Jet City JCA2112C - I think I love this amp!

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by supersoldier71, Dec 22, 2018.

1. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Almost two years ago an Army buddy who was on orders to someplace else gave me his Jet City 20 watt combo and a WGS Retro 30 speaker that he hadn’t gotten around to installing.

When I first plugged in and powered up, I liked it, didn’t love it, and in retrospect, the sounds the amp gave up were getting worse over time. It was the least articulate, most bass heavy amp I’d ever heard, and it didn’t seem like a speaker change would fix what I guessed were intentional design decisions.

I’d decided to trade/sell it and get something else.

And then it died.

I now have a broken amp that sounds broken even when it’s working. Not much resale value there.

There’s a guy near me who retubed and serviced my Peavey, and he knows his stuff, but my expectations were pretty low when I dropped the amp and the WGS speaker off with him.

I dropped it off on a Friday, Sunday he texts and tells me it’s fixed, cleaned up and the new speaker installed. Turns out the previous owner had installed some very expensive aftermarket tubes, but hadn’t rebiased, so the tubes were seeing more than twice the correct voltage. Okay, that explains the short tube life, but I still didn’t have high hopes for this amp.

When I got home and played through it, first thing: it powered on. Win! Second: it did sound better, but I didn’t have time to properly dial it in.

Forward to yesterday, my first extended time with the amp.

WOW!!!

Depth and clarity on both channels and a clean tone that embarrasses my Classic 50. The OD channel still has a hum at idle that seems to be a function of the design rather than a malfunction, but it goes away when playing.

I have no idea what “percentage” of the outcome to attribute to the proper biasing with good tubes versus the new speaker,but I do know that I’m very happy with the result.

With a JHS Haunting Miss pedal in the loop, it’ll even cop some very Fender-like Deluxe Reverb cleans. But even on its own, it’s a keeper.

May have to get a proper EQ pedal in the future for more versatility.

Punches above its weight class in volume as well.

I’m very happy with this amp!

2. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

Jet City amps are cool, especially for gain, very mod friendly.

3. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Really like those little amps and have owned 2. Yes the WGS Retro works VERY well with this amp also!
    Here is my 1st one live. This is a JCH 22 head with a Blackstar 1/12 and a Retro no effects just guitar amp and me.

Sold that one and regretted it so later bought a JCA 22H Custom head the one with a better clean and re-voiced fatter crunch.
    Here she is live running unmiced on the same Blackstar cab with a WGS Retro running no effects other than the verb and a little delay I have in the loop until I hit my wah at the very end.

Own a couple Boogies an old Carvin X50 Hot Rod Mod head and a hand built Zinky. The little Jet City holds it's own in my stable .GREAT small light grab and go rig that sounds FANTASTIC!.
    KILLER amps that are very underrated and criminally under appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    supersoldier71 likes this.
  4. supersoldier71

I LOVE that tone, especially that second vid. Nice and thanks for the share!

5. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Nice picking there Ascension!

6. supersoldier71

I got home today after traveling over the weekend and got to plug in a different guitar, since I’d only gotten to play my Standard 24 thus far. Plugged my Charvel in.

Yep, this is a sweet amp!

I use a Korg delay in the loop as a Reverb and it just makes such sweet sounds.

Um...anybody got any experience with Jet City’s bigger offerings?

7. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

I had a JCA20H and did some of the mods from www.epic-tone.com. Here's a very short clip.

supersoldier71 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.