Jescar 39106

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by GeorgeG, May 13, 2021.

1. GeorgeG

GeorgeG TDPRI Member

After the obligatory Google rabbit hole adventures I concluded that Jescar makes the best fret wire and then concluded that 39106 is what I need. Hoping for precut pieces to avoid a fret bender purchase for my one hand or less lifetime refret adventures I came up dry on a source except for one Russian based Reverb guy with shipping thats too high. I then researched fret wire benders and went off looking for 39106 stock and can only find European source with no shipping to the US. Before I bail and go with the next best Stewmac wire (wide/medium), does anybody have a suggestion on a small quantity Jescar source?

Thanks,

George

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I've never used Jescar fretwire, why do you think it is the best?

3. GeorgeG

GeorgeG TDPRI Member

My research found so many opinions that this is the best fret wire and apparently preferred by many luthiers. I have to experience comparing them just reading opinions.

George

4. Freeman Keller

"best fret wire you can't buy...."

I've used several sizes of StewMac wire and LMII wire - don't know who makes either. On refrets I try to match what was on it unless the owner wants otherwise. A bit more for Evo or SS, a bit more for bound fretboards. I don't think that any guitar that I fretted/refretted in the past 20 years has come back - I see some wear on my first few acoustics but not bad.

I'll add that I do enough different radii that a bender is absolutely necessary. I made a simple one preset for two radius, but broke down and bought the StewMac tool. There was a thread at the Tool forum about making your own. I like to slightly over radius the wire - no idea of what the actual radius might be, I just eyeball it.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  5. GeorgeG

GeorgeG TDPRI Member

“The best wire you can’t buy..,”. That’s funny. The one I can’t find seems to be the closest match to what I took out. Now I’m trying to at least match the tang dimensions

George

6. Freeman Keller

I learned a hard lesson there. I got some wire a slightly different crown size from the same manufacturer, did all the prep including cleaning the slots with a little tool that I made out of a piece of fretwire with the barbs filed off, smacked a couple of frets in the board and they wouldn't seat. Found out the tang is the same width but slightly deeper and it was bottoming out at the ends of the slots (bound of course). Now I make one of those tools out of the fret wire I happen to be using at the time and as long as it clears I know the fret will seat properly.

7. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

I just looked at the specs on the Jescar 39106.

That is what I'd call an odd-ball size; no wonder you're having a hard time tracking any down.

Have you considered going with a more common size?

The link I posted up in your other thread for Philadelphia Luthier Supply is a real good source for Jescar wire.

Their price and shipping is fair, and they will bend the wire to any radius you want without an added charge.

8. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

Someone told me recently here that the stuff LMII sells is Jescar wire. Not sure if it's true. But I'd believe it as there probably aren't a huge number of manufacturers of fretwire.

9. Freeman Keller

George should give them a call and ask. LMII has always been very helpful with any questions I have.

Steve Holt likes this.
  10. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Holic

It’s a little harder than stewmac wire. It’s made neatly and consistent. They give you the dimensions including the tang and barb size. Big barbs on those frets. They got the gold evo stuff which is really hard.

11. GeorgeG

GeorgeG TDPRI Member

That odd Jescar wire is what I just took out of the guitar which is why I am considering it, hoping to improve my odds of an easy refret. Just found out that you can order direct from Jescar.

George

12. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

I like the idea of that crown size -- like the common 0.106"x0.036" wire, but with a smidgen more height for bending and vibrato. Weird that it's only available in that tang size, though. Was that always the case?

13. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I use Jescar wire all the time. I like it fine. I normally buy grom Philadelphia Luthier Supply, but Amazon has some sizes, and CB Gitty, the cigar box guitar guys, carries it too. As you mentioned, you can also order direct.

if it is the same size used originally, you should probably use it again because that particular number has a wider tang than other sizes. If you're not sure, pull one fret and mike it. You can also use Simonds refret wire, which also has a wide tang. If you try to put regular wire in that slot, it'll likely pop out.

14. GeorgeG

GeorgeG TDPRI Member

I have already pulled the frets and I did mic them, this Jescar wire is an identical match. It has a wide tang and wide barbs.

George

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  15. GeorgeG

GeorgeG TDPRI Member

Just ordered this fret wire directly from Jescar. Painless and reasonable shipping.

George

16. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What guitar? Fender sells precut, prebent wire.

17. GeorgeG

GeorgeG TDPRI Member

Tokai Love Rock LP copy with binding, no nibs. The frets removed were an exact match to this Jescar wire.

George

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.