Jeff Beck in 1975

loudboy

Tele-Holic
I recall also with that Les Paul he bought at a music store in Memphis,
it also had the neck shaved down some too prior to him buying it.
A LOT of people did that to their '50s LPs. Kinda discredits the "fatter is better" gang.
all Strat when I saw him around 1975
Mahavisnhu Orchestra was the opener
I saw that tour, except Beck opened - I think it was a co-headliner thing, where they'd switch off. Also, Bernard Purdie on drums.

It was in a place with horrible acoustics, and Mahavishnu Orchestra had a LOT of players. Sonic mush, we left after about 10 minutes.
He gets a great sound out of "She's a Woman" -
there is drive and midrange there, a thickness without perceived distortion- playing dynamically, but at loud amp volume?
Considering he's deaf as a post now, most likely.

Short on cash

Tele-Meister
In my mind that Paul is THE Paul !

Gibson has made a few through the years
with what was called "Oxblood" finish. Beautiful finish, hums and
the wrap around bridge.....doesn't get any better !

If they weren't so stupid priced I'd have at least 2 !

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Interesting

I thought they were still on the floor

Who would have thought

Skip forward to the 3:00 mark in the video below to avoid the stupidly long and pointless intro (done to make the video about 10 minutes long and monetizable):

And! Look here at the 8:40 point in the video:

And an article here:

Last edited:

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My friend and excellent guitar player did a Jeff Beck Wired/Blow by Blow tribute show at the local jazz club in town last night, which was very good. Even before I started playing guitar I must have listened to those two records on end for period of years and this morning, I dug out my one and only Jeff Beck Bootleg from Vancouver, BC in 1975.

He is absolutely DESTROYING the guitar and I have to believe that he was still using a pick at that time and not playing a Strat but a Les Paul at a very loud volume.

Jeff Beck nerds of the forum what say you?
I caught thatb conert I had just ome back from the Yukon at the time and was living in Vancouver , I banged into @boxocrap at that concert that night soo cool .

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
Truth is one of my top favorite albums ever. still valid, still rocks, killer tones... thats over 50 years ago.

takauya

Tele-Meister
I really enjoy listening to the drummer, Richard Bailey, when I listen to BBB. I think he was a teenager when it was recorded.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
A LOT of people did that to their '50s LPs. Kinda discredits the "fatter is better" gang.

I saw that tour, except Beck opened - I think it was a co-headliner thing, where they'd switch off. Also, Bernard Purdie on drums.

It was in a place with horrible acoustics, and Mahavishnu Orchestra had a LOT of players. Sonic mush, we left after about 10 minutes.

Considering he's deaf as a post now, most likely.

Well if JB's deaf as a post here-- even tho not too many years ago on this video, I'll take Jeff Beck "deaf as a post!!"

Talk about nuance here on Nadia:

Spox

Tele-Meister
I remember when You Had It Coming was released in 2001 and the DJ John Peel was playing tracks from it and said that he really underestimated it thinking it would be a tired rehash and instead found it to be fresh and contemporary. He also talked about DJing in Scandinavia in the first half of the 70s and how people would approach him asking for Yif Bik and how it took him awhile to release that they were asking him to play Jeff Beck.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Skip forward to the 3:00 mark in the video below to avoid the stupidly long and pointless intro (done to make the video about 10 minutes long and monetizable):

And! Look here at the 8:40 point in the video:

And an article here:

I actually saw one of these for sale recently on reverb

I can’t remember if it was made by kustom or a copy, and didn’t think about it till you called it “the bag” because that’s is exactly what it looked like

I just didn’t understand that it was worn on a shoulder strap

Pretty interesting history there, I guess if you invent something cool never show it to anyone until you get a patent

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
I wore the grooves off of "Blow by Blow" when it was released. Those were the days of large stereo component systems. I probably had a 30 watt Marantz, a Dual turntable and some Wharfdale or AR speakers back then. I can't remember. Back then, one of the first purchases you made after getting a decent job was a nice stereo system.