1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jeff Beck on Crossroads 2007

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by The Bone, Nov 29, 2007.

1. hiwannajam

hiwannajam TDPRI Member

The bass player looks like she's about 12. I really like Jeff Beck. I thought Vince Gill blew them all away though.

2. Markl8

Markl8 Tele-Meister

Here is a quote from the man himself that will splain his Fill ahh sophie

Jeff Beck
    "I don't understand why some people will only accept a guitar if it has an instantly recognizable guitar sound. Finding ways to use the same guitar people have been using for 50 years to make sounds that no one has heard before is truly what gets me off."

But yes some of his stuff I get and some I dont....

3. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

This can be a challenge when listening to guys like JB...at his level of genius, think of what he must have to do to keep himself challenged.
    I think of Bela Fleck who plays jazz and classical on the banjo. Most would agree that this instrument isn't too well suited to those musical styles, but the guy's brain must move a million miles an hour and he needs to keep feeding it new stuff.
    Mark O'Connor locked himself in a room for a year and learned how to read and play classical violin and found himself playing with the likes of Yo Yo Ma.
    Not bad for a bluegrass guy. Another genius who can play several musical styles in one song (or chorus, bar, phrase...pick one), but it can be challenging to enjoy his stuff because of this.
    How many times has Jeff Beck played "Cause We've..."?
    He has to do something to keep himself amused!
    I bet he hears a much more melodic part in his head, and he's playing some fills along with a guitar (or an orchestra) that only he can hear.

4. Brutalblues

Brutalblues Tele-Afflicted

Jeff Beck is a guitar god!

(That's god with a small "g")

I had the honor to meet Jeff backstage at the Tower Theater
    in Philadelphia a few years ago.
    I said to him, "You are THE BEST!" to which
    he replied "Well, I don't know about that!

5. Telelicious

Telelicious Banned

I think Jeff Beck just plays his age.
    I wax nostalgic for the days when you could expect a lengthy somewhat improvised version of all the band trademarks at a big show
    Jeff has always played like that and this is one of the reasons he is the best at what he does. Playing betweeen the notes is a good take on his style.

Tal Wilkenfeld is grabbing the torch. She is fast becoming one of the greats.
    And it doest hurt that she holds her bass in just the right spot.

6. Brutalblues

Brutalblues Tele-Afflicted

I recently found a response to a JB video on YouTube that claimed JB sort of stole some ideas/chops from this guy, Ray Gomez, whom I had never heard of before. Check it out....

If the video doesn't work for you, go here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsZfHvz013E

7. Markl8

Markl8 Tele-Meister

If anything Id say it was the other way around...

8. Grin'n'pick

Grin'n'pick Friend of Leo's

Beck is Beck and that's why you have to tip your hat. I'm in the got to admire him but can't listen to him for very long camp, although it is great that he has been ploughing his own furrow all along and he is a colossus in the cannon of electric guitar playing.

Far more pressing and important however is that no one is discussing how he is turning into a Link Wray lookalike (especially with those shades).

9. chet

chet Banned

I just watched it again after taping it last night. I agree.

I think Jeff walked up and talked to a guy next to me at the bar at BB Kings a few years ago as I was waiting for Dick Dale to start his show but....

10. chet

chet Banned

Yeah, he did seem kinda distracted...:eek:

11. JimiBryant

JimiBryant Tele-Afflicted

Gomez is/was a MONSTER player, I dunno if he's still around or not -
    but he was a session guy of the 1970s for the most part. Gomez and
    Beck are of the same calibre - and besides, we all KNOW that there's
    not a dang thing new under the sun; it's all been done before and the
    very best musicians freely admit copping licks/ideas/etc from each
    other.. it's only the mistakes along the way that make for "new" ideas!

there was another session guy, Elliot Roberts - he played the solo on
    Steely Dan's "Reelin' In The Years" - that guy sure could play as well
    as a Jeff Beck, no doubt of it.

12. chet

chet Banned

I really dug the some of rest of the concert though. Johnny Winter was great with "Highway 61 Revisited".

13. 6bender

6bender Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I agree he seemed a little off, but I dug it. His playing is always on the edge and you don't quite know what to expect. As much as I admire and respect all of the other players at that concert, they can be a little too predictable and dull at times.

My wife was watching the dvd with me and SHE noticed how Beck used the whammy bar and volume/tone/etc. and remarked how interesting it was. She finds Jimmy Vaughan and John Mayer incredibly boring though.

14. fphh

fphh Tele-Meister

I agree that it's great that people like Jeff are out there, expanding the perimeter, like Eric Johnson, though I feel like they've been playing the same stuff for 15 years.

Satriani irritated me before I'd finished spinning "Surfing with the Alien" the first time.

Eddie Van Halen played some very great stuff, IMO, within a couple relatively tight musical formulae. Satriani was a little more out there, Johnson a little more so, and Beck is out the farthest, of this (as I recognize it) "genre".

There's a difference between appreciating Jeff's guitar-playing skills and being entertained. I'm not entertained.

I felt the same "betrayal" when Marsalis got hot, and jazz started sounding like stuff only another species could appreciate. It's very tough to make a living by breaking new ground and wondering/hoping if the audience will come along, so I sympathize (possessing no such talent allowing me to empathize).

I listen to JB when I stumble across him- never tune him out- but I'm never really tuned in, either.

fphh

15. Greenpea

Greenpea TDPRI Member

I saw Jeff Beck live in the mid 70's. He is the best player I've ever seen in my life!

16. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post

Creepy! I stumbled across this video myself today, before I read this thread!

I replied to that guy on the video, he claims this was 1990-1991, as I said in the reply Beck has been doing this stuff since the early 80's.

I could be wrong about who was first.

Ray Gomez is a good guitarist, his stuff with Stanley Clarke is great.

17. kingalingus

kingalingus Tele-Meister

JB is in the top 5 on nearly everyone's list and to me, is without equal. However, on Crossroads 2007, he didn't shine as brightly as he normally does. Maybe he was listening to Sun Ra before the show. That would mess me up too.

18. The Bone

The Bone Friend of Leo's

No to be a jerk

but the banjo is one of the original and classic jazz instruments.;)

19. superchicken_VI

superchicken_VI Friend of Leo's

I wonder how many of those who did not like this also did not like Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" or anything from Ornette Coleman? This isn't guitar rock, it's more on the side of jazz and pure experimental music. If music is a reflection of life, then it cannot always be pleasing. Sometimes you need to make some sounds that hurt, because I know every day something pokes me and hurts.

20. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

The above quote by Beck is exactly what I was alluding to very early on in this thread when I said, and I qote my own self,
    As he himself states, what gets him off is making guitar sounds. That's different from making music and personally I can hear the difference quite plainly.

I have a B.B King DVD called "Live By Request". It's a concert in New York and one of the reasons I bought it was because it has Jeff Beck as a special guest. Well to cut to the chase Beck's playing is so hideous that it's indefensible in my opinion. Unless the defense is insanity or pharmaceutical abuse. The only thing close that I've seen is what takes place locally at the Saturday 'blues' jam.

His playing on that particular DVD would indicate that he either had no awarness of the musical context he was in (B.B King's guest) or he just didn't care. Either way it results in some of the most unmusical stuff I have ever heard.

And on a very, very superficial note I actually find it hard to get past the Spinal Tap look that he continues to sport. If only his sense of fashion could be as modern as some listeners think his playing is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.