1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jerry's breakdown.

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by johnny k, Oct 6, 2020.

1. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

For those of you who are able to play it, well done. My question is, how did you learn it ?
    I can't do it by ear, it will take too much time, and if i am able to do it which is not even sure, i am going to have a hard time gessing the positions. Did you get a tab ?

There are many of them, and they all have slight variations.

I guess this one looks ok, the thing is i have learnt on of the variations...:cry:

edit I think i am going to do a mash up of what i am able to play and what i think sounds close to the records with all the different versions.

edit 2
    And this is my 13 year old sister... I have been trying to learn that song for at least 15 years. I might be doing something wrong.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Outstanding!

johnny k likes this.
  3. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

BuckSatan and johnny k like this.
  4. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Um, wow. Talented family you got there.

It's one thing to master those licks, it's quite another to be 13 years old and understand musicality. Bright future ahead.

5. Rattfink

Rattfink Tele-Meister

Much like the title of the song, the best way is to "break it down" into edible chunks. I will slow down songs (you can do this on Youtube too) and try to learn little chunks at a time and then start putting them together.

It's like trying to eat a whole cake, there are very few of us that can do it in one sitting, but if you take it piece by piece, you will eventually finish it.

I'll also add, when learning chunks, try to take those licks and use them in different keys and/or find ways to practice the various techniques in different ways. For example, if you're having trouble with a particular right hand fingerpicking pattern, try it with different chord shapes or on different combinations of strings, etc. That way you begin to truly "own" the methods to put together the song.

Best of luck, this tune is a beast!

McGlamRock likes this.
  6. johnny k

Not my sister, i was quoting from the video.
    Oh sorry, i misunderstood your post. No one plays anything in my family. My grandmother could make a good hog cheese though.

tubegeek likes this.
  7. johnny k

There are so many open strings that i don't think i could play those in other keys. Probably unpossible without a capo.

Rattfink and xtelesquirex like this.
  8. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Aha - now I get it. I was actually wondering why you hadn't given your OTHER sister a shout-out there. Yeah, she's come a long way since picking up the guitar at 9 months old, or whatever!

johnny k likes this.
  9. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

The girl on the right...I can't unsee Maggie Gyllenhaal.

tubegeek and johnny k like this.
  10. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Holy economy of motion. And tiiiiiiiiight. Wow.

tubegeek and johnny k like this.
  11. Rattfink

Rattfink Tele-Meister

I guess my suggestion isn’t to play the left hand shapes exactly as they are in different keys, but to find other musical ways to practice the right hand patterns. In simpler forms, you can take the picking pattern from a song like Dust in the Wind or Landslide and use different chords.

In this example, Jerry is most likely using scales and arpeggios with his left hand. My suggestion would be to change those up, which may be challenging at first, but it will ultimately give you much better coordination between hands when using the fingerpicking technique (or flat picking).

johnny k likes this.
  12. johnny k

Well i have got the right hand down, not as clean as i would like it to be, but i need the notes. I can play it at about 75% percent of the original speed. But i would like to play it as closely as possible as jerry did.

But considering the amount of differences in the different transcriptions, that is not possible.

tubegeek likes this.
  13. johnny k

xtelesquirex likes this.
  14. johnny k

This guy shows the licks. i haven't checked yet how close they were, but that is a pretty cool thing to take 50 mns to put a free video on youtube showing how it is played.
    Especially when you consider how hard it is to show anything that difficult.

edit
    Dumb me forgot the link.

rough eye, xtelesquirex and Shango66 like this.
  15. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

When I was learning this song, I used this fellow's Soundcloud backing track a lot. It was really helpful.

I used the tab from Songster (it gives Chet Atkins credit for some reason?) and just started really slow.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    xtelesquirex and johnny k like this.
  16. RifleSlinger

RifleSlinger Tele-Meister

I used a tab to learn it about 15 years ago. I don't remember what website and have since thrown out my copies.

Having a classical guitar background made the right hand easy to learn. A banjo background would probably be as helpful. There are a lot of open strings, which gives the left hand a lot of time to move easily at its leasure, but it would be harder to learn by ear if you're not used to that.

johnny k likes this.
  17. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Absolutely not helpful, but pretty fun.

McGlamRock and johnny k like this.
  18. johnny k

Motherquicker ! they are goood.

19. johnny k

That is the one i leanrt ! you can ring me when
    i get it up to dpeed.

20. Riff Robin

Riff Robin TDPRI Member

His transcription is different than the one in the book above. Not sure which one is correct yet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.