Jeff buckleys guitar for sale again

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EuroBailey, Apr 6, 2017.

1. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Golem likes this.
  2. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

It's currently listing in the US for $83,968.34 + $193.77 shipping. Sorry, not interested.

3. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

$1,400.00 cash and you can keep the pick.

Its just an 80s telecaster.

ponce, MickM, JayFreddy and 2 others like this.
  4. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Yep I'm in Australia , 111 is what we would have to pay over here.

5. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I had a black 1983, my first telecaster, a top loader. It was merely OK. Can't imagine anyone is that big of a Jeff Buckley fan.

6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Buckley was really good, if he'd been around longer, maybe he would have been "great". but i can't imagine that he had a following massive enough for his guitar to bring that much money.

jimash likes this.
  7. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Not for that much, no way. But regardless of his short-lived tenure, he was one of a kind. An absolutely brilliant musician.

8. thunderbyrd

i guess you can't blame them for trying. if it brings that much, bully for them.

TMMC likes this.
  9. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Ok I'm being serious here; with exception of his version of Hallelujah that I've heard only because someone was raving about it. Who is this Jeff Buckley? I'm not flaming its just I've only heard this one song but yet he is someone of notoriety and apparently now deceased.

soulgeezer likes this.
  10. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

Jakedog and Doug 54 like this.
  11. thunderbyrd

He was the son of folk singer Tim Buckley, though his father didn't raise him. He made one album that I know of. Then unfortunately drowned in the Mississippi River. He's most well known for the Cohen cover.

12. Snowbird

Snowbird Tele-Meister

Check out Last Goodbye. One of my favorites

TMMC likes this.
  13. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Absolutely gorgeous song. Lost Highway, Everybody Here Wants You, So Real, Grace...

He was incredible.

14. CK5150

CK5150 Tele-Meister

If you need more reason to check him out - Jimmy Page said Grace was one of the best albums he's ever heard.

15. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

I wouldn't be surprised if a celebrity bought it.. someone with excess cash. May not be worth it, but it's an iconic guitar and symbolic of him. It actually was never his own guitar and lent to him by one of his best girlfriends. She sold it after his death as she needed the money.

He had/has a pretty big following in australia, France - some of the documentaries I have watched suggest he wasn't as big in the states.

Having said that, was discovered in a bar called sin-e in NYC and signed a huge deal with Columbia without having any real finished material. One of my fav artists of all time and the reason I bought a tele as my first guitar.

JayFreddy likes this.
  16. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Yeah I just checked it out. I can see why Page would say that. It sounds a like Zep light without the heavy guitar riffs.

17. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Correct. This is a great example of paying for the instrument/amp or paying for the story.

I had Grace (1994) in high school and listened to it quite a bit. He also had an EP that had a wonderful Van Morrison cover on it ("The Way Young Lovers Do"). The EP was just him and a telecaster and an amp, I think. [Just found it: it was called Live at Sin-é (1993)]. He was in the middle of recording another album, I think at Easley Studios, when he drowned in the Mississippi River.

That's really interesting. I listened to this album a lot, but that was a long time ago. Even Grace was not consistently good throughout. I remember disliking his bass player's playing and thinking that his band was just okay. What made Buckley so great, I think, was his voice. It was beautiful and haunting. But in my opinion, there was something a little too syrupy about his sound. I recall hearing that Dennis Herring said something like that about Buckley at the time.

I saw him live in Memphis the week before he died. It was a very, very small place. I don't remember being overly impressed with it. I'm not saying he wasn't talented. He certainly was. He had a lot of potential that was unmet, and I think that the decades since his death (which was probably his own fault, being stupid or drunk or both and trying to swim in the Mississippi River; perhaps there is some other cause I don't know about) have been kind to him. If you look up his discography, he's got about 10 albums that were released after his death. Mostly fragments and live shows, I guess. It's interesting that when most people think of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah," they think of Buckley's version. That's a powerful testimony. But to be frank, I don't like Cohen's version.

18. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I don't like most versions of the song ! Maybe K.D. Lang's version but that Shrek movie just ruined that song. It turned a complicated adult narrative into...well a simplistic Disney theme for kids.

Ex-riverman likes this.
  19. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

I remember reading this.

Thom Yorke was said to massively influenced by him as well - apparently shaped Thoms vocals on ok computer .

20. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Definitely a cult hero. Very talented all the way around from what I can tell. Often takes a deeper dive to really "get" a performer. I haven't made that dive, myself.

Also, because of his devoted following, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them has the money and inclination to make the purchase.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.