jerry donahue 5 way wiring

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rosstiger, Dec 25, 2014.

1. rosstiger

rosstiger TDPRI Member

happy christmas everybody,

i just listened to jerry donahues youtube demo of his fret king guitar, and i´m impressed with all 5 sounds - like he says 'every position is a winner'. here´s the link:

i tried the usual 5 way-wiring with the 4 wafer superswitch, but the out-of-phase-sound is too thin, and the series-sound too bland...
    did anybody inspect the exact wiring, including the values of the caps and/or resistors that are used in positions 2, 3 and 4?
    this could be the key to a real flexible tele.

thanks for advice, happy holidays and happy tweaking
    chris

2. Dennis Brown

Dennis Brown Tele-Meister

I bought a JD bridge pickup, installed in for about a month and sold it. Wasn't nearly as impressed as I thought I would be. I had the same issue, bland and thin but not enough actual twang. I had it setup with a 4 way, not the 5 way.

3. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I have that wiring in one of my guitars, done by cologne electronic wizzard Hardy Kuhrand with a pair of nocaster pickups. There is a wiring diagram somewhere on the internet, not very acurate, though. What you get is an approximation of strat-quack and a midrangy sound - none of these do as much for me as I was hoping. After all I prefer the normal 3-way wiring.

4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I assume the strat "cluck" he's talking about is whats been mentioned here in the past. I forgot what it's called, but it's supposedly a way to fake that sound by having a position that puts them out of phase and adds a cap to keep that out of phase sound from being so tinny. I tried it and the result was what i felt was useless. If there really was a way to get that strat bridge/middle tone i'd be on it quicker than brad paisley on speed.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Not knowing anything of this custom circuit I did a bit of Internet searching. Posting some notes I found if it helps others out. Seems to have been Fender, Peavey, and now Fret King versions of this circuit (with slight variations). Seymour Duncan was asked by Fender not to put up the schematic.

"I think the trick is that you need to have a neck pickup that isn't overly dark sounding and you have to put both pickups out of phase with a cap on one of them so the out of phase configuration cancels less of the bass frequencies and you get a fatter sound with the quacky top end." from http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/5479

http://www.redherring-tonebones.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/jerry1.jpg (another identical image was found except a 0.047 cap on the 250k tone pot instead of 0.0223 cap here

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3301&stc=1&d=1122985603

5-way switch a guy in a forum tried in a Tele so he knows it fits http://www.toneshapers.com/wiring-p...ay-oak-grigsby-4-pole-superswitch-narrow.html

"At Fender's® request, the JD Tele® schematic is not available for publication. In the meantime, for your reference, here are the selector switch specifications:"
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/faq/frequently-asked/installation-an/can_you_give_me/
    "...the wiring is fairly complex and the key to the Strat® sound is using a Strat® pickup in the neck position. Sorry we can not provide any more detailed information."

6. rosstiger

rosstiger TDPRI Member

thanks for all the inputs. i did out of phase with a capacitor across the (dpdt) switch years ago, tried some cap values (i think 6,8n was my favourite), but obviously it was not convincing enough to keep it.
    out of phase is cool on a les paul, where you have 2 volume controls and can back off one pickup a bit; and jerry donaue talks about a resistor as well, so this way he might back off one pickup.
    perhaps, all in all, it´s not worth the effort, and i just stay with the classic 3 way switch; it´s just that the 5 positions in his particular guitar do sound good in the posted video, but hey - it´s jerry donaue playing, and i ain´t got his fingers, that´s for sure...
    (i think even the standard middle position is modified a bit with a cap and/or resistor)
    cheers

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.