JHS Charlie Brown?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by b2187101, Mar 3, 2015.

1. b2187101

b2187101 Tele-Meister

Started looking at pedals... Saw a video review of a JHS Morning Glory, and to be honest, I'd never heard of JHS pedals ever. Started watching more videos and now am thinking that the JHS Charlie Brown is maybe what I want.

Any love for Charlie Brown?

2. luckett

luckett Banned

Devi Ever hates Charlie Brown. :lol:

3. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

The charlie brown is a bsiab clone of which there are many cheaper alternatives

4. b2187101

b2187101 Tele-Meister

ICTRock… I did not know that. What are some of the cheaper clones? OCD?

5. luckett

luckett Banned

cmatmods brownie is a BSIAB.

6. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

search ebay or reverb for bsiab2

Here's a partial list of JHS stuff and what it is either directly or at its core. I post this with no real agenda other than information. JHS isn't any different than most other pedal companies when it comes to copying.

4 Wheeler Bass Fuzz - Zvex Wooly Mammoth
    All American - Proco Rat w/ popular tone mod (which variant on either?)
    Angry Charlie - MI Audio Crunch Box
    Astro Mess - Devi Ever Hyperion
    Bunrunner - Devi Ever Hyperion / Tone Bender (which tonebender?)
    Charlie Brown - Brown Sound In A Box diy circuit from general guitar gadgets
    Mini Foot - Bazz Fuss diy circuit
    Morning Glory - Marshall blues breaker
    Mr. Magic - Zvex Super Hard On
    Sweet Tea - MI Audio Crunch Box / Tube Screamer (which TS?)
    Superbolt - RunOffGroove Supreaux
    Panther/Panther cub - DMM
    Moonshine - Tubescreamer
    Pulp N Peel - Orange Squeezer
    Pollinator - Fuzz Face
    Mini Bomb - Escobedo Duende JFET

7. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Abandon thread! :lol:

[​IMG]

8. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

too out on front street?
    zvex likes the SHO boost and fuzz face, lovepedal and emerson love the electra distortion, and the rest are a hodgepodge of prior work. there just happens to be a more convenient list for JHS and Mooer stuff.

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Is that the pedal when you go to stomp on it, Lucy pulls it out from under your foot?

fatcat likes this.
  10. b2187101

b2187101 Tele-Meister

Good one Paul in Colorado...

11. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I think it's been revealed that it's actually pretty similar to the Vex Distortron, which is a simplified BOR. Apparently, there's 3 mosFETs instead of 4 jFETs.

Looks like the Distortron starts at $80-$90 used on Reverb.com. Or maybe more accurately - ends there, with a starting price around $150.

There's a CB on Reverb for $150, too. I guess it comes down to if you want the Distortron's subs and gain toggles, or the CB's presence control.

12. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

So that makes it a MOSFET bsiab instead of a jfet bsiab ...

13. 11 Gauge

It is somewhat unbelievable that Vex basically took the BSIABII and simply subbed in mosFETs in place of the jFET mu amps. All of the interstage components are the same, the tone circuit is identical, and so are the dual first-order lowpass filters at the output.

So I suppose what is completely believable is that nothing was altered to specifically work with the mosFETs, because they don't constitute a direct replacement for the mu amps. But for those who think a FET is a FET and a transistor is a transistor, it's nothing to be concerned about.

The SHO was clever given its simplicity, IMO. Using it as a building block for anything beyond the Super Duper is IMO really kind of...funny. I'm trying to imagine if EHX did the same thing with the Big Muff's clipping stage - just chain more or less of them together like Lego blocks to make different boosters, ODs, or "beyond the Muff" distortions. Orman was clever enough to come up with a "Muffer" booster 15 years ago.

[​IMG]

14. RyanJH

RyanJH Tele-Meister

Credit where credit is due...he ripped off the input section of a recording console by Mr. Rupert Neve. I believe the only thing he did besides adjusting for impedance was to change the rotary resistor selector on the console to a potentiometer. Didn't even bother to fix the crackle...which is quite simple.

