Jeff Beck is a freak!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 8barlouie, May 13, 2019.

1. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

How ironic would it be if the cutting edge of a fusion music movement would be sired by an old man! :)

kafka likes this.
  2. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

His vibrato bar excursions would be much more appealing if the underlying tone wasn’t so aggressively in that 80’s boxy upper-midrange zone.

That kind of saturated eq just make guitars sound like angry rubber bands to me.

His instinct for note choice and phrasing with the bar is so individual that I have to respect him. I just always wonder how much better it would sound with more clean gain/compression instead of that wavering honk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8barlouie likes this.
  3. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

He can be so melodic and almost human voice like with it but he often just uses it to be skronky and noisy and stunt guitarist.

I could use less of the latter. Even though I still consider him my favourite guitarist.

Cheers,
    Geoff

8barlouie and kafka like this.
  4. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Those fusion guys were all old even when they were young.

8barlouie likes this.
  5. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

OK, yeah, that's what I don't like about him when I go through my non-Jeff Beck phases. A lot of his output is just trick guitar. And then there were all those years when he didn't do anything at all. But for the past decade or so, he's become transcendent.

6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Beck has always been an enigma , he chameleons in styles and has total mastery over the guitar using everything on the guitar to get his tonal voicings , he doesnot like effects and has limited use of pedals in his set up , his present incarnations of tone may not be to everyones liking , but damn Im not fit to carry this guy's running shoes when it comes to technique and style. I respect the hell out of his body of work and appreciate every opportunity to watch him play , He, Clapton and Page ( these are still living) have done more for guitar players than most others , because even though they may sound dated to some, they did what they did without the stuff we have to use today and even so. we are as lucky to have what we use tday ,. no one else has come along to move it forward , just differently, more lateral than progressive .JMHO

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  7. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Meister

He has really stripped down his effect usage nowadays, but he used ring modulators, wahs, chorus, talk boxes, delay, compression, treble boosters, foxtone fuzzes, really whatever was available to use at the times during his earlier days in groups and through the eighties as a guest guitarist with Rod Stewart and others. His recent solo stuff has been mostly straight into an overdriven Marshall because it is his present voice. He can and has utilized gorgeous clean tones when he desires as he did with his rockabilly Party DVD with Imelda May.

24 track and RoyBGood like this.
  8. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

The man isn't "Jeff Beck" for nothing. And, that concert is a huge WOW.

He can caress, coax, beguile, and enchant with a Strat like no other. (Any guitar in his hands, no doubt.)

In the later stages of their careers, I'd say Jeff reigns far above his old compatriots Jimmy and Eric.

To be at a table, at Ronnie Scott's, watching and listening to Jeff, the "hot" Tal, and the incredible Vinnie Colaiuta on drums would be an experience of a lifetime. And bonus: IMOGEN!

9. RedRock

RedRock Tele-Holic

8barlouie, Georox, 24 track and 2 others like this.
  10. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

He's the only electric guitarist that can move me to tears; listen to his gorgeous playing on this - particularly the ending from 1.17.

8barlouie, Flyboy, Georox and 2 others like this.
  11. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I LOVE Nessun Dorma and never knew that Jeff Beck played it. SO awesome!

Thank you for sharing that,

RedRock and RoyBGood like this.
  12. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Simply sublime!

Ignatius likes this.
  13. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

King of stunt guitar.

14. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Showtime has a JB special Still on the Run that just started. It's kind of a very vanilla biopic of his life story. Nothing about about sex and drugs, wives, kids or anything most people didn't know already. They just kind of gush about JB for 1.5 hrs.

8barlouie likes this.
  15. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

That is a great video. My first time seeing Jeff Beck live was with that band, in 2007?
    His control of the guitar is stunning and that band...wow.

Makes his Yardbird contemporaries, Clapton and Page look like has-been's with Clapton content being rather pedestrian and Page lost in his own legacy of 40 yrs, seemingly too lazy or uninspired to even play.

I like those guys, but Jeff Beck is a league if his own for keeping the pedal down and moving ahead.

8barlouie likes this.
  16. 8barlouie

Yeah, give me more of that angry rubber sound. For real.

scrimmer likes this.
  17. 8barlouie

That was sweet!

RedRock likes this.
  18. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

Nothing I can add here that hasn't already been said, but for me Jeff is the ultimate electric guitarist!

Oh, yeah, and I guess I love that 'angry rubber band' sound also. :)

RoyBGood and 8barlouie like this.
  19. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's

I've seen Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, David Gilmore, Robin Trower and Jeff Beck. Still wanting to see Jimmy Page. Too young to have seen Jimi Hendrix. Too poor to have seen Pete Townsend when the Quadrophenia Tour came to town recently.

Jeff Beck was probably one of the best shows I've ever seen.

8barlouie likes this.
  20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Having been a big fusion head in my late teens (before hearing Jimmie Vaughan made me laugh at the very idea of Al DiMeola) I can listen to it very sparingly now. I enjoy some of it but for some reason classic Miles or Trane and all of their bands waiting around for their turns to solo is enjoyable, where Mahavishnu and Return To Forever is just brutal .

Beck’s take on it was rarely as in your face as a lot of them though.

It could have been better but not by the inclusion of all the stuff that made the Clapton one so bad.

8barlouie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.