Jeff Beck is a freak!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 8barlouie, May 13, 2019.

1. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Please forgive me if most or all of you who read this have already seen this video, but I was blown away. If I could clone myself a hundred times and locked us all up in a room for months I couldn’t get a single lick to sound like this guy. Helluva rhythm section too.

It’s over an hour and a half long, but it’s worth it. Get some popcorn or some nachos.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah...seen it before, but it's worth seeing again!

3. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

Nobody does what he does. A truly unique voice.

RedRock, gitold, ooglybong and 4 others like this.
  4. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

One of the best, and most original, ever. I just watched "Still on the Run" again last night for probably the third time, and I'd probably watch it another three times if they air it again at times that fit my schedule. He always followed his muse, and never cared about the money or success. He quit the first Jeff Beck band because he didn't want to play Woodstock.

gitold, ooglybong, Jim622 and 4 others like this.
  5. kwcsports

kwcsports TDPRI Member

I love Jeff Beck. I saw him when he was in my town. My jaw was on the floor the whole show. Didn't touch a guitar for a week after that show. He is an incredible talent.

RedRock, gitold, Jim622 and 3 others like this.
  6. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

a favorite of mine since the Yardbirds. he never stopped innovating.

I used to give out Live at the Ronnie for christmas presents.

7. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

Who is the girl on bass?

Isn't that the obvious question?

Jakeboy likes this.
  8. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Tal Wilkenfeld.

Cheers,
    Geoff

fnkmstr, Nubs, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.
  9. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Recently Jeff Beck is my favorite guitarist. Amazing technique. I saw him last summer. Mind blown. Just completely blown to bits. I was utterly destroyed. Nobody else has ever played guitar like that. After that show I found myself totally re-evaluating what I'm trying to do as a guitar player. Which, as it is, happens every several years when I end up back on a Jeff Beck kick again. But this time is different, like it always is. When I grow up, I want to be Jeff Beck.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    scrimmer, RedRock, gitold and 4 others like this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like Jeff but I wish he would lay off the whammy bar on half of his songs or better yet play a telecaster with traditional bridge more often.

11. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

WOW. Watched the first three tunes. I'm a little overwhelmed. THANK YOU for posting that, I'll be watching all of it.

gitold and 8barlouie like this.
  12. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

As already answered, Tal Wilkenfeld. She has her own album out now. The people at the British 'Guitarist' magazine were impressed, giving it 10/10 which they rarely do.

kafka, Nubs, dogmeat and 4 others like this.
  13. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Meister

Jeff is my favorite rock guitarist, he consistently performs at a peak level. Seeing him live reminds me how much can be done with a Stratocaster. I love Hendrix, Brian May, Joe Perry, and others but Jeff Beck’s variety of volume, tone, and whammy bar manipulations he applies to his strat really inspire me. It takes great listening skills to do that as well as he does on the fly.

14. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

Sorry but I don't get him

Never did

Just taste

Bellacaster, 8barlouie and Bones like this.
  15. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

I just think that he is impressive. I enjoy some of his music, the rest is ... too difficult(?). Certainly not easy listening, and he is not sticking to traditional and common ways of using his guitars.

Bones, 8barlouie and stinkey like this.
  16. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

The heavier jazz/rock stuff he sometimes does is not really my thing -- but he does it incredibly well. Yet the way he works a Strat on some of the ballad style songs he plays just blows me away. What a wonderful and individual technique -- how the hell does he do that?

Some years ago a box set of blues cds was released and one covered the development of 'British blues' (which I always thought was a contradiction in terms, but let's not go there!). Jeff Beck was guitar player in a small house band assembled for some live contributions. Backing up Tom Jones in a version of Stormy Monday, Beck gave a wonderfully subtle example of how to accompany a singer without getting in the way -- as an example of knowing when to play and when not to play it was perfect. As Ry Cooder once put it, "Most guitar players play too much." Not Jeff Beck -- you get everything you need, but nothing you don't.

17. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

I just watched Still on the Run and Live at Hollywood Bowl a couple of weeks ago. He's one of a kind. Every now and then you hear people wonder what Jimi Hendrix would have done had he lived longer. Well, I don't worry about it. We still have Jeff Beck.

2 Headed Goat, gitold, Flyboy and 3 others like this.
  18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I saw jeff with Jan Hammer doing the wired tour, a really fine event

this video took place after the Eric clapton fund raiser for the the drug rehab center that Eric sponsors , the crossroads center, Jeff explains that after he did the crossroads show he asked Eric to join him at Ronnie Scotts for this video and Eric said " No", Jeff said to "what do you Mean ,No ?" so Eric agreed to come on stage for I believe 2 songs,
    Jeff was a little nervous because Ronnie Scott's is a Jazz club, Jeff goes on to explain How He met Tal Wilkenfeld through his drummer and was blown away by how good she was, then Jeff shows his guitar collection, which by most standards is really small, for a person of his stature.

this is a great video and the behind the scenes video gives a great insight to jeff himself well worth owning!

Plus his killer rendition of "A day in the life"

If you look carefully at the end of the song you might see a quick glimpse of Jimmy page in the audience

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    stinkey, ruger9, RedRock and 7 others like this.
  19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

One my all time favorite players.

20. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

I watched a special on Jeff Beck, think it might have been Showtime where both David Gilmore and Eric Clapton said they have no idea how he does what he does. The dude is amazing, listened to him for 40+ years and I am still in awe.

SAguitar, stinkey, RedRock and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.