Jerry Reed's Tele for sale

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bendingtens, Dec 14, 2013.

1. bendingtens

bendingtens Tele-Holic

I'm not familiar with Reverb.com - but I saw this tele listed. The poster claims it was Jerry's guitar.

Thoughts?

Jerry Reed 1968 Tele

2. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've never seen Jerry pictured with a Tele like that ... Doesn't mean it couldn't be legit though.

3. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

It seems to me that without hard evidence -- photo or video of the artist playing the guitar, affidavit from the estate, etc. -- claims of ownership are completely spurious and useless for the purposes of selling a guitar. Anyone can claim what they want, but without evidence it's just a shot in the dark.

At any rate, "promotional" divisions of manufacturers have been throwing guitars at celebrities for decades. What does it matter if a famous artist owned a guitar if it perhaps sat in its case and was rarely played in major performances.

It's like the stupid "Buchanan" Telecaster for 73 grand everybody keeps posting from eBay. Maybe it was Roy's but if it ain't Nancy, who cares?

That said, this is a great looking and quality guitar that could well be worth the asking price in its own right.

4. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I've always wanted to know more about Reeds Teles. The only guitar specific info I ever found were a few things on his nylon string acoustics and the Tradition Guitars sig model (at least I think it's a sig model). I love the white guard Tele he's playing in the "Baby's coming home" video with Chet Atkins (think that's from his TV show in the 70's). I remember him playing a similar guitar in "W W and the Dixie Dancekings", but it's been so long since I've seen that movie, my memory could be playing tricks on me.

5. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

That tele looks about as funky as jerry himself

6. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

What's the guys proof of Jerry Reed's ownership?

I used to own a 1962 Martin F-55 that was allegedly used by Glen Campbell on an album in the 60's and I used to own a Gibson Les Paul Studio that was, very likely, painted for and used by Billy Idol on the 1984 Rebel Yell Tour.

What evidence did I have? None- so both were bought and sold for their regular cool guitar price, not a celebrity guitar price. (The Billy Idol Les Paul was sold to Jon Schafffer of Iced Earth).

7. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jerry and some Telecasters ... None of which looks like the '68 Tele though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

As others have said without a certificate or picture it's worth what someone will pay.

If it's real, it was a visionary model which was 5 years ahead of a similar production model the Custom Tele. Also, I can't remember micro switches on guitars even being available until around 75. Another interesting point is that Fender always wraps their pickups so the bridge pickup is either a later addition or someone took off the wrapping tape or cloth. I just can't see Fender putting a Gibson humbucker into one of their guitars, even though this was years ahead of Seth Lover creating the wide range pickup.

I would want to take off the pickguard and see how well done the routing is on the guitar to make sure it's not somebody’s homebuilt. Also, the witchhat volume and tone controls have the words "volume and tone" on the tops. Fender did not use these until 72 to my knowledge unless it was on some obscure lesser sold item. The tuning pegs were not around until 72, that's for sure and I am sure Fender would not have done one offs of these 5 years earlier.

Notice the string holes on the back which are no longer being used and the holes on the front which are poorly filled in to accommodate the bigsby. If this is a 68 tele that Jerry Reed had made then someone tried to convert it to a 72 later and it doesn't make sense that Fender would have a non descript logo at the top. My call is, some part of it might have once been Jerry reeds 68 but that most of it has left the building and updated with MIM parts. Those tuning peg covers look brand new but the bridge is rusted? Doesn't add up.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  9. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

Jerry hacked off part of his Baldwin to fit his playing style so he could reach the upper register. A bigsby does not fit his playing style so this mod does not make sense. Would have to be well documented.

10. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

The Peavey LTD Amp I got in Nashville came out of his gear as well, so I was told. It was brought by a cousin with some other amps also PV to a yard sale next door to me. It pissed me off that he was saying it like I should have paid a lot for it or something, I offered 100.00 less than what I already decided was my top amount and he took it.

11. bluzeman1

bluzeman1 TDPRI Member

Im a member on reverb.com, Ive emailed this guy twice asking him if he has a COA, or any photographic proof of any kind or something that proves this in fact was jerrys guitar, the seller refuses to respond or acknowledge my inquiries at all.

12. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Doesn't seem to be any proof of prior ownership but seems like it's priced pretty low for an authentic tele from that era. Gotta wonder how well it plays if it's only been taken out of the case 3 times..

IMO for a celebrity owned instrument to be something special to me it needs to be one of their everyday players. Something they kept in a case means nothing to me.

13. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

One thing I noticed reading the description is that it said it was produced for Jerry Reed, it didn't say that he owned it or took possession of it. Could have been something produced as a one off by Fender to try to lure Reed to a Fender endorsement. Pretty cool guitar though.

14. telo

telo Tele-Meister

Reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld when George buys a Chrysler LeBaron because John Voight, the dentist, used to own it.

15. bluzeman1

bluzeman1 TDPRI Member

The seller did finally reply to my 2 emails asking if he had verification or proof this was jerrys guitar, this is what he responded with and I quote
    "no i just know the history of the guitar and besides guitar is worth 8000.00 without it belonging to anyone famous."

16. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

OH! Well then, if you say so!

LMAO... that's so rich.

17. bluzeman1

bluzeman1 TDPRI Member

yea, I thought it was kind of a messed up message myself LOL :lol:

18. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

You mean John Voight the periodontist :lol:

19. Andy R

Andy R Tele-Holic

The Tradition model referenced was a signature model for a totally different guitarist, Jerry Lane Reid, a fabulous player who played with Mel Tillis for many years. He, like the entire Tillis band, was a complete wild man. I remember him describing some wild antic to me and then saying, "I'll show me!". I love that!

20. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

funny seller raised his starting bid..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.