Jerry Jones Guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Terriblecj, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Terriblecj

Terriblecj Tele-Meister

Were they built with the same materials as the originals? Masonite with wood frame? Poplar necks? Man, they sure go for good $$ but I'd love to play one...I think.

2. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Yes, same materials but way better build quality compared to either an original or reissue Danno. I've got a JJ longhorn bass 6 and it's amazing. A friend of mine has one of the sitars. Wish I could afford one of the guitars!

3. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I've got a JJ Longhorn bass (seen in my avatar) and a 2 pu double cut 6 string, both in blood and cream sunburst. Great stuff! I've neveer had to adjust the necks on either one. Solid!

4. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

I also have a JJ Bass4...very cool instrument, much better quality than a Dano.

5. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes, very nice quality instruments. I had a shorthorn guitar and it was really nice.

6. Terriblecj

Terriblecj Tele-Meister

Do they feel like the old ones when you hold them? Or a different feel altogether? Neck profile? I've got my eyes open but I'd take home an old Dano if it was the right one.

7. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

They feel like the old ones except the necks are straight and the action is good. Neck profile is the same as far as I know.

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've had several vintage Danos, and still play one regularly (just gave it a well-earned fretboard cleaning (Decades of grime) and a level-and-crown), and they are fine guitars.
    Definitely not to be relegated to slide because of poor playability!
    I played a couple of JJs years ago and, as far as I could tell, he was trying to capture the vibe of the originals...I didn't feel they were better in any way...just more expensive.
    Perhaps that's why he no longer makes them.
    DSCN3583.JPG

9. tweedtone

tweedtone Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have two (used to have three, stupidly sold one, argh!) and love, love, love them. Great workmanship on the builds and quality parts.

One is the double-cutaway in black aka the Jimmy Page model, the other was a B-to-B baritone in orange that I converted into a six-string bass.

10. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

I'd take my JJ short horn with its better tuners, better nut, and compensated bridge saddle over a vintage one any day. It plays just as well as my Les Paul.

11. Terriblecj

Terriblecj Tele-Meister

Dang, I'd love to come across one for a song but I'm not getting my hopes up. Crazy prices for some of those things but then again, I see crazy prices on old Danos too. If I did come across a decent Dano or Silvertone, I guess I could just upgrade the hardware and have something similar at least. Ideally, I'll find a Silvertone 1457 since I already have the amp/case and the guitars have a longer scale than the others before it. Love the amp though. I just repaired a Danelectro Hodad from 99' (non-bigsby model) and it got me thinking about improving the Dano, which got me into Jerry Jones (I'd known about them, just not about them).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    Bortyeast likes this.
  12. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

He doesn't make them any more because he decided to retire.

He certainly didn't have any shortage of people to buy them when he was making them and that's not the reason he stopped.

13. vespa1

vespa1 Tele-Meister

I have been using my Jerry Jones longhorn bass as my primary bass for about 21 years. It is beat to heck, but still plays great. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I could find an affordable one.

14. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Jerry Jones 'Master Sitar'. Very nice, primo instrument.

Also have a Danelectro baritone guitar. I keep it around because I need a bari for recording, but it has a lot of issues, too many for me to gig it with confidence, without some upgrades and work.

Wish I'd picked up Jerry Jones baritone and electric 12 string guitars when I could've.

15. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

I have s "Shorty" octave 12-string
    Excellent quality

16. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

I saw that on the JJ website. Looks very nice and those drone strings look like they might actually be of some use, with their own buzz bridge, unlike the original one where they were pretty much decorative.

17. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks. Yes, the drone strings are quite useful, and they even have their own dedicated volume and tone controls.

The default tuning is D7add4, which I have used. Because the sound is so distinctive (like the sound of strings on an autoharp or psaltery), I have tuned the drone strings to particular chords at sessions to play arpeggios. With such tiny distance between the strings, it took a bit of practice to consistently and accurately play the arpeggios with a pick. Anyway, I've used the drone strings in a few different ways and I'm glad they're there!

18. charlie chitlin

Hard to imagine someone with a successful business, making a desirable product and turning a profit, just closing the doors and walking away...most folks in that position would sell the business.
    He was (is?) a pretty crabby dude...it wouldn't surprise me if he had his own way of doing things.

19. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

The original Danos typically play extremely well - I've had one with too much relief but a heat press got it beck to where it needed to be and most I've had my hands on were pretty straight. They're certainly very different to the average budget 60s guitar in terms of playability.

Here are my two:

[​IMG]

20. charlie chitlin

A Dano that still has a straight neck (steel reinforced!) is likely to stay that way.
    I've gotten all of mine set up and playing as well as anything.
    They intonate well enough to not need adjustable saddles (although I've considered carving the rosewood saddle to get it perfect, just for the heck of it...it would be so easy), hold tune with stock tuners (gluing in those creeping ferrules helps) and I have no problem with the aluminum nut.
    And the original pickups are just what they're supposed to be...although there is quite a bit of variation among them.
    To me, Jerry Jones just made copies. Really fine copies, but still just copies...I must admit, though, this is only based on 1 visit to a music store and playing several of them.
    I don't remember how JJ's necks are held on, but the screws-in-line method used on the originals could probably use some improvement.
    My oldie came with a couple added drywall screws to remedy this ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.