JHS Double Barrel - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by peterbilt1101, Dec 5, 2013.

1. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

Had some money to burn, so of course I bought another pedal. A Double Barrel to be exact. Haven't had much of a chance to really put it through its paces, but I figured I'd get a thread started. Initially, I really do like it, but I wonder if it is gonna stick around mainly because it sounds quite a lot like what I already have. I will say, though, that it is unbelievably amp-like and sounds incredible. Any love from fellow TDPRIers?

2. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

well.. from a lot of the more savvy guys, not so much love, see here and scroll down:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/446292-dirt-box.html

i did a quick rant on what the issue with JHS is..

In summary, he charges way too much when you could get the same or similar elsewhere better made and cheaper, and outright steal others original designs, then has the cheek to try and damage their businesses when they call him on it. Also hides behind the Jesus Gambit a lot.

Stuff used to be poorly built, not sure about now, but not the kind of business I'd support.

Basically run a search on this forum for JHS in this forum and you should quickly get an idea

3. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

Ok elaborate please. These are strong claims. A lot of pedals out there are based off of tube screamers, big muffs, rats, etc. Why is JHS worse? And it don't see anything about the Christian thing...

4. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

6. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

I'd like to see some of this in JHS's own words. Did I miss it, or is it just people claiming he's a phony?

7. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

hmm.. A guy like that isn't going to admit to stealing other peoples stuff, or charging too much or any of the other things he's done.. there were plenty of links on those 2 threads with emails he sent to devi's distributers etc etc

The circuits that've have been traced by the DIY forums speak for themselves

Circuits don't lie.. most of his have been traced and they're not "years of R&D", they're copies that he's telling people are original work..

JHS doesn't come near here because we don't fall for it like they do on TGP.

IF all the links etc in those 2 threads aren't enough to demonstrate what that company and man are to you then nothings going to be.

The double barrel is a TS and a Marchall bluesbreaker clone stuck together that cost $315. Now in the uk thats not horrific because of the exchange rate, but in the states, thats a lot of money.

8. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

I actually should apologise.. I didn't read your post thru properly.. just saw "JHS" and "thoughts on", and went into "you really need to stay away from this guy" mode..

Hadn't realised you already bought it.. had I, i would not have been as blunt as i was, bit of a d**k move.. Sorry about that..

I just can't in all good conscience support a builder like that and i try to steer others away from him.

9. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

It's ok. I did buy it, but absolutely did not pay retail and I also have the option of returning it for a full refund within two weeks if I so choose. There are no dealers locally, so I figured I'd order it, give it a go, and see what I thought. It'll take a good long while to read through all this. And I'll put straight up with a TS808 and some Wampler dirt boxes before I make the call. To be continued, I suppose.

10. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

And note that when you read those links you basically have one vendor criticizing another vendor's products there...so just FYI.

11. TheSmokingMan

TheSmokingMan Banned

Every time I see this pedal come up I think about even at full retail a Mooer blues crab and green mile is what? $176ish. I'm sure you can find a cheaper tube screamer clone to pair with the blues crab and still come in under $150.

12. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

People copy tube screamers, fuzz faces, and big muffs all day long and charge beau coup bucks for them so I don't have too much of a problem with that. I knew I was getting a blues breaker and a tube screamer with the DB. The TS808 could definitely be better and if jhs is the answer then great. If not, I'll send it back and I'll live.

If he truly is ripping off little guys then that's a bigger deal to me. Circuits don't lie. I'm an engineer so I know how unbelievably impossible it is for jhs to mysteriously wind up with the exact same circuit as Devi if one were truly blind to the other. I'll give this a couple days and see how it plays out.

13. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

and the ROG stuff, and it's not the cloning of old fuzzes etc, it cloning them and calling them original work.

14. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

Initial thoughts. First off, the DB is not a bad pedal at all. The MG side could have a little more gain for my liking, but I'm being nit picky. I a/b'ed the TS side with a real ibanez 808. I think the DB sounds better. It has more bass, way more usable gain, but still obviously has the honky midrange you'd expect.

Am I likely to keep it? Probably not. And the reason for that is because it's not noticeably better than what I have. I'll keep messing with it for a while, but I'll probably end up sending her back. However, I would definitely recommend this to people who were looking for something like this. Does the jimi/Stevie thing pretty dang well.

Not gonna slander anyone out here. I'm sure JHS is a fine person and I do like this pedal.

15. luckett

luckett Banned

And stealing the intellectual property of other companies, which he did by copying the PCB layout from madbean and using it for the angry charlie and sweet tea.

16. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

Covered that;)

17. JHVH!

JHVH! Banned

Well, we can reduce the argument to the over simplification
    of it simply being one vendor against another. But here are some other
    facts that can be verified by those willing to make the effort.

1) What he did to Devi Ever is something no one would want done to them.
    People still don't like what Dano did to Paul Cochrane or Mike Fuller.

1) Something similar was done to Brian of Madbean. Brian works hard on his layouts. It takes real effort to make a layout of the sizes he does. His *EXACT* layouts were pilfered. And Brian is hardly a vendor. He makes very little money from what he does. Probably enough to cover having his boards fabricated. He has a full time job to cover his bills, rent, etc. Taking his layouts is pretty crappy, especially when you consider there is software that will generate a layout for you. I can only assume Mr. JHS is just profoundly lazy.

3) What he charges is unjustifiable. He makes Wampler look like Dano Fab pedals, in terms of price. Wampler has far better construction, so don't misunderstand my intent.

I really feel it's not stretching the truth to say purchasing or not purchasing
    a JHS pedal is a matter of ethics and conscience.

18. luckett

luckett Banned

It should be repeated many, many times for all to enjoy! :D

19. JHVH!

JHVH! Banned

Yep. Brian doesn't know me from Adam, yet he's done several kind favors for me.

20. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I owe him big time for that Mutron III pcb, among others!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.