-Ryan

15. 11 Gauge

Actually, it was some sort of "standard application snippet" from the transistor manufacturer, going back to the 70's (IIRC).

So Mr. Neve has nothing to do with it, at all. It's just another ruse by Vex, apparently.

You can't really "fix the crackle" and get the even-order harmonic content, actually. Someone did more in-depth analysis, and discovered that it wasn't an issue of DC in the signal path, but is actually the transistor "re-settling" as the pot is turned.

...There is a DIY project called "Crackle Not Okay" that DOES fix the issue, by changing the gain adjustment to be a "pre-gain" device. I'd argue that it is indeed an actual fix, but there are some who would probably say that it's not the same as the SHO.

Anyway - the SHO has nothing to do with a Neve console, and its design was so crude that Vex didn't even bother with a protection diode on the input of the first ones he made. The metal oxide layers in a mosFET are very thin and susceptible to damage from even something like static, so the transistors in the early SHOs were regularly getting fried.

...There is NO WAY Neve or even just an intermediate-level audio circuit designer would leave out that circuit protection. I just don't think it's fair to Neve or others to potentially be associated with Vex's technical shortcomings.

16. RyanJH

RyanJH Tele-Meister

Fair enough, I heard it was from some standard application note, but wasn't able to find any reliable sources for the information. I own a handpainted Super Duper 2-in-1 (purchased before I started building and realized how horridly overpriced they are...), and although it has a ton of boost on tap, the insane 10M input impedance, which also forms a high-pass filter with the 100uF input for everything over 0.15Hz just makes it boomy and extremely harsh in almost every setup I've tried...

I'll probably end up selling it at some point and building a clone for 1/100th of the price.

I guess we can't fault the guy too much...I mean, didn't Fender's first amp have similar origins; and application note or some Popular Mechanics issue?

-Ryan

17. 11 Gauge

Oh, I'm not faulting him at all. Vex's marketing was (is) brilliant. Selling stuff doesn't mean you have to give factual information, at least not with sound making gizmos. Ultimately, we are going to believe what we want to believe anyway - fact/fiction/gray area.

And yes - Leo got his first basic amp design from RCA/Western Electric. It might be hard to realize that with new tubes at the time that the vendors also had to "supply applications" to some extent. That may sound silly, but if you think about it, it's not. TODAY it might seem silly, but it was a different world back then.

People often try to pin down who came up with the basic Fuzz Face'ish circuit first - Arbiter/Vox/Sola Sound/etc., and IMO it's "the same difference," because again - it's sort of a "standard application" amplifier circuit. The component values in them were either straight off the tech papers, or readily available stuff in bulk, or - what was needed to get those old daggone germaniums to bias up and work! :eek:

So as far as origins go, I really don't care. If it seems like I'm faulting someone, it's more just that I find something to be odd or downright funny. And I guess it doesn't hurt to add in that my responses/impressions are after the fact.

If I have a "beef" of any sort, it's that I think some "designers" tend to sell themselves short. Maybe Vex didn't understand the need for the input protection when he first started building the SHO, but he certainly figured it out down the line. So while his knowledge grew, it seems like it should have made sense to expand on other things. And yet with his drive boxes, we see that modular SHO "Lego block" for the Super Duper/BOR/Distortron/BOM/etc.

...The Fuzz Factory almost looks light years ahead in terms of creativity, IMO.

I guess I tend to see this like builders should grow, like IMO Brian Marshall of Subdecay or Jeorge Tripps of WHE/Dunlop/MXR have done.

But there's no disputing that the BOR/Distortron basically takes Ed Guidry's DIY BSIABII design, and subs the SHO building blocks in place of the minibooster-like jFET-based gain stages, and that's it. All the other components are 1:1. Why couldn't Vex tune his own tone circuit at a bare minimum? I guess the answer is that he felt no need to. :?::confused:

18. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I came back in to see what was going on... Thanks, 11G.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.