'Jeff Beck' Tele Question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by roadkillbill, Aug 6, 2006.

1. roadkillbill

roadkillbill Tele-Holic

I'd love to try tomake a "JB" type tele like the one pictured, which is a new reliced Edwards, MIJ.

Has anyone tried this?--Can you rout out a regular tele body to accomodate the bridge humbucker and not have any gaps showing around the bridge HB ring and/or pickguard?

Or would you have to start from scratch w/a body and do the routing just for the HB's?

And, can you buy bridges like the one pictured, or do people saw off regular tele bridges?

Thanks, Bill

Attached Files:

2. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

3. roadkillbill

roadkillbill Tele-Holic

Thanks, Pete. That's a fine tutorial you've put together.

I'm wondering..did you ever consider the use of a tele style bridge designed for a HB? My thinking was that aside from the completely different visual appearance, I was uncertain what kind of tonal qualities I'd end up with with a HB suspended from a steel bridge, tele style.

Your advice about just buying a HB routed body makes the most sense, though....since I'd have to buy a router just to get rollin'..

4. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

I used one of those humbucker Tele bridges on this guitar:

[​IMG]

That bridge is from Stewmac. I don't know of anyone who builds a Tele humbucker bridge with the 3-saddle arrangement.

I kind of liked this bridge because the pickup grounded the bridge, so I got away without running a ground wire to the bridge.

This guitar was my main guitar for a couple years, but I've never considered the guitar I cut the ashtray bridge for my main guitar. I kind of like the other one's looks better, but this one's a better guitar IMO.

Pete

5. roadkillbill

roadkillbill Tele-Holic

I really like that guitar, and as a matter of fact, I just saw that picture in another thread somewhere, and that's what got me to thinking about a new (my second) project..

So do you think the metal bridge adds anything, good or otherwise, to what you'd normally expect a HB to sound like?

6. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

That bridge is heavier than an ashtray Tele bridge. So it does add weight to the guitar! You could probably say it adds some sustain, but it'd be really difficult for me to A/B it. The one with the cut ashtray bridge has too many differences to compare them.

The seafoam green one has a lot more natural sustain, but I'm not sure if the bridge is the reason.

When I put that one together my theory was that Telecasters needed to have their pickups mounted in the bridge, even if they're humbucker pickups. Just for that direct link between the pickup, and the bridge. But it was just a theory.

7. lusn

lusn TDPRI Member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  8. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

The Glendale HB bridge looks good. I wonder if he'll make them in the 4-screw style.

Check out these new Glendale knobs:

[​IMG]

I'd like to try a couple of those.

Pete

9. roadkillbill

roadkillbill Tele-Holic

Wow, sticker shock....$100 for the bridge, no saddles. Looks like good stuff, though.

Odds are I'll end up going the hacksaw route!

10. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

Yeah, I always have sort of a problem with spending money on boutique parts for a Tele. I mean... as if the original Fender companies ever did something like that.

But $100 for a Glendale bridgeplate is probably reasonable because it's a small company putting out a high grade product, and they have very low production numbers.

I've put in a lot of orders for collections of parts that were higher than $100. So if I wanted one, I'd find a way to justify the purchase.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.