JHS Double Barrel - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by peterbilt1101, Dec 5, 2013.

1. luckett

luckett Banned

http://www.deviever.com/fx/oldforum/viewtopic.php?f=192&t=13311

The denial runs strong in this thread.

2. Scantron08

Scantron08 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. Finally, direct proof. Still not quite as damning as the natives have made it sound - at least on the business interference issue - more like defending himself, though he does clearly claim it's an original circuit. Thanks again.

3. luckett

luckett Banned

Devi claimed that she had dealer(s) drop her products immediately after receiving that email.

4. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

Snowwizzard, congrats on the baby!

Finally?? this was linked to in the threads from TDPRI that I linked on the first page of this thread...

this is why i got annoyed with claims of "hearsay" etc did you read those threads and links? admittedly it was a lot of info to go through, but the info was there.

5. Scantron08

Yes, finally. I've been participating in this thread for several days now, if you look. I have read all posts, but maybe I somehow missed the link. All I saw were references to other fora, cites to vids and other threads which are now removed, and unreachable (for me) links to freestompboxes. Sorry if I missed it, but posting it again wasn't so terrible. Thanks again.

6. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

that one was on a link (actually a couple) that you don't need to sign up for, however, yes, there are many pages on this thread and on the linked threads, and on the links on those threads too so fair enough

7. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

Having read most of the forums linked and others I googled on my own, the actual email from Josh was the thing I couldn't find. It was lauded to but never provided. Those who did mention it made it sound like Josh ripped Devi left right and center... The real email is honestly a satisfying let down. It's a professional email, who doesn't rip anyone, just refute a claim.

Here's a thought no one brings up... No one is ripping on Pro Guitar shop and others who would kind of be complicit in all this if it were all true... Just saying

8. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

No, it's a legally astitute email naming no names. Devi's products were dropped by a number of her vendors thru the lies he told in that email. How is that satisfying??

As has been said, there is likely no amount of anything that would convince you that the guy claimed that a design (multiple designs in fact) were his own original work, when in fact they weren't, then actively attempted to disrupt anothers business.

Logical fallacy, just because we don't talk about pro guitar shop in this discussion, doesn't mean we don't disapprove of it, this discussion is about what JHS gets up to specifically, you could also be said to be diverting the argument.

This whole thing has become semantics and technicalities. it's quite sad really when it should should be really easy.

9. Scantron08

I think what Snowwizard simply means, and I agree, is that the substance of the email does not at all say, "whatever you do, please stop doing business with Devi Ever for the following reasons:___________." He's not really going beyond that, as I read his post. If some people stopped doing business with her because of that (more hearsay with no direct proof I can find here), then sure, that sucks. Perhaps JHS is to blame, and if so, then that is one thing - and if not, then that's another. But we need proof. Maybe it is semantics to some, but if we're going to be advising masses not to do business with JHS based on certain history, then let's at least get the history right and supported by real proof.

I'll say again I'm not blindly supporting JHS, as I really don't care, to be honest, but yes, I believe in the fair trial, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

10. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

Yeah, basically that.

Tekbow, that's all well and good, but if someone posts about PGS people don't jump all over that thread, also, again if it's all true, who does more to hurt devi's business (other than devi herself or embezzling) PGS or JHS? A lot of folks look for Andy's demos for a thumbs up or down on gear...

The logical inconsistency is to jump all over on company and not the other...

11. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Ha! Andy has never given a thumbs down review.

12. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Andy is a salesperson... He wants to sell you things. You will never see a thumbs down. Ever. Plus, he uses 10 grand in recording gear to sell a 200 dollar pedal. It will always sound good, because it not a review - its a sales presentation! :lol:

Trusting Andy is like trusting the media. He'd sell his mother for enough clams. ;)

13. luckett

luckett Banned

Andy loves Devi Ever pedals.

14. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

I didn't write that to rip on Andy. Only point out a logical inconsistency of the anti-JHS CROWD.

PGS (the ownership. Not Andy who's just doing his job)

Other dealers, who got that email, especially if they dropped devi would all be more responsible than JHS...

15. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

Of course he did... Cause PGS was selling them.

I had a local dealer who loved to rip on Boss pedals left and right... Until he became a dealer :)

16. JHVH!

JHVH! Banned

YOUR AD HERE

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  17. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

When has "trial by internet" ever been wrong?

18. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

Not when that other company is suddenly brought into the discussion in order to set a so called standard for reaction to the first company, when there's no data on what peoples reaction generally is (although there is now, people don't like them). But its still irrelevant because they're not under discussion That's called a Red Herring. another logical fallacy.. it's like someone coming under criticism for messing up a job, then grassing someone else up to throw the light off himself or his supporters doing the same. That other person may or may not be guilty too, but thats not the present issue and can be dealt with separately.

while we're at it, calling us Bullies is a Strawman (Misrepresentation of an opponents position with the intention of attacking that position instead of the actual issue), Bullies irrationally and without reason victmise others. We are not doing that, we (bullies/haters) are not Jealous of JHS/dislike him irrationally/etc etc. We see him as a dishonest businessman that we would like to warn others not to waste their money on when they could have the same item cheaper and potentially better made. the "the better made" thing comes from the amount of threads I've seen on his not very good after sales repairs. It's also an ad hominem fallacy to call us bullies because you're attempting to cast aspersions on your opponents character and attack that ("anti JHS haters") rather than addressing the issue at hand.

semantics and technicalities...

which while we're on the subject of, i notice you tend to only cite and debate particular parts of my posts and not those parts dealing with the fact the guy was caught out in a barefaced lie to his dealers. Cherry picking?

I haven't seen many threads on PGS? plus they're a US retailer, I'm not that likely to buy from them, a pedal from a US builder is a different story.

and i don't think I'm quoting out of context here..

That, right there, is a lie. what part of that isn't easy to understand.

This email caused dealers to drop Devis pedals.

what part of that is not easy to understand.

like i said, technicalities and semantics, but those boil away for me in the face of simple things like the above.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  19. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

^This!^

I have personally tried to make it clear that IMO, there's nothing constructive to being part of 'the hater's guild,' or whatever one wishes to refer to it as.

I am certain that there are plenty of actual malicious haters on any given message board.

In the case here, I really think we are trying to warn others. Or at a bare minimum to kind of fill them in on what could be rather relevant info.

The problem becomes an interpretation of outright criticism that is incorrectly viewed as "hating."

I've also made it clear that since JHS and other pedal companies are like the current 'Justin Biebers of the pedal biz' that the average consumer will never know of realities that lie below that very shallow surface. Justin Bieber has become a common name to even folks who don't listen to his stuff. JHS pedals and quite a few other companies of present times are the same way - endless cyclical discussion that drown out what IMO can be representative of other builders who are more innovative, who are there but must consumers don't know about them.

...So instead of a thread about "NPD - RoG Umble from OLC!" - we get hundreds of the 'same old same old' ones. It's not to say that discussion is forbidden of all the threads on the Eternity, Les Lius, Box of Rock, Jan Ray, Jetter stuff, Xotic EP Booster, etc. are to be ruled out, but it seems IME to be the same wheel spinning 'round and round, endlessly.

Since this is a forum where we can actually discuss, the potential lies within to get a consumer off the teat of the highly marketed wares and maybe steered in the direction that will do the job better, and maybe even at a lower cost. At the very least, you might just be plugged into the actual innovator to investigate what they have to offer, as opposed to those who are riding coattails, whatever their methods may be for either omitting the details or being outright insincere/untruthful/hurtful to competitors and/or originators/innovators.

20. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

That might be the greatest insult ever. :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.