hardware to complete the base. But the tail vise is all there, and after using it for a month, I have no idea how I ever got anything done before this.

20181205_161612.jpg

I just built a straight-edge / taper sled for my TS the other day. 3/4" Baltic, hickory runner, and maple scraps for the clamp bases. It's already come in handy to square up some cutting boards I'm making for XMAS gifts. It's long enough to take a 5' length of stock, from 1.5" to 12.5" wide. The Rockler T-tracks are much smoother than the cheap ones I've been using.

20181205_161502.jpg

PS: I wish Santa would bring me a 3 HP cabinet saw, 8" spiral head jointer, and proper dust collection. My chances are about nil, but at least I put in the request. I'll be printing this page, and burning it in the fireplace, so Santa will see the smoke. (That's how my parents told me it worked...) :lol:

11. lumberjim

lumberjim TDPRI Member

Think Santa reads this forum? I have a huge list I could post! Pretty sure I'm on the nice list again this year....

SacDAve likes this.
  12. photondev

photondev Tele-Holic

I made a mini tabletop workbench that has proved to be very useful. It is portable and can be clamped anywhere. Here is a photo. I will have better photos soon

[​IMG]

moosie and RogerC like this.
  13. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sweet.

I could see using something like this. My guitar bench (fretwork, setups), is fairly high, around 40". I'm 6'1", and I still get a sore back working for any length of time. So, I made a 12x9 platform, 4" high, by cutting down an old wood wine box. Glued padding to it, and I find myself using it constantly.

My woodworking bench is only 34" high, which is my ideal height for hand planing, but doing any close work is literally a pain. I'm planning to build a Moxon style vise for raised-height vertical clamping, but now I'm thinking of incorporating a flat surface, too. Thanks! :)

telemnemonics and photondev like this.
  14. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Barncaster, RogerC and LeftFinger like this.
  15. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

I use that clamp in the tracks on my drill press table
    [​IMG]

16. RogerC

I’m going to work on a storage solution for my soldering gear this weekend. Right now I’ve got all my wire and solder on my pegboard, and my station, lamp, helping hands, etc are all in a storage box that gets put on my top storage shelf. It’s really not very efficient. I’ve got a decent idea in my head and Hope to have it all cobbled together before Monday.

Pictures to come...

17. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

One of the best things I ever bought for my soldering station was a fume extraction fan. Highly recommended especially if you use solder with lead content.
    Rob

18. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Attached Files:

RogerC likes this.
  19. RogerC

That's pretty nice, Dave!

My setup is going to be a drawer mounted under my bench, so it'll be within easy reach.

SacDAve likes this.
  20. RogerC

I finally finished up my soldering drawer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I screwed the iron holder to the base so that it doesn't move around when removing/replacing the iron.

[​IMG]

And I elevated the front of the control unit for easier use.

[​IMG]

And blocked in the back so it doesn't move around.

[​IMG]

And created some sheet storage for my schematics.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.